Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 12:52 pm 
altasnob wrote:
I'm confused, looking at the map, Tiger mountain is almost exclusively public DNR land
Yes -- however the section that people are getting worked up about being clear cut is a "zigzagy donut hole" of privately owned land near the summit of WT3 and WT2

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 1:12 pm 
Ah, I see. What is the size of that private land, like 20 acres? With a road through it too. Does Weyerhaeuser need to clear the trees for all the antennas and radio towers they have up there? It just seems odd to be upset that 20 or so acres of private property is being logged when the entire Tiger mountain DNR land can and will be logged in most of our lifetimes. I noticed that both Green Mountain and Capital Forest (both also DNR lands) have small little tracks of private land, presumably for the radio towers there too?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Oct 15, 2021 1:40 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Ah, I see. What is the size of that private land, like 20 acres? With a road through it too.
My measurements rate the "zigzagy donut hole" at roughtly 100+ acres. There are roads and the "dozer track" through the area. When I hiked to WT3 recently I encoutered some folks descending while I was on the way up that were outraged by the clear cutting. From my knothole -- given the history of logging on Tiger Mtn over the last century + I'm not particularly upset -- in fact -- given that regional views from the top of WT3 have become obscured since it was last cut in the '80s -- I see it as a positive.

runup
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 10:14 am 
From DNR: "DNR is working with Weyerhaeuser on a conservation strategy for portion of their property to be included within the West Tiger Mountain Natural Resources Conservation (NRCA): https://www.dnr.wa.gov/WestTigerMountain. Our natural areas are managed to protect examples of native ecosystems, scenic landscapes and allow low-impact public access. We typically do not harvest timber on these lands unless there is an ecological need, such as thinning or similar forest treatments. DNR natural areas do not have the same legal responsibility as DNR trust lands to generate revenue for state schools, counties and local services. Our natural areas program relies on external grant funding sources to purchase additional conservation land. If we are successful in acquiring funding and purchasing portion of the property from Weyerhaeuser - we would likely not commercially harvest the site again. Weyerhaeuser will allow permanent public access to the trail system on their land following the timber sale. "

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 1:34 pm 
Interesting. I noticed half of Tiger (the Western Part) is DNR natural area. This area was originally Weyerhaeuser land and DNR purchased this land in the 80s. Since the land was not original DNR trust land, DNR is free to create the natural area and not log it. Contrast to the Eastern part of Tiger, which is DNR trust land, acquired by DNR when Washington became a state, which must be logged. I assume the reason DNR was not able to purchase the last remaining Weyerhaeuser land on the summit as part of their acquisitions in the 80s was because of the communications towers. Weyerhaeuser did not want to lease the land from DNR, and preferred to maintain ownership of this lucrative swath of property. You can see the boundary of the two DNR divisions using DNR's map: https://wadnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Shortlist/index.html?appid=98a7fe4ea3764440ad59f0d9b0b280e3
And some more info on the timber harvest: https://mtsgreenway.org/blog/tiger-mountain-harvest/

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 20, 2021 6:18 pm 
We will soon see what a major storm will do with it.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Randito
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Oct 25, 2021 5:05 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
We will soon see what a major storm will do with it.
I went up Sunday and spent several hours clearing blow down from the trail. Notably, on the way down, about where the RR Grade trail crosses, I heard several minutes of trees breaking and falling very close to my (skier's) right. I didn't see anything, but it was close enough that I was making a plan to run west across the slope. I could be wrong, and given how long and loud it was, I can't think of what it could have been aside from a landslide down the north side of the mountain.

If not now, when?

mosey
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Oct 28, 2021 3:12 pm 
Randito wrote:
altasnob wrote:
Ah, I see. What is the size of that private land, like 20 acres? With a road through it too.
My measurements rate the "zigzagy donut hole" at roughtly 100+ acres.
I've been trying to learn some of the "extra" features of CalTopo, like creating a polygon, so I used this as a practice exercise. I came up with 113 acres for the area, which is pretty close to what Randito came up with.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 2:58 pm 
Welcome to the Desolation of Smaug

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 7:40 pm 
Look at the bright side. Now we are all part of the generation that can say "We hiked Tiger Mountain before it looked like a bad haircut".

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

zimmertr
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Oct 31, 2021 8:01 pm 
True dat the views are not bad now.

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 7:52 am 
Is the logging area open now?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 8:59 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Look at the bright side. Now we are all part of the generation that can say "We hiked Tiger Mountain before it looked like a bad haircut".
You need to add, and now we see where our lumber for our home building and projects comes from. I can't understand why so many condemn timber harvest and then go out and buy lumber the next day. Read somewhere where Finland? works on having a domestic supply of timber for its needs instead of thinking wood products just magically show up on shelves at Home Depot or other stores. If the cut was done for stand improvement (starting over because the trees were beyond help) the same thought process is legit. The easy, flat ground has been turned into housing tracts.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
solohiker

solohiker
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 2:32 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
Now we are all part of the generation that can say "We hiked Tiger Mountain before it looked like a bad haircut".
Of course many of us who were hiking in the 60's and 70's (or even earlier) can make that same claim about Mt St Helens, only instead of a bad haircut most of the head was blown away. I always wish I had taken photos while backpacking there when I was a high school student, so I'd now have photos of places that no longer exist. Alas, back in the 60s a family only owned one camera (there was no such thing as a cell phone, much less a cell phone camera) and kids weren't allowed to take it for a hike in the woods. Mom always called MSH the "ice cream cone mountain" because she had a perfectly rounded top, covered in snow year round - totally looked like a giant ice cream cone. Neighboring volcanoes weren't as round. But I digress, other than to point out that natural disasters and fires (sometimes one in the same) also change the landscape. Getting back to Tiger, I remember when a nasty windstorm (I think it was 2003) brought down large sections of trees on Tiger 1 and 2 north faces. The TMT was hardly recognizable in places.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

zimmertr
mosey

mosey
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 3:07 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Welcome to the Desolation of Smaug
If you use your imagination really hard, it has arctic tundra vibes
Quote:
is it open yet?
bump slash or has seasonal logging ceased?