Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Home solar power
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 3:01 pm 
I had a rep from Ellensburg Solar come buy today and give me an estimate on a system for my house. We did the math based on last years power usage from PSE. Looks like I can get a system here that will cover my entire electricity needs. 25 year warranty and no more electric bills! Electricity is going up big time in the near future, Im going to get ready for that. Ill post pics when Im done.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 3:09 pm 
The drummer in my band is a solar panel rep. He is doing a huge remodel on his house and will have a total off the grid system installed. Full capacity storage batteries, the whole works. 25 years? Hmmm, sounds like the technologies are quite a bit better than the examples in fake videos out there stating 2012 and earlier statistics as being the current ones (and hiding the dates of their info).

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
neek

neek
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 4:01 pm 
Google has a neat tool that shows you your potential benefit, if you're in an area they have a lidar model of. https://www.google.com/get/sunroof Supposedly it would take me 20 years to break even, but probably makes more sense on the east side. Also they are probably not factoring in that everyone will have an electric car in their garage in a few years.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 4:34 pm 
We have a couple hundred watts of solar on a camper and it pretty much negates the need to plug in. Works better in the southwest than western Washington but here it still works.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 4:44 pm 
I installed a small set of solar panels (400 watts) on my motorhome. They have worked well for me -- providing more than enough power to run the basic appliances and lighting in my rig without runnng the generator. I didn't install enough panels to run the air conditioner. Other RVers basically cover their rig's roof with enough panels so that they can run their AC without firing the generator. This works well if you are hanging in AZ, NM, SoCal in non-winter months. EBurg/Cle Elum gets a lot of cloud coverage in the winter -- so while I think installing enough panels to run house appliances/lighting during the winter is feasible -- I would want to carefully review the contractor's solar plan if they are building out to the point that you coud run a heat pump off of solar for heating during the winter. Adding that much capacity might not be cost effective. Runnng the heat pump off of solar during the summer for cooling seems like an ideal usage of solar power -- the most power is available when you need it the most.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 9:29 pm 
Our tiny RV has 90W solar, sure is nice on a sunny day to not worry about battery. We got home solar about 6-7 years ago when the incentives were so favorable, and it's already paid for itself. Prices apparently have dropped quite a bit since then. We got twice as much as we needed, thinking we'd get an electric car, but that hasn't happened yet. So we use the excess to heat the house during winter. I think we have 5.7 kW, but can't remember the exact number. Our solar inverter was recalled, so they gave us a new one. Should be good for quite awhile.

Brian R

Brian R
PostWed Jun 09, 2021 9:56 pm 
For a number of reasons solar just doesn't appeal, but looking to do a windmill/battery backup setup on the new Montana place once it's close to completion. Not even sure where to start.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jun 10, 2021 12:07 am 
Seems like a good investment since electrical rates keep going up, I should install a micro hydro turbine at my property since it boarders a creek, although not sure if that would be legal givin environmental impact regs. But I burn wood for heat and qualify for a PUD discount, so solar probably would not be worth it for me.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Jun 10, 2021 6:32 am 
I am not privy to the info but there are several homes here including a nursing home that have solar panels on the roofs

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 6:43 am 
our glorious governor signed a bill preventing new construction from connecting to natural gas for heat. Couple that with their attempt to kill 30% of our electrical production coming from coal and electricity is going to not only go up hard but the stress on the grid is going to cause brown outs like Kalifornia. I really dont want to deal with that. I recently had a Mitsubishi Hyper Heat system installed. That will allow me to use heat pump technology in temps as low as -15 degrees. They are very electrically efficient.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 8:32 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
our glorious governor signed a bill preventing new construction from connecting to natural gas for heat.
My check of HB 1084 / SB 5093 is that they haven't yet passed the legislature. Also these bills propose an end to natural gas hook ups in new construction in 2030. Doesn't seem like this would restrict your project, unless you are really dragging out construction. https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=1084&Initiative=false&Year=2021 Are you thinking of some other legislation? Which bill specifically?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 12:02 pm 
Thanks for clearing that up Rand. Im glad I was wrong about that. Its just re4ally hard for me to do any reaserch these days.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 6:55 am 
The few people I have known who were off grid with solar all had wood stoves for winter heat. They also had backup generators. One family in Wisconsin hoped that the sun reflecting off the ice on Lk Superior would help in the winter. The other family, in the Randle area had a water wheel for winter until the creek froze up. Then they were a bit in the dark. They pumped their well water uphill to a tank, using a gas powered pump for water in their house. To vacuum, the generator had to be run and I think it also had to run for the washing machine to work. Their house was built as a passive solar house with large windows facing south and lots of insulation. The Wisconsin house also was built that way and with tile floors to store heat. The Randle friends were off grid until the 1990s when the PUD moved their lines after a flood and made it cheaper to hook up. They love having power from the PUD supplied and there isn't so much yelling about lights being left on. I realize solar has improved immensely since then. I have suitcase solar panels that keep my trailer battery charged up. They worked even in the cloudy weather a week ago in W. Oregon. It just takes longer on an overcast day. My panels are not fixed and can be moved around to get better exposure. I get curious as my current house would be perfect. It even seems as if the 1950s builder purposely built a passive solar house. Unlike many E. Warshington houses, this one has eaves that deflect the summer sun but allow in the winter sun.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:01 am 
tree,,, my housekeeper is off grid, lives way back in a draw in the low hills,,, has updated to solar with gas backup generators, she says it took a bit to get used to but they love it now,,, lots of land, animals, kids are home schooled.....

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 8:54 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
our glorious governor signed a bill preventing new construction from connecting to natural gas for heat. Couple that with their attempt to kill 30% of our electrical production coming from coal and electricity is going to not only go up hard but the stress on the grid is going to cause brown outs like Kalifornia.
This is the kind of thing that infuriates moderate liberals like myself. The far left is as guilty as the far right with attempting to impose various social engineering measures on the citizenry, without consideration of the consequences. It would make more sense to offer incentives rather than outright banning of certain things, especially given the economic consequences to those of moderate means. Maybe the building and natural gas industries will team up and sue. The politicians probably haven't even considered brownouts. Wait another few years and everyone west of the Cascades is going to need AC all summer. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood