Forum Index > Trail Talk > Winchester Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 3:44 pm 
Just hiked Winchester today. We even drove all the way up to Twin Lakes. Road is still bad but not as bad as we remembered. There is a snowbank blocking the trail about half way up. Somebody made a detour around it and indicated not to continue on the main trail with rocks. The detour is a steep and loose scramble but not really too bad. The snow Bank is very steep with bad runout so take the detour. The narrow rocky section is fine with good rock. Great day to be up there.

Mountainpines
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 3:47 pm 
Thank you for the update. I will hike another trail: Yellow Aster Butte instead. Again thank you!

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 pm 
If you are doing Yellow Aster consider starting early and getting as far up Tomyhoi as you can and feel comfortable (i.e. considerably higher than Yellow Aster Butte). It is worth it.

Off trail rambler

neek
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 1:36 pm 
Okay. Thank you Today, we have only about five hours after we check in. What would you pick for today? Thank you

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:09 pm 
Not sure I understand. You are pulling in to Glacier town? Only have 5 hours? I'd consider Excelsior Peak via Damfino Lakes https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/excelsior-peak-via-damfino-lakes-trail Long drive up Canyon Creek Rd., maybe 45 minutes, road begins just outside Glacier town. Payoff of long drive is relatively easy access to high country. Maybe 3 miles of trail, 1,400' of vertical gets you good views of Baker, Shuksan. Continue east on the High Divide (ridge walk) if you wish. That ridge trail goes east to Welcome Pass (perhaps another day). From there it is simple off trail to connect to Yellow Aster.

Off trail rambler
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:21 pm 
We are arriving to Glacier today smile.gif So, we are just starting.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 2:35 pm 
You got good choices for hikes there. Ranger station for advice. Not bad for food either. Breakfast burrito at Wake n Bakery. Post hike Chair 9 (Pizza) or Graham's

Off trail rambler
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 4:16 pm 
I second both the ranger station and food recommendations. You may be used to the heat better than we are but I saw one weather report that predicted 101 and 100 Fri and Sat. For us that means we do the more exposed hike Thu and stick with mostly tree cover and rivers or hopefully windy ridges Fri and Sat. Not a lot of a/c around here either. Heliotrope Ridge is cooler (but the creeks run high in the heat) and Ptarmigan Ridge although exposed generally gets a good breeze.

jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Aug 04, 2021 3:24 pm 
Mountainpines, how is your trip going? Are you still out hiking, or is your trip concluded? I am hoping that it is/was going well.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 8:56 am 
brewermd wrote:
I drive up to twin lakes in a 2008 Honda Fit but that is me.
We drove that road in a small 4x4 SUV which was perfect; narrow in case you have to pass, short wheelbase, almost no overhangs, and tight turning radius. 4WD provided a nice safety margin but was overkill. We parked next to a big Sprinter van who said they barely cleared the larger bumps (I would NOT have wanted to be driving that) and there was a standard minivan parked on the last switchback. I can imagine a small car would be fine so long as you don't high center on the big ditches. I was surprised at how much safer it seemed to be in a small SUV this time than my Ranger 4X4 last time. I think being up high before added to the feeling of exposure on the cliffsides.

Mountainpines
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 8:27 am 
We arrived late on that day and have to leave this one for next year! I wish there would be more time. But I am planning a trip for next year already. smile.gif