Forum Index > Trail Talk > Artist Point Road SR542 Closure - ***NOW OPEN***
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jun 11, 2021 8:19 am 
Just received this from WSDOT SR 542 to Artist Point remains closed as crews plan for summer repair work on crumbling wall Work underway to open the road up to Terminal Lake parking lot GLACIER – Beginning the week of Monday, June 14, geotech engineers will assess the condition of a crumbling wall that forced an early closure of State Route 542/Mount Baker Highway late last fall. This will help determine when the road may fully reopen to Artists Point. In October, hillside erosion caused a portion of the wall to crumble. The highway closed early, ahead of snowfall, to reduce the risks of an uncontrolled collapse over the winter. At that time, crews removed a section of the wall to keep it from falling on the outdoor recreational areas below. The wall is located at milepost 55.6 and sits above the Heather Meadows Visitor Center, Chain Lakes Loop trailhead and Austin Pass Picnic area. Erosion below and behind the wall – built in the 1930s – requires extensive rehabilitation, but there is no current funding available for the long-term repairs. Later this summer contractor crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation will return to temporarily stabilize the slope and wall until funding becomes available for permanent repair work. Maintenance crews are currently clearing snow on SR 542 up to the Terminal Lake parking lot. Once the road is cleared, WSDOT will work with the US Forest Service to move the road closure gate from Heather Meadows parking lot (MP 54.72) to the Terminal Lake lot (MP 55.3), but the rest of the roadway will stay closed for the time being. It is WSDOT’s goal to re-open the final stretch of SR 542 to Artist Point later this summer, but that depends on the condition of the wall, the amount of snow and the work needed to temporarily stabilize the hillside. The Road to Artist Point This stretch of highway, known as the Road to Artist Point, is narrow with sharp curves and steep slopes. Each winter, WSDOT closes it to vehicle traffic to keep travelers safe, while at the same time a portion of the road becomes part of Mt. Baker Ski Area’s terrain. Typically, during the summer months WSDOT crews start clearing the final 2.7 miles of Mount Baker Highway as well as the Artist Point parking lot. Crumbling wall: www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/50432952158/in/album-72157716299306343/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostFri Jun 11, 2021 5:41 pm 
Thank you for the update

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 11:16 am 
Thanks, but what the heck is "Terminal Lake"? I've been to the area many times and I have no idea what that refers to.

Mountainpines
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 11:39 am 
Foist wrote:
Thanks, but what the heck is "Terminal Lake"? I've been to the area many times and I have no idea what that refers to.
Terminal lake is on a little loop trail next to the Mountaineers Lodge

Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 3:03 pm 
Is it safe to leave your belongings in your car at Artist Point if it does open up or at Austin Pass?

uww

uww
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 3:31 pm 
You are always rolling the dice leaving anything in your car. I would not leave anything essential. I've lived/hiked in a few regions and the petty crime in the PNW seems much worse than anywhere else. You will probably be ok as Artist point is a little less secluded and busy than the 'worst' spots- lots of traffic and people stopping for a few minutes. But I would not be shocked to hear you got something stolen either.

Mountainpines, seawallrunner
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 15, 2021 4:11 pm 
Mountainpines wrote:
Is it safe to leave your belongings in your car at Artist Point if it does open up or at Austin Pass?
Cars parked at trailheads are alway at risk of getting broken into. This isn't a new issue -- I had my POS car broken into at Eigthmile Trailhead in 1975 and they stole my tools (essential for keeping a hunk of junk mobile) A paddling friend of mine adopted technique for encouraging thieves to move on to the next car of having an old blanket with various items of garbage glued onto the blanket -- including some tighty whiteys with shoe polish skid marks applied. He used to blanket to cover his change of clothes, etc. He attempted to make his car look like one of those cars owned by someone with "hoarding syndrome" However he always carried high value items like wallets, cameras, phones in a dry bag with him in the kayak.

Mountainpines  mosey, Riverside Laker
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSat Jun 19, 2021 7:41 am 
Do you have any update? Did they give any timeframe?

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Aug 17, 2021 4:25 pm 
Per WSDOT the road is now open: SR 542 to Artist Point reopens after crews complete temporary repairs on crumbling wall Travelers can now access the highway past Heather Meadows Visitor Center GLACIER – The final 1.8-mile stretch of State Route 542/Mount Baker Highway to Artist Point reopened to non-oversized vehicles today, Tuesday, Aug. 17. Temporary repairs to the crumbling wall that forced an early closure of the highway late last fall are complete. In October 2020, hillside erosion caused a portion of the wall to crumble. The highway closed early, ahead of snowfall, to reduce the risks of an uncontrolled collapse over the winter. At that time, crews removed a section of the wall to keep it from falling on the outdoor recreational areas below. The wall is located at milepost 55.6 and sits above the Heather Meadows Visitor Center, Chain Lakes Loop trailhead and Austin Pass Picnic area. Erosion below and behind the wall – built in the 1930s – requires extensive rehabilitation, but there is no current funding available for the long-term repairs. This summer contractor crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation worked to temporarily stabilize the slope and wall until funding becomes available for permanent repair work. The Road to Artist Point This stretch of highway, known as the Road to Artist Point, is narrow with sharp curves and steep slopes. Each winter, WSDOT closes it to vehicle traffic to keep travelers safe, while at the same time a portion of the road becomes part of Mt. Baker Ski Area’s terrain. Typically, during the summer months, WSDOT crews start clearing the final 2.7 miles of Mount Baker Highway as well as the Artist Point parking lot. Hyperlinks within the release: Crumbling wall: flickr.com/photos/wsdot/50432952158/in/album-72157716299306343/ Removed a section: flickr.com/photos/wsdot/50483216913/in/album-72157716299306343/ Road to Artist Point: wsdot.wa.gov/travel/highways-bridges/passes/artist-point/home Baker Ski Area’s terrain: www.mtbaker.us/trail-map/ Start clearing: flickr.com/photos/wsdot/albums/72157708924839257

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 17, 2021 7:27 pm 
Just read about this on FB as well, will definitely be a place to avoid on weekends....here comes the thundering herd!!!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 5:31 am 
I got the news off Facebook as well yesterday. Then I was lucky when I visited end of July/Early August. I walked. The scenery was nice anyway. It did include hikers at the Artist Point, but not many. We were alone on the hwy except for cyclists the entire way. smile.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 8:35 am 
Yeah, my boss said he and his family are going this weekend. He didn't know about the closure, and planned the trip a long time ago. I advised he change his plans, but .... too much logistics b.s. to deal with, as various family members from around the state are all going. They're going to give it a shot.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 8:42 am 
The absurdly early morning start still works around here. Not like Yosemite, where you are joined by 100 other people at 6 am as you start your hike (still better than the 1000 that will be there an hour later). Artist point wont be crowded at sunrise, and when you get back from your hike, you can auction off your parking spot to the highest bidder.