Forum Index > Trail Talk > Temporary (winter only) huts proposed in Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie Wilderness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
philfort

philfort
PostWed Jun 23, 2021 1:10 pm 
Yeah, that's like double the cost of the 8 person Scottish Lakes huts (which probably have better amenities). I wonder if they'll be able to fill slots.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Jun 23, 2021 2:04 pm 
I assume $800 a night is the price for the entire, 8 person, hut? I bet this place is booked solid for the next several years already. Demand for backcountry huts is like demand for freeways. Even if you build more, the demand doesn't go down any.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Jun 24, 2021 8:35 am 
So when you book your stay in the Twin Sisters Hut (situated at 3200' max) 8 months in advance what's the chance you're skiing powder vs watching your dreams wash away? No thanks. But agreed that if this comes to fruition it will be permanently booked up. (Curiously the Twin Sisters are not FS land, at least not where there are navigable roads. Its all private or patches of DNR)

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jun 24, 2021 9:09 am 
Ya, for a North Twin hut, they would have to work with the private land owner for access, who I assume would gladly allow snowmobile access up the logging roads for a fee (I think they are already doing this for guiding companies). The hut could be on Forest Service land as it goes private property, National Forest for a small sliver, and then wilderness. And yes, this hut would likely be low elevation but Mt. Baker ski area base is at 3,500 ft and North Twin summit 6,644 ft. I've always wondered how mid winter conditions would be in the Twin Sisters. They are as exposed as any mountain in the Cascades, but probably don't benefit from the Frasier River outflow that helps keep Baker Ski area snowing despite the low elevation.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 8:19 am 
Perhaps this is in another thread, but this one is permitted and scheduled to begin operations this winter. Lots of snowmobiling in the area outside of wilderness. That community is likely not happy.... I am reserving judgement, just providing info to the thread. https://www.bcadventureguides.com/trip/fortune-creek-hut/

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 9:16 am 
Ah, thanks John. I am sorry for the community. Side note: Louise Marshall (of Signpost Magazine, morphed into WTA) tried to rally funds from Signposters to purchase much of Van Epps Pass when it was clear it wouldn't be included in the plans for ALW. I have never seen Van Epps Pass, but it must be nice; if nothing else, a gateway, which is probably what she saw in it.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
DadFly

DadFly
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 10:32 am 
Once they get a foothold it will expand. And expand again, etc. There are no private companies out there building more wilderness or wild places or natural eco systems. Our natural eco systems are already diminished and shrinking everywhere. It is worrisome that no one here knows of any opportunity for public comment. Getting a private concession on public lands without public input takes power, money and careful coordination. This suggests the ability to expand unfettered.

"May you live in interesting times"
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 10:46 am 
DadFly wrote:
Once they get a foothold it will expand. And expand again, etc. There are no private companies out there building more wilderness or wild places or natural eco systems. Our natural eco systems are already diminished and shrinking everywhere. It is worrisome that no one here knows of any opportunity for public comment. Getting a private concession on public lands without public input takes power, money and careful coordination. This suggests the ability to expand unfettered.
I'd be surprised if there was not a public comment scoping period. But it is up to us to review, continuously, the National Forest's Schedule of Proposed Actions. Then get the word out to concerned others.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.

Cyclopath
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 11:07 am 
Here are current & recent past SOPA (Schedule of Proposed Actions) entries on OK-WEN's site: I found a few outfitter projects in the archived Projects page. archives projects page: I don't see this particular project here, but as John says, it does take monitoring. Current and Recent SOPA reports come out once a month. Each forest has their own SOPA page, under the Land & Resource Management, and Projects and Policies page. It's not hard to click on it. I had subscribed to the MBS feed time and again over the years. You (me, at least) occasionally fall off the listserv, so you have to manually go to the website. Outfitter plans might also be in the Access & Travel Management Plan for the various watersheds; not sure.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 11:10 am 
Here's one from 2012 that lists some snowmobile and ski guide services. These things seem to 10 year permits, so any up for renewal would be a public comment. Not sure how new locations are chosen. that's the big question. Posted this just for reference.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 11:50 am 
This came up in a google search: https://m.facebook.com/WSSAUS/posts/10164811859215641. Appears the WSSA is planning to file an injunction if the FS does not rescind the permit for Fortune Creek huts. This comment was added to the fb post last week:
Quote:
Good afternoon. I thought it would be appropriate to update all of our members and users. I appreciate everyone's patience as this has been a slow and timely process trying to work with the USFS. Since February WSSA has been consistently trying to work with the USFS sit at the table and work through the numerous concerns regarding the process of which they decided to issue an outfitters permit in the Van Epps Pass area. The continued delay tactics demonstrated by the USFS has required WSSA to retain a law firm and officially notify the USFS our intention to file a Federal Injunction within the next coming days if they do not rescind/cancel the permit. Here is the documentation that was sent to the USFS Supervisor in Wenatchee: VIA ELECTRONIC MAIL Kristin Bail, Forest Supervisor Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest, Cle Elum Ranger District 803 W. Second Ave Cle Elum, WA 98922 Re: Special Use Permit- Wenatchee Mountains Alpine Huts Dear Ms. Bail: On behalf of the Washington State Snowmobile Association (“WSSA”), we are writing to express serious concerns with respect to a special use permit that the Forest Service (“FS”) issued to the Wenatchee Mountains Alpine Huts LLC to construct seasonal lodging facilities in the Van Epps Pass and the Scatter Peaks Basins in the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest. The FS issued the permit without complying with governing permit requirements which include—at a minimum-- opportunity for public notice and involvement and compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (“NEPA”). In issuing the permit to construct and operate seasonal lodging facilities, the FS neither informed and involved the public in the permitting process, nor satisfied the corresponding special use permitting and NEPA requirements. 36 C.F.R. §251.54; 36 C.F.R. §220.3- 220.4. See also Forest Service National Environmental Policy Act Handbook (FSH 1909.15). As a consequence, the permit now allows a use that both poses a serious risk to public health and safety and that conflicts with existing uses. Id. Unless the FS immediately rescinds or withdraws the permit to correct these serious violations, WSSA will be forced to seek a federal injunction to stop work pursuant to the permit and to revoke the same. More specifically, the area in question has been heavily used by snowmobilers for more than fifty years. In issuing a permit to allow the construction and operation of winter lodging facilities for backcountry skier/snowboarders and snowshoers, the FS has introduced a use that will both compete with and render unsafe existing and future uses of this FS land. 36 C.F.R. §251.54 (e)(1)(v) (prohibiting permitting of a proposed use that unreasonably conflicts with or interferes with other authorized uses). The narrow dimensions of the road make it such that the road cannot be easily or safely shared by cross country or back country skiers and snowmobilers. Kristin Bail, Forest Supervisor July 16, 2021 Page 2 111649991.1 0040924-00001 Under these circumstances, the permit should not have issued. 36 C.F.R. §251.54(e)(1)(v) and (2). Moreover, the existing road on which materials will be hauled to set up and take down the seasonal lodging is not conducive for the amount of traffic required for these seasonal construction activities, and the wear and tear on the existing primitive access road and groomed snowmobile trail was not adequately contemplated nor addressed in the issued permit. Nor were parking and waste concerns adequately addressed or mitigated through the lack of permitting process and environmental review provided by the FS in this matter. Most importantly, the avalanche risk posed by the permitted activities was grossly underrepresented. WSSA has grave concerns that the number of user trips contemplated by the permit will create a significant risk of a serious avalanche that will be very difficult for responders to reach. Accordingly, issuance of a permit under these circumstances should have been prohibited under FS regulations. 36 C.F.R. §251.54(e)(1)(iii)(proposed use must not pose serious or substantial risk to public health or safety). WSSA understands that construction activities are poised to begin in the next several weeks. Accordingly, representatives of WSSA hereby request an opportunity to discuss these issues with you and your staff in the next week. In the absence of a commitment from the FS to immediately revoke the permit, WSSA will be prepared to commence litigation to obtain an injunction to prevent the irreparable harm that will otherwise ensue. (end of statement) Once we have more information to provide to our members and users WSSA will do so. Please feel free to share to everyone you feel should be informed about this. Best regards, Jason Holmes District 5 North Representative.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 1:36 pm 
Quote:
In issuing a permit to allow the construction and operation of winter lodging facilities for backcountry skier/snowboarders and snowshoers, the FS has introduced a use that will both compete with and render unsafe existing and future uses of this FS land.
I'm not a fan of this project for reasons already mentioned, but I don't really get the snowmobilers viewpoint. That just reads to me like "we don't want to share." What will be rendered unsafe exactly? I'm not a NEPA expert but if these will be tents/yurts, not buildings, do they have to go through NEPA?

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 1:54 pm 
I'm pretty indifferent on the huts, but don't like it if the FS did in fact violate notice and comment rules. These huts are right on the wilderness boundary and the customers will be recreating in the wilderness. Even if the huts are only in the winter, you still need to use the roads either in the summer (high clearance vehicle) or winter (snowmobile) to bring every thing in and out. If the FS can fast track a project like this, think of the precedent it would set? With all that said, backcountry skiing has exploded in popularity in Washington in recent years and if you are going to put huts anywhere in WA, the Fortune Creek huts seem to be in a good location. Close enough to the population centers but far enough away that it feels different than the typical places people ski next to the resorts. It's East side of the Cascades so colder, better snow. It's an area that doesn't get skied in the winter without using a snowmobile for access. There is already a road right to the hut location. There's also a history of snowmobiles illegally entering the wilderness in this area, so it's not like the snowmobiles have been great at complying with the rules (yes, it's just a few bad apples). So if the huts end up here, I am ok with it, but only if the FS has complied with all their own rules.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 2:05 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I'm not a NEPA expert but if these will be tents/yurts, not buildings, do they have to go through NEPA?
Yes; the nexus is federal jurisdiction/public lands; in this case it seems the human environment issue is noise, emissions, and the taking away of certain uses (snowshoers can be impacted) permitting, and its impact on social/economic issues. Managing the land is a public process & unless a project falls under a Categorical Exclusion (removing hazard trees from a campground, minor trail reroute), they gotta offer it.

kiliki
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 2:48 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I'm not a fan of this project for reasons already mentioned, but I don't really get the snowmobilers viewpoint. That just reads to me like "we don't want to share." What will be rendered unsafe exactly?
My guess is that they fear an increase in xc skiiers will eventually end up with a beef against snowmobilers, as typically does happen with human powered vs motorized use; and because it's close to the wilderness boundary, snowmobilers may fear eventually being ousted. (I think that's a valid fear, to be honest) The "danger" reads like typical boilerplate danger; feigning concern for the new users on the scene and access for SAR to save them. I'm not saying they don't actually care about safety; but it's a typical argument and an argument would seem self-serving if it didn't include any concerns about safety. I don't know what the road is like that they discuss and if seasonal assembly of yurts and accoutrements would damage a road. Perhaps it is a valid concern, though when the snow falls, the road is under snow, and do snowmobilers really care about the road??? Perhaps; they may like to drive the road in summer to access the area.