Forum Index > Trail Talk > About that orange paint/flagging across WT3/2/1
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 2:25 pm 
Ran across a sign posted by DNR at the intersection of Sec Ln/RR Grade a couple of days ago. The entire upper mountain (above the RR Grade/including Poo Top/upper Preston) will be closed beginning 7/6/21 (Monday) for a private sale logging operation. The duration of the closure was not stated. Stuke also posted about it on WTA along with a pic of the sign/map. Ugh.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
philfort

philfort
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 3:10 pm 
I guess maybe there will be a view from the top of Tiger 3 again. Weird how just a small bit of the summit area is Weyerhauser land (from what I can tell).

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 4:20 pm 
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 9:23 pm 
https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2021-07-02-1515659751 Just to clarify, "blackened" trails are closed.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler

mosey
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Jul 03, 2021 1:03 am 
philfort wrote:
I guess maybe there will be a view from the top of Tiger 3 again.
I hope so. Then Tiger can keep soaking up a lot of hiking traffic, which it can do better than other areas farther east. It's a nice hike, but needs to have something at top besides a rock in a clearing. I miss the views we had in the 80s before all the trees grew back.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

ChanceShowers
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSat Jul 03, 2021 1:53 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Then Tiger can keep soaking up a lot of hiking traffic,
I wonder where all the Tiger mtn hikers will go while this is happening? And I too think it's odd that just the top portion of a State Park is privately owned.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
JimK

JimK
PostSat Jul 03, 2021 5:02 pm 
Puzzlr, I'm not sure they will get it back to 1984 levels.

Hiking Northwest

Lindsay, Noheaperture, zimmertr
ChanceShowers

ChanceShowers
PostSat Jul 03, 2021 10:37 pm 
To be more precise, it's a state forest, not a state park. Those are different things, managed by different state entities (Department of Natural Resources, vs Washington State Parks. And while I don't know the whole history of Tiger Mountain, consider the possibility that it may have all started out as privately owned, and that ownership was willing or convinced to sell off most of the mountain to the state, but chose to retain the topmost portion. In that way, it's not all that odd.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 03, 2021 10:48 pm 
There are multiple radio facilities on the high points of Tiger Mtn. These lie on privately held land. The "Cableline" route follows a buried cable that was installed via bulldozer during the '60s. A hundred years ago the entire mountain was logged -- the various "railroad" trails follow logging railroad railbeds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Mountain_(Washington)

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun Jul 04, 2021 8:53 am 
"While much of Weyerhaeuser’s ownership on Tiger has been exchanged for public ownership, this portion of working forest with existing communications towers has been retained by Weyerhaeuser for decades...................... ................................................... Examples of potential public benefits could include: - Consideration of future trail locations, potential relocations, and improvements. - Vista planning in reforestation and stand management. - Trail building support after harvest use. - Potential sale of harvested land to DNR for permanent conservation. - Alignment with King County and DNR goals for healthy forest management. ........................................ More information on results of these efforts will be available soon. If you have questions or would like to offer feedback to advocacy leaders, please email Lindsay Frickle, Executive Director of Issaquah Alps Trails Club at exec@issaquahalps.org." https://www.issaquahalps.org/articles/2021/7/2/information-on-the-weyerhaeuser-tiger-mountain-harvest

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 05, 2021 3:24 pm 
Last time they logged near the summit of WT1 the removal of the top trees exposed lower trees which promptly fell over and blocked the Preston trail which was not cleared until a year later. So A big loss for winter hiking with training elevation gain. BTW this thread should probably be moved to Stewardship now.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 9:09 am 
The trees around the WT3 summit are so small it's very difficult for me to perceive how they have much value. A view is nice, and I enjoyed the view from WT3 25 years ago, and the lack of one there now helps with crowding on the trail, parking, etc. So what's already grown into a problem is now going to get much worse. I don't get how the DNR pops a nut over "environmental damage" supposedly caused by things like the old CL start and the south launch direct route on Poo Poo, then approves tens of acres of scorched-earth clear cutting nearby. In the case of Poo Poo the clear cutting was immediately adjacent and then last year they allowed the entire slope below the south launch to be brush-hogged. But those 100 yard trails were somehow intolerably bad. Insanity.

If not now, when?
philfort

philfort
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 9:25 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
I don't get how the DNR pops a nut over "environmental damage" supposedly caused by things like the old CL start and the south launch direct route on Poo Poo, then approves tens of acres of scorched-earth clear cutting nearby.
Well, the logging on Tiger is on a parcel of private land inside the state forest. But also, $$$?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 10:25 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
A view is nice, and I enjoyed the view from WT3 25 years ago, and the lack of one there now helps with crowding on the trail, parking, etc. So what's already grown into a problem is now going to get much worse.
I think weekend crowds on Tiger from High Point reached their maximum many years ago when the updated parking lot was completed. On decent weather weekend days the lot is full and cars are parked along the access road all the way back to the freeway exit. The fact that the view from WT3 has gradually been reduced in the two decades since then has done nothing to reduce crowding. On "horizontal rain" days, High Point/Tiger is fairly empty -- that's when I go there. Before my dog died, I would go to the HWY-18 Summit trailhead and hike with her on the gated access road to East Summit -- which has a great view -- and a picnic table. The mountain bikers are far more friendly to a hiker with a well behaved off leash dog (legal in that area) than the hikers on the WT3 trail to a hiker with a dog on leash. Those trails are also far less crowded on decent weather days than WT3 or Poo Poo.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jul 09, 2021 2:22 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
The trees around the WT3 summit are so small it's very difficult for me to perceive how they have much value. A view is nice, and I enjoyed the view from WT3 25 years ago, and the lack of one there now helps with crowding on the trail, parking, etc. So what's already grown into a problem is now going to get much worse. I don't get how the DNR pops a nut over "environmental damage" supposedly caused by things like the old CL start and the south launch direct route on Poo Poo, then approves tens of acres of scorched-earth clear cutting nearby. In the case of Poo Poo the clear cutting was immediately adjacent and then last year they allowed the entire slope below the south launch to be brush-hogged. But those 100 yard trails were somehow intolerably bad. Insanity.
We need a definition of scorched earth, please. Broadcast burning isn't done much anymore. How will the units be scorched?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities