Forum Index > Trail Talk > How dangerous are mountain goats?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Maarten
Silly

Maarten
Silly
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 2:44 pm 
Short version: a mountain goat approached hikers, even a group of about 8. Grouping up & shouting didn't make it leave; throwing rocks near it did help. I understand they're after salt. I had gotten the impression that they can be dangerous but found one thread here that referred to an "outlier weird fatal attack", and some others that mention mountain goats following hikers and not sounding too concerned about that. What's the scoop, how dangerous are they? - Long story: Two of us hiked the Blue Lake trail off SR-20 the other day, and then continued around the little tarn that's just beyond the lake. As we were sitting and enjoying the view of the valley, I heard some rock fall in the valley behind us. That turned out to be a goat crossing first a scree field and then a snow field. Kind of towards us but still far away. He disappeared into a valley, then popped up suddenly MUCH closer to us and continued to approach. We got up, made noise, and retreat. He kept following. We retreated to Blue Lake where we knew there would be other people. Warned people, crossed back to the "safe" (?) side of the creek/lake. Goat slowly approached other people, then followed them when they too retreated across the creek. Even when we were clumped more together, he kept hovering. As mentioned, throwing rocks near him made him wander off, though he stayed close by. I didn't get great pictures since I was more focused on assessing what he was up to and keeping a pointy hiking pole at the ready than on my social media potential. embarassedlaugh.gif Left a note about the encounter in the trail register. Wouldn't be surprised if this was one of those pesky Olympic goats that learned bad habits over there on the pensinsula... rotf.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 3:11 pm 
Could be an Oly transplant. They were the worst. down.gif

Gil  jaysway
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 4:20 pm 
They have horns and are strong. So there is the potential for harm. Statistics say you are more likley to be injured or killed in a motor vehicle collision driving to or from the trailhead than by a goat or any other wild animal.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 4:21 pm 
YMMV. I've encountered many dozens of goats, some at point blank range. None were ever threatening. I've never attempted to get that close to them, but some times they just walk right by. The best ever was hanging out on a slab by my tent in the upper Enchantments. I guess I was in their spot. A herd of them descended upon me, then sat down all around me. They chilled out, some appeared to be chewing their cud, others were maybe catching a cat nap. Their behavior indicated they couldn't possibly have been more relaxed and less concerned about my presence. Goats are packed with muscle and have sharp horns. You have to be aware they are wild animals and treat them with respect and caution. I don't think of them as being "dangerous" animals. If you do something stupid I could see there being a problem. I also hear they really don't tolerate dogs, so if you let Cujo run loose around them, it's probably gonna end badly for Cujo.

jaysway  Mountainpines
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 4:25 pm 
Yea they want salt, so just pee on them and you'll be fine.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Downhill  Foist, Mountainpines, jaysway, ozzy
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 4:27 pm 
Goats chillin' to the max right beside me.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 4:29 pm 
I've came across them three times within 20 feet. In every case they were not acting aggressively towards me but definitely seemed to see themselves as the one in charge of the situation. They would casually walk around without much regard to your presence. Probably because they know they could hurt you if they wanted. They're impressively big in real life.
This guy had me worried he'd back me into a corner on Mt Ellinor and bump me off the edge.

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 4:29 pm 
A goat will approach and be intrusive for reasons other than the salt in your urine. If you came near the area and the females left then you are enemy #1 and the billy goat will view you as a competitor. The horns aren’t for ramming as much as daggers used when swinging their head toward the abdomen and groin. The species have actually evolved thick dermal shields over that area for protection. Their competition for dominance sometimes brings death to the vanquished. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3798378

ozzy
contour5

contour5
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 4:43 pm 
They are as dangerous and unpredictable as humans and they are always armed. I rather enjoy sharing my camp with them. Don’t approach the babies, or allow the babies to approach you.If a goat lowers its horns towards you, you’re probably about to be bluff charged. This is a good time to back away slowly.

Mountainfisherman

Mountainfisherman
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 5:20 pm 
They're a wild animal so act accordingly. Give them appropriate space and if they appear agitated cede the ground. The pursuit of salt, aka pee, can be persistent but isn't aggressive. Billies during the rut shouldn't be messed with, nor should Nannies with kids. I've watched them a lot around Devil's Slide off Hwy. 410-there's a decent herd up there, around Basin Lake off the PCT near Norse Peak, the Beartooths in MT where I had a yearling male that might as well as crawled in my tent with me he became so close, and off Timberwolf Mtn. between Chinook and White. I wouldn't consider myself any sort of expert on them, but I have observed them a lot-fascinating critter.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 5:53 pm 
The only time I felt threatened was when a herd of 8-10 came into our camp. One huge guy was collared, paint splotched and ear tagged- apparently a trouble maker. Sure enough he started chasing the smaller males and they would run away with no regard to us or our tent. Sharp pointy horns will hurt even if unintentional. Other wise they are on the prowl for pee, so pee on rocks not vegetation. And don't try to chase them off a trail with a hiking pole - might be perceived as a challenge to a fight...which they will always win.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
graywolf

graywolf
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 6:06 pm 
Been around many goats, many times - both in the Olympics and the Cascades. Never had a problem, except for the goat that eventually killed a man on Klahhane Ridge in ONP. He was a well known aggressive goat, and was not fazed by yelling, rocks, etc. When I heard that someone had been killed by a goat near Hurricane Ridge, I knew immediately who the guilty party was.

The only easy day was yesterday...
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 6:08 pm 
They used to be very different in the cascades from the Olympics due to in my opinion that they were hunted in the cascades but never in the Olympics until very recently. Usually in the cascades they were only seen at a distance whereas in the Olympics they could brush up against your tent.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 6:20 pm 
Admittedly my only experience with goats in the Olympics was camping at Lake of the Angels but the Goats were far more aggressive than in the Cascades, even the Enchantments.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jun 28, 2021 7:42 pm 
They're very difficult to tame and will drop your stuff.