Forum Index > Gear Talk > Favorite low top hikers?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Mar 10, 2018 2:15 pm 
My old hiking shoes are on their last legs (as well as their predecessors, which are pretty much in identical shape), so I'm in the market for new ones. My old ones are the Oboz Sawtooth non-waterproof shoes:
I've hiked hundreds of miles on these supportive yet comfortable shoes and have never gotten a blister. I love them except for one flaw (at least for my feet): the ankle notch is cut a little too high and rubs on the underside of my ankle bones. I got around that by adding an 1/8" thick insole, but I'd rather not have to do that. So, what are your favorite brands/models? I'm only interested in similar types of shoes (low top, non-waterproof), but there's no shortage within this category. Price not really an object (within reason). One brand I'm looking at is the Merrell Moab 2 vent low hiking shoes, but I'm curious what other people like.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Mar 11, 2018 8:07 am 
I have really liked various new balance trail runners in the past, however they are not the most durable as I use them to hike and run. Right now I am using Vasque Inhaler Low hiking shoes and I love them they seem more durable, but I did some hiking is So Cal and they were a bit to hot for that. I won't spend a ton personally on hiking shoes because I found that they are not durable enough to make up for the cost.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 am 
It's whatever shoe fits your feet! Everyone's feet are different, which is why I won't either recommend a particular brand or ask for a recommendation. There's no substitute for trying on a wide variety until you find the ones made for your feet. And when you find the perfect shoe, I do recommend buying several pair, before the manufacturer either discontinues the model or changes the last, which will probably happen within the next year.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Mar 11, 2018 10:44 am 
Grannyhiker wrote:
It's whatever shoe fits your feet! And when you find the perfect shoe, I do recommend buying several pair, before the manufacturer either discontinues the model or changes the last, which will probably happen within the next year.
Well, I realize "it's whatever fits your feet", but there are so many shoes out there that I'm just looking for some options that others have particularly liked to avoid having to try on dozens of choices. You make a good point about buying several pair! I read mostly love for the Merrell Moab Vent version 1; however the reviews for version 2 suggest it was a major step down.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 am 
Navy salad wrote:
I read mostly love for the Merrell Moab Vent version 1; however the reviews for version 2 suggest it was a major step down.
I have both a lower cut and a higher one - I think it is called 'mid'. Both version 1. I like 'em. If I had to list a drawback, they seem a bit too large in the heel width. I tried the wide version, but it was too wide even for my wide feets. Both low and mid were available in the earlier version on Amazon last time I looked.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Mar 11, 2018 12:02 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Both low and mid were available in the earlier version on Amazon last time I looked.
Well, I've been looking at Amazon's many sellers and the only ones selling version 1 I saw had limited sizes (generally 8's and 9's, which are too small).

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 12:14 pm 
You first need to decide if you want a smaller traditional hiking shoe/boot, or a regular running shoe, or a trial runner. Dedicated trail runners generally have a more aggressive tread, and often less heal rise. If you are day hiking or going out with lightweight gear on non-technical routes, a really light weight shoe is perfectly adequate. Particularly low rise trail runners like Hoka's and Salomon's take some getting used to. The benefit is you learn to walk with less heal strike. The lower heal strike is less fatiguing (my opinion), and does reduce the likelihood of planter fasciitis. I've worn New Balance as my regular non-work shoes for years. They are available in half sizes and variable widths. They are the one shoe I could guarantee that you would find a good fit. I currently use some Salomon trail runners as my hiking shoe. They have a Keen Sandal type sliding lace, so they're easy to loosen up in camp and have very comfortable camp shoe as well.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
trestle

trestle
PostMon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 pm 
Have you tried the Oboz Firebrand II? They have a different heel design than the Sawtooth yet have the same midsole and are IMO the best trail-hiker ever made. But then again they fit me really well. Obviously, YMMV.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
mike

mike
PostTue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 am 
easy everyday hikes I wear Keen newports.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 pm 
InFlight wrote:
You first need to decide if you want a smaller traditional hiking shoe/boot, or a regular running shoe, or a trial runner
Well, the picture I posted of the Oboz shoe is pretty close to the kind of shoe I'm looking for. I'm a day-hiker/backpacker (generally backpack maybe 150-200 miles per summer), but not a trail runner. If the Oboz ankle cutouts were lower, I'd be sold on them for the foreseeable future.
trestle wrote:
Have you tried the Oboz Firebrand II? They have a different heel design than the Sawtooth yet have the same midsole and are IMO the best trail-hiker ever made.
Hmmmmm, these look pretty good! My only hesitation is the waterproof/breathable part of the description. Have you found these to get a bit "moist" during hot weather hikes?

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostTue Mar 13, 2018 4:29 pm 
W/O a doubt, if you want sticky sole, yet support and durability the Scarpa Zen is the way to go. Backpack all over Utah slickrock and Mojave limestone with 'em. Cascade scrambles once the snow melts.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Mar 13, 2018 8:45 pm 
Hoka One Speed Goat for low cut and Speed Hiker Mid for hiking, backpacking, and scrambling.

Living in the Anthropocene
trestle

trestle
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 6:18 am 
Navy salad wrote:
trestle wrote:
Have you tried the Oboz Firebrand II? They have a different heel design than the Sawtooth yet have the same midsole and are IMO the best trail-hiker ever made.
Hmmmmm, these look pretty good! My only hesitation is the waterproof/breathable part of the description. Have you found these to get a bit "moist" during hot weather hikes?
Not sure what they use for their wp/b laminate but they don't feel nearly as clammy as typical Gore shoes. I do find they can be pretty warm on truly hot days but the uppers are also primarily leather. The side panels are a very heavy-duty cordura-type material, not mesh. However if you're concerned about the wp/b liner I would probably look elsewhere so you don't have to fight the nagging doubt at the back of your mind. I find the wp/b to be far less of an issue with low-cut shoes but YMMV.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Mar 20, 2018 8:49 pm 
I've had good luck with Keens, they make hiking shoes in various heights. The women's shoe I wear is the Targhee II, which I believe has been updated since the last pair I bought. I don't know if the men's version has the same name. I prefer waterproof shoes, though they are warmer, I'd rather have warm feet than wet feet. My daughter likes her Solomon trail runners. I can only wear Keens, after my pregnancies, my feet grew wider and longer, and they are the only ones with wide enough toe boxes. They don't fit everyone well, though.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostThu Apr 05, 2018 3:45 pm 
I've really enjoyed the scarpa crux approach shoe. They've done everything from heavy backpacking to scrambling to snow to walking around town and they do it all well. I've had them for a little less than a year now and they're holding up well. The dual density foam between the sole and the shoe is starting to become softer. The tread is wearing but I've still got good positive lugs. There are no other wear issues or separations, except where a rat chewed on the heel when I left them outside my tent overnight (It also left a few surprises inside each shoe... yay). They also look great and I've gotten lots of compliments on them! up.gif Previously I had a pair of Merrell Chameleon shoes... they look pretty lame, but those were the best low top hiking shoes I've ever had! I heard they changed up the design and they're not as awesome now. I climbed Stuart twice with them and also did the enchantments in a day with them. If I could find another pair of the old style in my size I would get them.