Forum Index > Trail Talk > MISSING hiker at middle fork trail in Snoqualmie
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Jun 30, 2021 2:10 pm 
Agreed....interesting to hear he did have some gear....& it sounds like he kept a cool head...didn't keep plunging further afield...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
philfort

philfort
PostWed Jun 30, 2021 4:33 pm 
Don't think I've ever seen acorns/oaks there. Weird. The story still doesn't make any sense to me. It was also mentioned here: https://abcnews.go.com/US/hiker-overcame-mental-hurdles-survive-days-missing-wilderness/story?id=78533463&cid=social_twitter_wnt
Quote:
He climbed a tree and spotted acorns, which he figured noted a trail.
He spotted acorns in the tree he climbed? Why would that indicate a trail? Oh wait no in the kiro interview he said it was an "acorned trail". So he climbed a tree and saw acorns far down on the ground, and assumed that indicated a trail? New Cascades survivial tip for when you're lost: climb trees and try to look for acorns.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Jun 30, 2021 4:38 pm 
He was probably just avoiding a wedding...

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Jun 30, 2021 4:59 pm 
It is probably just a typo for "cairns", oak trees do not grow in conifer mountain forest and are pretty rare around here, sadly. If you spent so many days lost, you will also probably say lots of wrong words. It is really fortunate he got out safely.

philfort

philfort
PostWed Jun 30, 2021 5:25 pm 
Good catch. Maybe he told the rescuers he'd found a pile of rocks, and they were like "a cairn?". And from then on he thought they were called acairns/acorns, and the incredible journalists at kiro didn't question it.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jun 30, 2021 6:01 pm 
The reporter likely typed acirns instead of cairns and his computer autocorrected the word entered as acorns. But much more importantly is that he is back home safely with the ones who love him. Would that all of these searches end in such a way.

seawallrunner, kitya
fjoro

fjoro
PostWed Jun 30, 2021 6:06 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
Gawd I'm really getting tired of these overly sensitive people here who can miss read the typing on a thread
LOL.

How would Horatio Alger have handled this situation?
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jun 30, 2021 7:24 pm 
I just saw the hiker on TV. He definitely says “acorns”. I think he meant “cairns” but either isn’t adept with the word usage yet and it came out “acorns” or he is still a little ketotic from his starvation diet and not mentally nimble. Again we should all rejoice that he is with us. In August I was asked to be a member of a recovery team. The family of the missing person has sadness and uncertainty shrink wrapped around them. When someone walks back to their family it is a success story.

RumiDude  Kim Brown
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 12:00 am 
puzzlr wrote:
KIRO: Hiker shares story of survival after spending nine days lost near North Bend Including video interview. But very little to figure out what went wrong. I agree with Schroder -- more to this story. But I'm glad he's out. There have been too many hikers lost without a trace in the last year.
Quote:
He hit the trail with a plastic water bottle, a thermos, and two cans of Mountain Dew -- he didn’t bring any food, knowing he had a can of SpaghettiOs pasta waiting for him in his car upon his return. Then, in what felt like an instant, he was lost. “I was following what I thought was the trail and then I just remember being off in my own head for about 40 minutes and then I look back and there’s no trail,” Devers recalled. Devers said he spent the first six hours screaming for help and trying to locate landmarks, but nothing worked.
Your link didn't work for me but this one did: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/exclusive-hiker-shares-story-survival-after-spending-nine-days-lost-near-north-bend/MA2XLWUGJVHHZELBMGU3LYQDKU/

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 10:02 am 
re acorns: I think you're overthinking this, by assuming that the good fellow knows an acorn from tiny pinecones...OR that he didn't just misspeak, and that that's what wound up in the broadcast.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 10:27 am 
I just don't see how one could get lost while hiking on a well-traveled trail. Old fishermans paths, that I'd understand..old abandoned non-maintained trails..I can understand..but Middle fork trail? I wish there was more info on HOW he got lost. Glad he's safe. In his interview he says he wants to join SAR - that is awesome!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 10:29 am 
He was on the way towards Pratt, according to the article (it says Pratt River trail). In several locations he would have to exit the RR grade and work his way around a washout. In any case, the man was out for several days and lived to tell the tale. That may have done me, or any one of us in.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

RumiDude, zimmertr
ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 10:29 am 
Are you sure that's the trail he was on? (the Middle Fork Trail)

philfort

philfort
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 10:44 am 
He could have been making his way to the Pratt River, or could have been Stegosaurus Butte... or Rainy Lake. That whole section along the middle fork is called Pratt River Trail, and is about 3 miles of trail before the actual Pratt River. The article mentions "a 3 mile hike" and "getting to the top".

pula58

pula58
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 11:02 am 
Oh, it was the Pratt River trail?