Forum Index > Trail Talk > Body of missing hiker found near Mount St. Helens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadedy

cascadedy
PostWed Jul 21, 2021 8:29 pm 
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crews-search-for-missing-hiker-near-mount-st-helens-in-southwest-washington/ This is particularly disheartening to me. Years ago I went there solo-hiking (in Mt. Whittier) in summer. I was not well-prepared, and was stupid, but got lost track of the trail. Out of desperation, I was almost going to go down the kind of cliff like he went - only at the last moment I realized that I had lost my mind and decided to pull myself up. Sure enough, after retracing my steps eventually I found the trail. Without any lamp I was finally able to get back before it became completely dark - phew, it was a close call. I don't know of course what has happened to him - May he rest in peace! For rest of us, to do this trail in loop can be very confusing, requires a good common sense and terrain navigation ability when you are on Mt. Whittier ridge, if this is the first time for you. Be careful out there.

KascadeFlat, Randito  HikingBex, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tubs93

tubs93
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 5:05 am 
https://tdn.com/lifestyles/the-scariest-hike-in-southwest-washington/article_92d9e8e4-ccef-11df-8aff-001cc4c03286.html Crazy the founder of this site was the subject of a TDN article in 2010 titled "The Scariest Hike in Southwest Washington" I wouldn't recommend solo hiking in the Mt. Margaret backcountry for anyone unfamiliar with the area as all the surrounding peaks can be treacherous for anyone inexperienced. I've been backpacking this area since I learned how to walk and one of my families tall tales is one trip up Minnie Peak on our way to Island/O'Conner Lakes and being no more then 3 or 4 years old I got tired so my uncle put me on his shoulders, and he stumbled/tripped with me flying off towards a nasty cliff face but was caught by the collar of my shirt, undoubtedly saving my life. I've no recollection of this event but from my father and uncles accounts it was a pretty damn harrowing experience. Not to be rude, but if you don't have a compass and topo map in your pack/know how to use them, you've no business soloing in the high country, and I'm only saying this so directly as a safety precaution because unfortunate accidents such as this young man that just passed breaks my heart. This area is especially dear to me, and is my most favorite/treasured wildness I've had the pleasure of exploring in the lower 48, admittedly the big sky country in MT is a pretty darn spectacular second though. Perhaps Indian Heaven would be a more appropriate area for intermediate backpackers as all the trails are pretty well-defined, I know it's fairly popular among lakebaggers as it consists of 150+ lakes and ponds, almost like a mini-Minnesota, where Mr. Yang originated from coincidentally.

"you reap what you sow"
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:34 am 
tubs93 wrote:
Crazy the founder of this site was the subject of a TDN article in 2010 titled "The Scariest Hike in Southwest Washington"
Close, but http://nwhiker.com is different from http://nwhikers.net. RIP Hiker.