Forum Index > Trail Talk > Horseshoe Basin, Cathedral Pass question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooandLu

MooandLu
PostThu Jun 24, 2021 8:06 am 
Hi everyone! We're planning to spend 4-5 nights in Pasayten next week, our first time going to Horseshoe Basin (we did Hidden Lakes last year). Planning to start at Iron Gate TH. We have two itinerary options: 1) Basecamp in Horseshoe Basin and spend the rest of our days ramblin', or 2) Take the Boundary Trail from HB and do an out-and-back to Cathedral Pass/Lakes/Amphitheater Mountain. We love a good death march, but we're not in peak backpacking shape for the season, so I'm pretty sure we're going to choose option 1. That being said, any chance anyone has done Cathedral Pass this season and can weigh in on conditions, difficulty of the Boundary Trail between HB and Cathedral Pass, tips, etc.? I checked recent satellite images on Gaia and it looked surprisingly melted out, and the Tonasket ranger I called said the weather is a month ahead of schedule, but wanted to check here too. Thanks so much in advance, it's really appreciated! (Also are these weather forecasts for real?! I keep hearing about blizzards in July in HB but wonder if we're going to fry....)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Silas

Silas
PostThu Jun 24, 2021 8:24 am 
We did the Cathedral Pass loop this time last year. A good amount of snow between Apex Pass (?) and Cathedral Lakes down to Remmel. Not sure about this year though, would imagine it would be the same or similar. Also did Horseshoe basin 10 or so years ago. Great spot, but does not quite compare to the Cathedral area in my opinion. Worth the death March for sure. You could also park at 30 mile and do the lollipop loop from there.

MooandLu

MooandLu
PostThu Jun 24, 2021 9:28 pm 
Silas wrote:
We did the Cathedral Pass loop this time last year. A good amount of snow between Apex Pass (?) and Cathedral Lakes down to Remmel. Not sure about this year though, would imagine it would be the same or similar. Also did Horseshoe basin 10 or so years ago. Great spot, but does not quite compare to the Cathedral area in my opinion. Worth the death March for sure. You could also park at 30 mile and do the lollipop loop from there.
Thank you so much for this!! I am not surprised Cathedral area surpasses Horseshoe Basin. I know myself too well and I'm 99% sure I'll wake up at our campsite the first day and go, "I feel like a 20-mile hike today!" lol.gif