Forum Index > Trail Talk > MISSING hiker at middle fork trail in Snoqualmie
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:18 am 
zimmertr wrote:
https://www.backpacker.com/survival/out-alive-podcast/ This podcast creates similar content. They've made episodes on rock fall maiming people, grizzly maulings, crevasse falls on Rainier, etc. Episode 4 interviews someone who was struck by a Rattlesnake in the backcountry.
Amazingly enough, this podcast covered this exact story recently. https://www.stitcher.com/show/out-alive/episode/finding-life-on-the-edge-of-death-204477855 Pretty interesting to hear it from his point of view. Makes more sense hearing it from him and not the news. Still don't know what he ate that he thought was acorns but hey, he is alive. If you want to get real hot and bothered about someone being unprepared, listen to the story of the woman who tried to climb Hood alone with like, nothing.

zimmertr, Bernardo, car68
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 11:52 am 
SpookyKite89 wrote:
listen to the story of the woman who tried to climb Hood alone with like, nothing.
This is unfortunately not even that rare. My wife worked there as an interpretive ranger and would routinely get asked by flip-flop wearing tourists where the "summit trail" was. Stuff like that all the time apperently.

Chief Joseph  SpookyKite89
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 12:08 pm 
Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue mail checks via snail mail to: Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue 5506 Old Machias Rd. Snohomish, WA 98290 Don't wait for somebody else to do it. Just write the check and put it in the mail. Today. (and don't ask why)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

SpookyKite89
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 7:26 pm 
Gadgets can be a mixed bag when it comes to safety. In particular, based on how often I see requests for GPX tracks on FB skiing and climbing groups, it seems to me that there are non-trivial number of people heading into the mountains that would be less likely to do so if they needed to navigate solely using map and compass. Personally I have found the gadgets to be remarkably accurate, however there are places where the map data accuracy is not so much.

dave allyn, SpookyKite89
philfort

philfort
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 7:40 pm 
Randito wrote:
Personally I have found the gadgets to be remarkably accurate, however there are places where the map data accuracy is not so much.
An increasingly common problem is (what appear to be crowd-sourced) trails appearing on digital maps, and the trails are either: - completely overgrown/non-existent - on private property - in the completely wrong place ... but there is no way to know until you're there.

Now I Fly, mosey
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 8:14 pm 
Hazelnuts.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

SpookyKite89
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Jun 29, 2022 9:09 pm 
Great podcast of the lost hiker's story! It sounds like he went on the Middle Fork River Trail upstream and got lost where the trail was damaged/wiped out by the avalanche. The voices he creates/created to talk to himself are remarkable. He is living proof that folks have different abilities and what seems easy for some is hard for others, and at the same time he has talents, and he can do things that others can't. Despite having some self-doubts, his perseverance, love for his family, and drive to survive was/is remarkable. Well worth a listen for hikers and for the human interest.

car68, SpookyKite89
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 8:06 am 
I also really liked the podcast (while stuck waiting for a ferry), he is a fascinating, funny, and articulate guy. I'm trying to reconstruct how he got lost, since that part of his story is very vague. Does anyone know about the landslide and "trail closed" sign? Is that upstream or downstream from the bridge? What in the world is going on with the bit about trying to cross the river and getting swept away? You are either on the side with the road or the side with the trail. dizzy.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

SpookyKite89
SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 9:12 am 
I always thought he got lost on the pratt river trail but I am wondering if he got lost on the middle fork trail as that huge landslide took out a portion of it. I have only been on the middle fork trail post repair, but I feel like it would make sense if he got lost there. I always, er, usually have gadgets and maps with me and always study maps before I go out. However I will be the first to admit I can caught up just following what looks like a trail and boom, I realize I am not on trail. Crazy he was out during the heatwave, although looking back...being under trees and near the river during that heatwave was probably safer than being crammed in my apartment with no AC.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 10:11 am 
Wow, Spooky, thanks for posting this. Sounds like he was on the Mid Fk trail, not the Pratt; he said it was brushy in the beginning, which it is after about a minute, if not brushed out, which it wasn't that year, because it had been closed. Plus the landslide sign.....there's not one on the Pratt, which would be the Kaleetan creek washout if there is one at all... Interesting to hear about him hearing voices - that's common around streams. He feels he heard people respond to each other about his screaming for help. OF course I don't know for sure, but I think he was "hearing things," as one does around water. Another interesting piece is his ADD and his struggle with depression. (his explanation about the Mountain Dew is justification). I don't know much about depression; interestingly I had a conversation yesterday with someone who manages depression, and had suicidal thoughts after taking oxy, and I asked her for details about it and it sounds horrible and you can't reason and you have no control over those thoughts. Andrew's depression really seems to have played a big part of his ordeal, and his panic, the poor guy. I wonder if the Seattle police put 2+2 together and contacted SAR right away, ? It doesn't sound like they did; though his girlfriend didn't know where he was, she seems to have known he was hiking, so it seems the Sheriff's office should have been informed immediately.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

SpookyKite89
SpookyKite89

SpookyKite89
PostThu Jun 30, 2022 8:13 pm 
It sounded like SAR didn’t get involved until the girlfriend and friends were able to pinpoint which trail he may be on. It wouldn’t surprise that the police would wait for more info. He was a young man with previous mental health struggles and they had no idea what area to even begin looking. Sounds like the dude really lucked out in a lot of ways.

ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostFri Jul 01, 2022 7:49 pm 
The earlier parts of this thread make pretty clear that he was up the Pratt River. I'd say "nevermind" what he says in the podcast. The guy was out there for a week, it wouldn't be surprising if he conflated the warning sign that was at the left turn after the bridge, with the slide or slump that got him off track on the Pratt trail (which required a right turn). I mean, we know there aren't any acorns out there, so I sure some other details are a bit off.

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostSat Jul 02, 2022 9:12 am 
Some Missing 411 stuff right here. Glad he made it out okay.

Vesper Peak
car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 1:15 pm 
He actually lived in Tukwila. When he was reported missing the police were actively investigating. SAR responded Monday night when his car was found. With no idea which trail system he was on the search became large very quickly. I'm not aware of any dog team that was flown in. But it's possible. After the trail runners found him they had to run back to the trailhead then drive all the way into North Bend to get cell service. SAR responded immediately. When debriefed he was not clear on exactly where he went. He did go up the Pratt and lost the trail in the old landslide. (In fact another hiker did that as well later that year) I give him credit for refusing to quit and just die. Maybe his ADD makes him stubborn that way. It is incredibly difficult to spot people on the ground from a helicopter. Few hikers wear brightly colored clothing. Pro tip, If you are lost and trying to signal a helicopter you should make some movement, have something brightly colored. A strobe light works very well too. Even in the daylight. At night the crews will wear night vision goggles. A cell phone screen, flashlight etc can be seen for miles. Infrared cameras are not very effective at searching large forested areas. Too many targets. Large animals, etc.

I'm the guy 911 calls.

mosey, Mountainfisherman, SpookyKite89
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSun Jul 03, 2022 1:45 pm 
car68 wrote:
At night the crews will wear night vision goggles. A cell phone screen, flashlight etc can be seen for miles.
I read of a search once in the Michigan Upper Peninsula. Lost party had a bic lighter that did not light. But it sparked! Searchers with night vision gear easily saw it.

SpookyKite89, car68