Forum Index > Trip Reports > Necklace Valley and La Bohn fail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 10:57 am 
Thanks for your report and hoping your recovery is speedy so you can get back on the trail soon. A good reminder that having some form to communicate in such situations is vital. Thinking of an upgrade to InReach as I write this.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 12:09 pm 
Thanks to all of you for the well wishes. I really appreciate it. Regarding the boot question, they were Asolos. I use past tense because one boot had to be cut open on the helicopter ride. It is now an ex-boot. I also had micro spikes on. These survived the incident unscathed.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm 
I have never been up the Necklace Valley but have read a number of reports that mention how steep this snow slope is. This is a dramatic confirmation of that. I'm sorry about your injuries and wish you a speedy recovery.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 1:36 pm 
Rich Baldwin wrote:
It is now an ex-boot.
There's a Monty Python joke in here wink.gif Better an ex-boot than an ex-foot or an ex-Rich!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
There's a Monty Python joke in here wink.gif
Is it pining for the fjords?

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:19 pm 
I'm glad you are ok and will live to hike another day. up.gif Another thing to be glad about, is they took your pack out with you. Sometimes they do not do that, like when the rescue is off a cliff or some other difficult area where they don't need the complication of handling luggage. You picked a good place to land after sliding.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 3:40 pm 
Glad you are good. You're not the first NWHiker to take a fall there.

ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 9:57 am 
I'm glad you are ok. This is not a judgement on your situation, just a statement in general, since taking a fall a few years ago on a summer snowfield, I will always take crampons instead of microspikes.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 10:27 am 
ChinookPass wrote:
I will always take crampons instead of microspikes.
micro spikes seem good for a trail that is snow covered and a bit slippery, but on a steep snow field they would just pop right off if any real pressure was put on them. I was mm away from having a very similar thing happen to me crossing a snow filled gully near White Pass(GP) one summer. I was lucky that my self belay worked as my feet slide right out from under me and I was able to hold on to the ice axe. It would have been a 30 foot slide and then a 20 foot drop into the rocky gully at the bottom. I almost tried to cross it w/o taking my axe out as there were foot prints across. But caution prevailed and I didn't get a helicopter ride. If I ever run into that situation again the crampons will come out. Scary to find one's self in that situation. Helpless. Great that there were others around to help. I recovered from a serious skiing injury almost 30 years ago, determination to get back out there is key! No matter what the doc said (he was a massive pessimist).

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 10:50 am 
Glad you're OK, mostly. Reminds me of my mishap at Lake Constance several decades ago. It also involved snow and doing something objectively safe for my skills. My injuries weren't as serious as yours, although I required a helo fly-out. You don't get back down that trail with a full achilles tendon rupture and possible bone breaks. Best for a speedy recovery. crutches.gif up.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 6:24 pm 
Reading this is sobering. I cant help but think of how many trips I made into the mountains solo. Many of them off trail. I was never hurt. My eye sight notwithstanding, Im a lucky man.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Chief Joseph
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 7:35 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Reading this is sobering. I cant help but think of how many trips I made into the mountains solo. Many of them off trail. I was never hurt. My eye sight notwithstanding, Im a lucky man.
Totally. I always feel so lucky once I make it back to the vehicle. Even later that night or the next day. ~z

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 10:10 am 
I’ve been up and down that gap many times, using an elevation ruler from Map Tools, the center section for several hundred feet is just about a forty-five-degree slope. The problem I’ve had is descending later in the afternoon when there is three to four inches of soft snow on top of the super hard snow/ice below and it is difficult to kick down and get purchase with crampons that required on my last trip several years ago three quick arrests on the steeper portions. I’m also familiar with the “fisherman’s trial" that ends up just to the right of the outlet of lower La Bohn and for myself that is always a safe bet. It could have been me on that last trip, get well soon!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 2:06 pm 
You described one of my nightmares perfectly! Last time I was there, I befriended a really tall (basically 7') younger hiker (from my perspective, that's anyone under 30!). The next day he set out on his own and when I ran into him, he had broken his leg in a fall (although the break happened without a lot of impact, leading him to think it was a stress fracture). I gave him an Ace bandage and a bunch of Ibuprofin and told him I'd get help and call his wife to let her know. Naturally, I had no cell reception, so I couldn't call 911 to report the accident until hours later. When I called, I emphasized the size of this guy (even though not at all fat, he weighed around 260), and the broken leg, and gave them the GPS coordinates where he was laying. When the first rescue crew arrived, they said 911 didn't mention anything about his size(!), and you should have seen the looks on their faces when I told them! Anyway, the got on the radio and called in a chopper for the rescue. When I spoke with him later, I was told the chopper pilot chewed him out for having moved a ways from his GPS location making it tough to find him, so keep that in mind if this happens to you!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 2:21 pm 
Curious if this slippery slope melts out later in the year? Also a bit confused about the alternate? “Fisherman’s Trail” and what are the reasons for not taking that route?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.