Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Olympic Park Advocates
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jun 26, 2021 11:57 am 
Olympic Park Associates changed their name to Olympic Park Advocates. Http://Olympicparkadvocates.org

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian R

Brian R
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 10:04 am 
"We actively support road closures in Olympic National Forest to eliminate siltation of salmon streams and to protect sensitive backcountry sites from trampling."

trestle

trestle
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 10:33 am 
Their goal is to shut down the whole Dungeness road system.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
reststep

reststep
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 10:43 am 
Olympic Park Obstructionists might be a more appropriate name change.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

Gregory
altasnob

altasnob
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 10:38 am 
Everything this organization has accomplished since it's founding in 1948 is awful, which include: -adding the the Olympic coastal strip and Queets corridor to the park in the 1950s -organizing hikes with U.S. Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas to turn back efforts to build a highway along the Olympic coast -adding Shi Shi Beach and Lake Ozette to the park in the 1970s -designating 100,000 acres of Olympic National Forest as wilderness. -defeating hydro projects on the Dosewallips and Duckabush rivers -in 1992 helped pass the Elwha River Ecosystem Restoration Act which resulted in the removal of two dams on the Elwha River, -banning jet skis from Lake Crescent

trestle

trestle
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 1:00 pm 
I'm going to ignore your pointless sarcasm. Yes, they've done a lot of good over the decades but this is a different century. NCCC did a lot of good things once too. Now many view them as more obstructionist than helpful. While you were copying and pasting, you forgot one item: "halted air-lifting new shelters into remote locations in park wilderness" This was a very contentious and not popular advocacy move on their part. There's plenty of discussion on another thread so I'm not going to hash it out again here. Then they did this: "helped guide development of the park’s 2008 general management plan." But today they are pushing for this, which is not a part of Olympic National Park: "We actively support road closures in Olympic National Forest" Not that it matters much, but most locals on the Peninsula view them as unrealistic and tone-deaf. Knowing some of them personally, I'd say there's a strong tendency in the group to want to pull the ladder up after them.

reststep
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 4:05 pm 
altasnob: You left off your "list of great accomplishments" OPA's managing to keep the Dosewallips Road closed since 2001.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
trestle

trestle
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 4:54 pm 
Thus, OPA = the demise of Brinnon. Ski, the entire Dungeness road system is in their sites next. Not just a few spurs or old roads, the entire network.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 6:37 pm 
^ When the Dosewallips Road was first closed, I was in communication with the gentleman who owned the little store in Brinnon, who was trying to hang on to his life's investment by his toenails. Unfortunately he wasn't able to survive and keep the business running without the tourism trade that was generated by the USFS and NPS campgrounds on the Dosewallips. I'm not up to speed at all on the Dungeness. Is Rod still around? That was his area of expertise.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 8:26 pm 
There's still a jam packed state park at the Dosewallips. And a jam packed trailhead where the road now ends. Our state has added over 1.5 million people since the road washed out. Sorry your friend lost his store, but I think other factors besides the road washing out has led to its demise.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 10:29 pm 
^ The owner of the Brinnon store wasn't an acquaintance of mine. Your assumption is in error. I'd suggest you go back and read through the original Dosewallips threads here, which date back to about the same time period as the washout. Perhaps then you'd have an understanding of what actually occurred and the resulting consequences. I'm not going to debate the issue with you, because you clearly don't understand what happened up there.

Brian R

Brian R
PostSat Jul 03, 2021 11:32 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Everything this organization has accomplished since it's founding in 1948 is awful, which include: -adding the the Olympic coastal strip and Queets corridor to the park in the 1950s -organizing hikes with U.S. Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas to turn back efforts to build a highway along the Olympic coast -adding Shi Shi Beach and Lake Ozette to the park in the 1970s -designating 100,000 acres of Olympic National Forest as wilderness. -defeating hydro projects on the Dosewallips and Duckabush rivers -in 1992 helped pass the Elwha River Ecosystem Restoration Act which resulted in the removal of two dams on the Elwha River, -banning jet skis from Lake Crescent
They may have advocated and/or agitated--but they did not "accomplish" any of these things. They aren't elected; they would have no standing in a courtroom. McNulty and his org are apex-level elites--the wilderness bourgeois of the Olympic Peninsula who would love nothing more than to lock out we uncredentialed lackeys. Also, for what it's worth, William O Douglas isn't universally revered by PNW locals.

Gregory

Gregory
PostMon Jul 05, 2021 8:45 am 
McNulty and his org are apex-level elites.......... up.gif This which makes them self centered selfish garbage. Back when the road washed out there were other things in effect such as the stupid owl thing and salmon and Steelhead being put on the endangered species act which were also changing the canal economy. Yes the Brinnon store does get a bump during the summer from the state park but during the winter it is just the locals that keep the lights on. When logging and fishing was removed from the economy and the other two campgrounds and trail head were removed it was a struggle. I love when people discuss things they know nothing about.

trestle

trestle
PostMon Jul 05, 2021 11:08 am 
altasnob wrote:
I think other factors besides the road washing out has led to its demise.
Please enlighten us. There's plenty of local evidence but distant anecdotes seem to dominate critical thinking these days.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostThu Jul 08, 2021 1:57 pm 
Good lord, who supports "air lifting shelters" into wilderness. Have you actually read the Wilderness Act? All that aside, some of the venerable wilderness orgs have kept the same values over the years while the community of people who hike has grown. If the question is who do I align myself with more, OPA or Washington Hikers and Climbers and the rest of the Instragram hordes who want convenience above all else, well, you can probably guess the decision.

kw, Cyclopath, coldrain108