Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:13 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
The politicians probably haven't even considered brownouts
Except no such legislation was passed by the legislature and signed by the governor, as was pointed out earlier in this thread. A bill was introduced, but it never got out of committee. Reps in safe districts have a practice of introducing outlandish bills for symbolism. One of my favorites was a measure to make witchcraft illegal, proposed by Ellen Craswell

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:35 pm 
^^^ I did note your earlier comment to that effect, Randito. It's the first volley. This will come up again. And I've no doubt the city of Seattle will attempt the same, and the CC will pass it, if they haven't done it already.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
^^^ I did note your earlier comment to that effect, Randito. It's the first volley. This will come up again. And I've no doubt the city of Seattle will attempt the same, and the CC will pass it, if they haven't done it already.
Most new construction in Seattle is tearing down single family homes and replacing them with modular construction apartments, which only use electricity anyway. So more sound and fury signifying nothing legislation. Of course these sorts of details matter little to conservative voters, who readily lap up "outrage" peddled by conservative owned media companies without questioning it or even considering independently verifying the information presented against other sources.

Malachai Constant
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 7:38 pm 
I have no real desire to be off grid. Battery technology just isnt there to support that idea realistically, and the cost is to the moon Alice.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Randito
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 9:22 pm 
We're ok having the utility "store" the energy in summer, so we can use it in winter. Look ma, no batteries! Also, instead of a freezer we store frozen food at the grocery store! Well, that was until Dayhike Mike gave us their old freezer.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 10:29 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Also, instead of a freezer we store frozen food at the grocery store! Well, that was until Dayhike Mike gave us their old freezer.
If you have a big chest freezer at home with hundreds of dollars of food stored in it -- a generator with a couple weeks supply of fuel is worth considering.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 10:53 pm 
A generator is good to have. I bought one for $250 on sale half price, 3500 running watts, so just a small one, but what I really like about it is that it runs on both petro and propane and I already keep a stock of propane to cook and shower with.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jun 20, 2021 11:41 pm 
I have a mini generator that provides just enough power to run the fridge, freezer and the blower motor/electronics in my natrual gas furnace. Uses very little fuel and doesn't make a racket.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jun 21, 2021 7:17 am 
Are there lockers available to rent anymore? When I lived in Twisp years ago, I used a cooler on the unheated porch as a fridge and rented a meat locker at the boot repair/liquor store. It was quite cheap. By spring, I had saved up enough for a used fridge.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities