Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Challenger 7/16-7/19/2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hot.choss

hot.choss
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 2:35 pm 
Climbed Mt Challenger from 7/16-7/19 by way of Hannegan Pass. Day 1: Hannegan TH to Easy Ridge We hiked up and down Hannegan Pass then forded a mellow section of the Chilliwack River. After a short break to allow our feet to dry, we quickly found a cairn leading us to the old Easy Ridge trail. The hike up to Easy Ridge was less of the bushwhack we expected and more of a brushy hike. Pretty simple. Eventually, the trail led us to a lovely ridge camp with small pools of stagnant snowmelt.
Day 2: Easy Ridge to Perfect Pass After breaking camp we followed the ridge to the summit of Easy Peak and eventually dropped several thousand feet down to the infamous Perfect Impasse. We found stable snow across the impasse, took a short break, then climbed 3rd/4th class rock, moss, and heather up to Perfect Pass. There wasn’t much in the way of a climbers trail here. We used our noses and worked our way upwards. During the steepest and loosest sections we saw some old tat and figured we found a decent line. At Perfect Pass we encountered a party of 3 climbers breaking down camp after a successful summit (thank you for the boot tracks). They approached from Whatcom Pass and found the traverse to be simple so we decided to turn our trip into a loop and exit via Whatcom Pass to avoid the (sketchy) down & up back to Easy Ridge (I was also very excited for the Chilliwack River cable car crossing).
Day 3: Perfect Pass to Challenger Summit to Whatcom Pass Around 5am we opened the tent door to find ourselves immersed in a cloud, we slept for a few more hours and eventually the clouds lifted. We left camp at the not so very alpine time of 9am. Crossing the Challenger glacier was straightforward and after a bit of slog we arrived at the base of the rock. A short scramble beneath the ridge led us to the short 5.7 pitch. Above the crux there is a decent rap block and good rock for gear anchors. We provided each other belays to the summit block from there. Naturally, the only other party within miles appeared and patiently waited at the base of the 5.7 pitch. We rapped off the tat and made our way back to Perfect Pass. The 30m rope was just enough for the rap.
We took a long lunch break and lazily broke camp before heading off to Whatcom pass. We traversed a little too high and had to scramble back down to easier terrain before we accessed the Whatcom glacier. The Whatcom glacier doesn’t have much time left in this world. We roped up once more and quickly traversed it. We arrived at Whatcom Pass at sunset.
Day 4: Whatcom Pass to Hannegan TH A day spent on trails. The Brush Creek trail had a few spots requiring tree gymnastics otherwise it was in good shape and quite beautiful. I was very excited to cross the Chilliwack via cable car and it lived up to the hype. We made it back to the car at a reasonable hour and enjoyed food and drinks in Burlington.

Silas, mtnrider, Cyclopath, Kim Brown, Downhill, Route Loser, RichP, Frodo Barefoot, pjhorst, neek, Brushbuffalo, RAW-dad, awilsondc, Dave Weyrick, rstoddard24, TheWanderingIndian, Randito, freddyfredpants, Bluebird, ozzy, Tom, reststep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 3:16 pm 
Thanks for the report. That's one of my favorite trips in Washington. smile.gif up.gif

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 8:44 pm 
This trip was so good! Thank you for coming with me and writing this up!

Cyclopath, Kim Brown, RichP, hot.choss, awilsondc, rstoddard24, TheWanderingIndian, reststep
geyer

geyer
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 9:16 am 
Very jealous of this trip Selena & HotChoss! Challenger has been near the top of my list for a while now, but i will probably not do it as an out and back. Great photos. Thanks for posting

hot.choss
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 9:28 pm 
Thanks for the report! I'm thinking about a non-mountaineering backpacking trip just to Easy Ridge and maybe to top of Easy Peak this weekend. How were snow/water conditions?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 9:43 pm 
Going to Easy peak is on trail most all the way. Crux is crossing river in high water (was only ankle deep when we did it in August) and loose steep scree up to Easy peak. Other main problem is securing a permit. The ridge is an interesting place during a thunder storm, and not in a good way.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 6:04 am 
Easy ridge is snow free but with stagnant tarns as the only water source. Great camping on the minor high point before the final ascent to easy peak. Nice campsites on the peak as well but the tarns for water are all before the peak so you'd need to carry water up.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 9:36 am 
Foist wrote:
non-mountaineering backpacking trip just to Easy Ridge
An interesting place to check out is the site of the former Easy Ridge fire lookout.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still

Bluebird
Bronco

Bronco
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 am 
There should be water from snow patches high on Easy Ridge if you look around. We had plenty over Labor Day weekend in 2017, a pretty dry and hot summer.

Bluebird, iron
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:26 am 
Thanks everyone for the replies. It turns out we probably don't have enough time this weekend to make it up there and enjoy it without killing ourselves, so I've switched plans anyway.

Bluebird
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Aug 06, 2021 5:11 am 
nice WU

Bluebird
Downhill

Downhill
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 9:32 pm 
Great TR and fantastic pics! Thanks!! I took the same route in the early 90s but I took a different route at the high-end of the "impasse", I did a short (50') traverse of the face directly above. I remember it to be low 5th-class and I think I placed 2 pieces to regain the easy ground on the other side. It saved hundreds (1000) of feet lost and re-gained ground. Congrats - - A great trip! Amazing views for the entire time, a classic!

Bluebird
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 10:13 pm 
Heading up in that direction next week hopefully lord willing and the creek don’t rise. Been up to the impasse 3 times crossed twice. This time to Whatcom pass and Tiptoe hopefully. Watching the fire. NCNP being somewhat less than helpful. Your pix inspire and help.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Bluebird, hot.choss