Forum Index > Trail Talk > How dangerous are mountain goats?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 1:36 am 
Tom wrote:
Admittedly my only experience with goats in the Olympics was camping at Lake of the Angels but the Goats were far more aggressive than in the Cascades, even the Enchantments.
Buddy and I came across multiple goats in the Enchantments years ago. One walked up on me while I was having lunch. Got within about 10 feet of me and put his head down like he was going to rush me. Did that a couple times before I decided I guess I'll move to somewhere else.

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 9:18 am 
came across billy on the road to harts pass, he was standing on a rock outcrop and when I approached he jumped..I stopped to look and he was standing all four feet on a half inch of rock below...

zimmertr
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 1:20 pm 
I have decided to not throw rocks at them. They aren't afraid, obviously, when they approach, but is it a good idea for me to try to make them fear me? I don't think so. The last thing I want them to think when they see me is "this guy is trying to hurt us". I dont want to end up like that unleashed dog near headlight basin. Thats what happens when goats are threatened. I have never really had a problem with them, over many encounters. One time in the 'chants, one of them started walking toward me while I was urinating. I had to show him the bottom of my boot (couldn't think of anything else) and he turned away. Now, I just get it done when they are out of sight. That was the only thing even close to an "incident". They are more like ponies than little farm goats. This guy didnt get too close, but if he had, I think the horns would have been close to eye level. He's a big boy. Or she.

Lokicat
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostMon Jul 05, 2021 11:11 am 
I was never intimidated by mountain goats. I saw many on trails in Glacier NP and on Alaska trails in close proximity, even with their babies. This is so different though.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Jul 05, 2021 1:48 pm 
thats a nice lookin billy though

rbuzby
kevperro

kevperro
PostMon Jul 05, 2021 5:00 pm 
Most of them are not very intimidating. I was a mile down the trail when the hiker got killed in the Olympics by one that was a big mean mother. He had a history of being aggressive. Most people thought it was odd that a guy was killed by a goat but anyone who had been close to that animal wasn't surprised. He looked like a goat on roids and I'd hiked by him a couple of times and he was as intimidating as any animal I've seen in the wild. No fear of humans, in fact just the opposite. All wild animals should be given some respect but I have to admit, most of the goats I see are cute little guys. That one definitely was the exception.

Gil

Gil
PostMon Jul 05, 2021 11:59 pm 
This fellow followed me much of the way from Trap Pass to the upper lake years ago. I had to tell him a couple times not to get too close -- 20 feet felt fine.
And this fellow joined several of us for lunch on Miller Peak. Not aggressive, just very present.
Miller Peak goat
Miller Peak goat

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

Lokicat, Cyclopath, zimmertr
Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Jul 07, 2021 9:43 pm 
If you get attacked by a mountain goat, you're probably doing it wrong. This is not the domicile of humans. If you're going to spend time in the high elevations then you should yield and learn to give safe passage to those species who live there. If you respect the locals, you will have no issues 99% of the time.

Fedor, Mountainpines, Cyclopath, zimmertr
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 7:37 am 
Parks Canada said the recent forensic necropsy of a female grizzly bear suggests she was killed by a goat, after the horns pierced the bear’s armpits and neck.

Fedor, Cyclopath, Lokicat, zimmertr
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 9:31 am 
My daughter and I ran into a Nannie and kid coming down Aasgard a few years ago. I was in the lead and concerned because of the kid and the trail was narrow and confined with no practical alternative path. My daughter stepped in front and moved towards them and they quickly climbed up above us and away (on terrain I would not have dared to tackle myself). I was shocked and asked why (she is confident but that was definitely out of character) and she said it just felt like the right thing to do.
This is the Nanny way up above us
This is the Nanny way up above us
Goats have generally ignored me and the only other incident I had was when my partner went off to use a toilet and I had about a dozen mingling around as I waited. The largest goat had long and sharp horns (I got too good a look because it kept approaching closer at one point getting within a couple yards of me) but neither it nor I made any aggressive moves and I suspect it was just searching for some salt.
I took a photo before it started to approach me
I took a photo before it started to approach me
small cute goat just resting alongside the trail
small cute goat just resting alongside the trail

Lokicat
silence

silence
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 12:51 pm 
I've posted this several times over the years ... curious goat that followed us around up at the Anderson moraine for a few hours, ONP. It was a very hot day so he rested in the snow while we took pictures. Never felt threatened, but never let our guard down either.
Mountain Goat
Mountain Goat

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan

ozzy, Cyclopath  Lokicat
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:24 pm 
I think a Mountain Goat photo-fest is entirely in order. So here is one. You can even see a pine needle in her mouth. The morning light gives her new October coat a warm textured look. Not a zoom shot. I aimed at the head and hoped Fuji would make a good one. No post shot processing.

Lokicat
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:54 pm 
A bit off-topic but we watched a couple interesting goat behaviors in 2019. We were camped at the NE corner of Inspiration Lake and there was a group of about a dozen or so goats near us. Near the outlet at the SE corner of the lake we heard this whining/whimpering sound off and on for a few minutes until one of the goats near us gave a low grunt and the kid came running full steam - whining the whole way. Later on that same trip I watched a Nanny and two small kids cross a stream/lake area leaping from rock to rock. The last kid slipped on the wet rock and fell into the lake. I took photos but of course I was just a little too late to capture the fall. Mom didn't bat an eye and just kept marching on.

silence

silence
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 2:23 pm 
A big guy we gave a wide berth to ... May 20, 2015, Del Monte Ridge, ONP
Friendly Goat
Friendly Goat

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan

ozzy  Lokicat
Lokicat

Lokicat
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 2:44 pm 
I was at Ingalls Lake once near a mom and baby goat and the mom lowered her head as if she were going to ram me with her horns. I yelled at her and she seemed to back away as did I. It was a bit of a wake up call. Normally I take pictures of them and try to get close to them. Now I am more cautious.