Forum Index > Trail Talk > About that orange paint/flagging across WT3/2/1
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 3:36 pm 
As far as I can tell the WT3, Section Line, and Cableline trails are intact up to the OSAT meeting place from there to WT3 summit there is a pile of slash with braided social trails. The Seattle View trail is gone except for the first 150’ vertical from the WT railroad grade ironically it now has a Seattle view. The TMT from Toms Crossing to Manning’s Reach is also gone. The Cableline extension from WT3 to WT2 is gone with a dirt rough track contouring around WT2 was used to remove the fence post sized trees. The cut on the south side of WT2 goes below 2200’. No knowledge on the East side of WT2 but the tower appears to be surrounded by dirt down to 2400’ or so. The cut area has no stumps and appears to be bare with no brush.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Fedor, mosey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 3:43 pm 
mosey wrote:
Quote:
is it open yet?
bump slash or has seasonal logging ceased?
I was just curious if the logging area was now open to the public since new summit photos were being shared. After a week in Michigan I'm feverish from some vert and will try for Tiger on the next good weather window.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 4:43 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
I was just curious if the logging area was now open to the public since new summit photos were being shared. After a week in Michigan I'm feverish from some vert and will try for Tiger on the next good weather window.
When I was up there a couple of weeks ago there was a bit of orange fencing blocking the trail a few yards short of the WT3 summit. Large warning signs were adorned to trees that the fencing was secured to. Those willing to forego their right to sue Weyerhaeuser can venture out into the clear cut and sit on "The Rock" and take in the view. Those not willing to flirt with death and that stop at the orange fencing are only missing about 20 vertical feet of elevation gain.

zimmertr
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 4:51 pm 
It is close to 2500’ of elevation gain from Issaquah High School to the OSAT meeting place via High School and Section Line Trails. 2000’ gain from Highpoint exit to OSAT via Cableline or WT3 & parking lot trails. variations abound. Signs to summit are down now.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Nov 20, 2021 5:31 pm 
Hikers bypass of WT1, Poo Top to WT1, Preston to WT1, TMT from Toms Crossing to Seattle View, Seattle View to WT2, and Trail from WT3 to WT2 are all toast. Either slash, muddy cat tracks, or eroded. Nice views though.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Dec 31, 2021 10:52 pm 
JimK

JimK
PostSat Jan 01, 2022 10:24 am 

Hiking Northwest

MangyMarmot, Slim, mosey
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:21 pm 
Does anyone know if there are currently any good options in the Tiger system for getting above the fog and getting a view without having to deal with too much mud or slash?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:24 pm 
On Sunday the WT3 trail was pretty much dry all the way from High Point to the summit. It was muddy between WT3 and WT2 though. And then dry again between WT2 and WT1. Cable Line on the way down was muddy though. That being said, even in my trail runners the mud was never a serious problem. If by slash you mean the clearcut, The West Tiger, Cable Line, Section Line, etc trails are basically forested until 50-100' of the summit. The cut is in the other direction. And there's really only 50-100' of "trail" that traverses brush from the clearcut. And it's at the base of WT3 on the way to WT2.

Flickr | Strava

Sculpin
gb

gb
PostThu Jan 27, 2022 5:18 am 
I think this was done by some angry little man who hates hikers at whorehouser.

cascadetraverser
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jan 27, 2022 9:14 am 
It certainly seems vindictive, or the start of of an Antenna farm.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jan 27, 2022 6:39 pm 
Pix from WT1 and WT2

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jan 27, 2022 7:17 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Confirmed, bare slope well down south slope they left half a dozen trees on the ridge either for later yarding or something sure they will blow down with first winter storm with south wind. frown.gif
Wildlife and soils folks like those trees to blow down. Non wildlife people then call the blowdown, rat logs. Sometimes they don't blow down. A lot of us were surprised when wildlife trees left standing on an exposed slope did not blow down. The area was cut in the 1980s and now there are some scattered very large trees in the midst of second growth. This can be seen from Highway 12 on the north side near Morton.
N side of the valley? I think I know the hillsides. Putting on big growth rings I’m sure. Other places I’ve seen tall, skinny, spindly, trees left in clear malicious compliance.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 27, 2022 8:08 pm 
The trees that were left were punkins. Big trees. Spaced fairly far apart. Sometimes they stay up. Elsewhere, in the suburbs of Randle, I've seen some pitiful hemlocks left as leave trees. Those don't do well. There is a wonderful wildlife tree left standing and surviving because it was a cull. It's crooked and limby and just what the birds like. I watched it for a while. It'll make it. I walked a lot in that part of the woods and often saw an owl, hawks and grouse, bears and deer.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 11:23 am 
Most of the snow has melted and what remains has hardened into boiler plate. To exit WT2 trial to summit is quite difficult as it is all slash. Preston trail to WT1 is similarly difficult but with more snow traction suggested. Trail from WT3 to WT2 is passable but slide prone down WT 3 and much longer on road. It has been ditched. Spring will see a brush pile up through the slash of epic proportions unless sprayed. frown.gif