Forum Index > Trail Talk > Winchester Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 8:19 pm 
Is the trail very narrow? Are there razor edge drop offs. I get sometimes altitude sickness. That is the first hike I am hiking coming from midwest. I might need a bit of time to adjust to the altitude. I got my patches. If people who are afraid of heights hike this trail, then I should be fine.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 8:37 pm 
The road is way scarier than the trail there. Only one short spot is Rocky and narrow.

Mountainpines
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 11:14 pm 
As Kitya stated there is one spot that appears intimidating as you approach but just take it slow and easy and you should be fine. Winchester is probably a good introduction to NCNP - short and starts at a pretty high elevation for Washington roads. The views are impressive. Don't be afraid to park at Yellow Aster Butte and walk the last section of road to Twin Lakes. I know we will be doing that - last time I drove my wife said never again.

Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 8:20 am 
I read recent reports. And many of the reports say to take it slow. But I haven’t done it. Lol My husband is the one driving. I have a 13 year old too, so I wouldn’t want to put him through something unsafe. Now, you have me wondering about that one stretch that is rocky and narrow. Is it at the end of the hike? Is it a good turn around point? I can’t assess until I’m there myself. But knowing beforehand sure helps.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 8:36 am 
IMO the road to Twin Lakes is probably the most intimidating stretch of dirt road for trailheads accessed in this region (N fork Nooksack). Steep tight switchbacks, loose gravel and real exposure. I certainly wouldn't drive up there without a good 4wd vehicle (most rental "SUVs" may not cut it. And if you don't have experience on rough forest service roads I think this particular one is going to throw you for a loop. You seem very focused on a handful of hikes that have been touted as "The BEST". Wasn't Winchester thrown out there as Best DAY Hike in the Universe or something? Thing is pick a hike in this region and they're all more alike than different! Forest, meadows, mtn views. They're all good. Yellow Aster Butte.....beautiful, crowded, skips the gnarly part of the road Hannegan Peak via Hannegan Pass....perfect road, awesome views (lots of biting black flies) Skyline Divide....potholes,potholes, potholes..busier than Costco..but no exposure/nerve wracking driving High Divide via Damfino Lakes...potholes, pothole, potholes but easy hike to expansive meadows with great wildflowers (and less people) Heliotrope...good road to a glacier view that will blow your mind (if you can manage stream crossings) Artists Point...from the road closure its only an extra 20-25 minutes up the Goose? trail to the end of the road. Will cut out all the rif-raf. Drive down to Baker Lake and find your way to Watson Lakes (easy) or Upper Anderson if you're feeling adventurous. Easiest hike that gets you into "the heart" of the north cascades. Again great views, nice meadows, lakes, tons of people.... Head down to the very end of Baker Lake and follow the Baker Lake Trail to Noisy Creek. Follow the way trail heading up the creek to the GOD tree. No alpine meadows but old growth has its own value. There's so much to do AND ITS ALL GOOD!

kw
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 9:24 am 
When I had out of country colleagues visit last time (long time ago, before pandemic) in the late Summer, I took them for a short hike to the "sikrit" trail to Grouse Ridge. The trail is easy and short, the views are similar if not better than Skyline, the road is good for any car and we have seen no other people. Though I suspect now days even sikrit trails are busier than before. Another nice "sikrit" trail nearby is to Price Lake. Anyway, the narrow spot on the way to Winchester lookout is after 2/3 way to the top. It has no real exposure, it just looks a little bit scary if you are unused to it, but it is not dangerous. Normally the trail is well travelled and well maintained and tons of people go to Twin Lakes. The views are great already at Twin Lakes and never stop. If you feel intimidated by the narrow spot on the trail, you can always turn around there and you will still see all the same views that you could see from the top, there is really not that much difference, because there are barely any trees on the slopes, it is all heather, blueberries and flowers and open views. I also have seen a sedan make it to Twin Lakes trailhead, but there are many dips and one have to be careful and creative with approach/exit angles. I have made it there in my Rav4 also with no issue, but I didn't enjoy driving this road a single bit. It is barely faster than walking it and if you meet oncoming traffic, letting each other pass could be very hard.

Bowregard  Mountainpines
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 9:45 am 
Road: The road is as described by slabbyd. If you knew nobody was coming the other way it would still be nerve racking for most people simply because of the exposure - but you have to remember that you could meet another vehicle going the opposite direction at any time (going up OR back down) in which case one of you is going to have to back up until you find a place wide enough to pass. So the real question is are you confident enough in the driver's backing skills to do that safely? If the answer is yes then a most any high clearance vehicle should be able to make it (I have seen low clearance cars up there even). The issue is not potholes but deep cross-road dips and bumps and narrow roadway. Shorter wheelbases navigate the bumps, dips, and narrow curves better - even with 4WD I would not want to be up there in a long extended cab pickup with a poor turning radius. Trail, The rocky narrow stretch is roughly 2/3 of the way up. Fairly flat sloped rock tread. If I remember right the risks that went through my mind were rain or gravel (i.e. if it could get slippery on the way down) but once on the rock it felt pretty secure. I don't remember many Trip Reports even mentioning it You get views of Twin Lakes up to that point but the views don't really open up until near the top so that section is not a good "destination" but any turnaround point is "good" if you get uncomfortable and don't feel safe to continue. And it is all relative - what we are used to as "normal" here in the Cascades may be scary to someone used to hiking elsewhere. I will say that of the hikes you have discussed in other threads if you are OK with this section I don't think anything else you have planned will bother you.

Mountainpines
altersego

altersego
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 10:11 am 
We made it up the road 3-4 years ago in an AWD Subaru Crosstrek. There were a couple moments going up where I was doubting it was a good idea. I seem to recall skidding a bit after one hairpin turn on the way down. Did meet any other vehicles either way, but yeah, that could be a problem. Probably the same year I took a wrong turn on the way to Tiffany Mountain and wound up with a bunch of grazing cattle. A similar AWD CRV made it up a couple very steep roads and skid coming back down in the steepest spot.

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 12:12 pm 
Wa walked on glaciers in Alaska. And we drove on roads with potholes. I found this video on the road on youtube. It doesn’t look scary. But I might head your advice. I will try to locate another video to see the stretch you’re talking about.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 12:26 pm 
kitya wrote:
When I had out of country colleagues visit last time (long time ago, before pandemic) in the late Summer, I took them for a short hike to the "sikrit" trail to Grouse Ridge.
Delete you post

Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 12:53 pm 
She can delete now. I took the photo. I will see what I can fit into the schedule. I won’t be able to fit it all though. Once I am there I think some will be split second decisions depending how things are going. Slabbyd—though now I am taking your advice with a bit of hesitation, sending me where masses are lol

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 1:15 pm 
Lots of people travel that road so I am not trying to make it scary. Nerve-racking? yes, but it is not scary for me because I am confident backing up without issues if I have to. But we will be walking it because it scares my wife (who is not unusually afraid of heights - I can't blame her because if I was not driving it might bother me too). The video focuses on the dips and turns which require ground clearance but does not display the exposure which is the only part that makes most people nervous. The video shows the narrow rocky section of the path in the distance at 8:40-9:05. Unfortunately, it does not show it well but that in itself shows that it is not a big concern to most hikers.

Mountainpines
brewermd

brewermd
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 4:06 pm 
The trails that kitya suggested, the secret (I don't understand his/her spelling joke) trails, are not maintained trails. I was on one last weekend and do the other each year as well. These trails are hunter/climber trails and if you intend to use them know this. The are spots that side hill through rough terrain, that have roots covering the trail, that have logs down that you have navigate and Price Lake has some spots very close to a drop off. To go to Price Lake you will be crossing a river so be aware that at high flow that can be dangerous and may or may not require crossing at early morning for best (low) flow. I drive up to twin lakes in a 2008 Honda Fit but that is me. I also drive the same car up to the Church Lake trailhead which most would consider insane. Again, this is about what you are comfortable with. I understand you do glacier travel and drive scary roads but if you are not from this area you might consider staying on the maintained trails. What you expect to get from a trail is unique to you, I hope you enjoy your time in this fine area.

Mountainpines
brewermd

brewermd
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 4:25 pm 
While you are here and utilizing the trails and lookouts, please consider a donation to help maintain them. I know that Winchester is maintained by one of the members here and am sure he would appreciate the donation to help with the upkeep of the lookout.

Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostThu Jul 22, 2021 4:26 pm 
Thank you all. Now, I am watching fires. Things are changing everyday. So, if I hike a few trails that are on my list already, I’ll be happy. I am going to read on the Grouse Ridge trail to see if it will be okay for our party.