Forum Index > Trip Reports > 7-23-2021 Mt Sefrit 7191' (Baker area)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 4:45 pm 
Well it's kinda been a year of obscure peakbagging so Hans and myself decided to continue the trend lol! dizzy.gif The peak desired this go round would be Sefrit! I've always wanted to climb this lil monster since climbing Ruth Mtn back in my first year of doin this thing that we all enjoy! rocker.gif I remember walking under it on the hannegan pass trail and thinking it must be Shuksan with how dominating it was lol. dizzy.gif Then recently this year when we climbed Goat Mtn it made a lasting impression for sure! We were able to find a good TR on peakbagger from a dood by the name of Andy Boos! As luck would have it he was kind enough to add a track as well, thanks Andy it probably saved us a lot of misery! borank.gif Before this discovery I'd always planned on approaching up the north couloir of the mountain in early season as most do. I wasn't too keen on that route to be honest...gnarly! eek.gif Andy's route went up the south slope accessed from the nooksack cirque trail. This immediately grabbed my attention. So as per freakin usual Hans and yours truly found ourselves at the trail at 5am and hiking by 530am. banana.gif The first obstacle is the Ford of Ruth creek. We searched briefly for a log crossing but found none. The water was shin deep so I just ran across and had moderately wet feet all day lol, my laziness is confounding sometimes! shakehead.gif Hans walked across barefoot. After the crossing we walked the trail 2 miles and after the foot bridge we cut southeast up the dense slopes. The idea is to take the line of least resistance and kind of parallel the creek on up to 5800ft where you bust out into the alpine! Around 2800ft we were a little off route and encountered some horrible slide alder...man I was hoping this wasn't a sign of things to come lol. ninja.gif Luckily we got back on track and the brush died out mostly. We climbed up forested slopes for 3200ft or so, most of it was pretty steep. A lot of it was littered with deadfall too which made travel a little slow at times. moon.gif At 5200ft we took a break at the first stream we came across, time was 930am. After the break we continued up to 5800ft paralleling the creek on the topo. The trees began to give way and we broke on through to the alpine!! Wow...this lil basin at 5800ft is pretty badass! rocker.gif We had clear views of Sefrit proper, Shuksan, Baker, and so much more!!! Time was 945am. We definitely took another break here to study the surroundings and our route up this bastard! cheers.gif
Nooksack cirque trail
Nooksack cirque trail
offtrail
offtrail
closer to the alpine
closer to the alpine
We saw hundreds of these trees. Stripped of the bark and only one did we see actual claw marks. What the hell would have done all that lol!
We saw hundreds of these trees. Stripped of the bark and only one did we see actual claw marks. What the hell would have done all that lol!
first views of the mountain
first views of the mountain
The basin
The basin
cheers with Sefrit behind
cheers with Sefrit behind
From the basin there is an obvious rocky gully that acsends north up to a saddle around 6900ft just east of Sefrit. We started up at 10am and stayed on heather slopes as high as we could, climber's right, before entering said gully. We then trudged upwards to about 6800ft where we located a steep gully to climber's left. This gully went class 3-4 and was pretty loose but it granted passage to join the east ridge up higher at 7000ft. It had been a pretty enjoyable endeavor up to here and it got a lot better! banana.gif From the ridge we climbed to a sub summit then stayed on the knifey ridge for a bit! The scenery is rather dramatic all around! eek.gif Nice rock if you look for it and some class 3-4 with some exposure here and there! A little spice is nice baby!! rocker.gif A 100ft below the summit we traversed out to the left to locate a class 4 chimney to gain the summit block for real! There is a left trending gully that we climbed to find the true summit!! Stoked. Truly. breakdance.gif Man what a beautiful place in the cascades! From up here the scenery was breathtaking! From Baker to Shuksan, to the Chilliwacks and pickets! The Larrabee group and Tomyhoi! We made it up here around 1130am, so 6hrs from the car which was better than we expected lol! The summit is pretty comfortable so we loitered up there for about 2hrs. We even found the register which can use a new cannister if anyone remembers. What an airy perch indeed! Cheers! drink.gif
ooh bakey
ooh bakey
approaching the gully, just out of sight
approaching the gully, just out of sight
Hans and gully
Hans and gully
Gully proper
Gully proper
Topping out of the little gully that branches off from the main gully
Topping out of the little gully that branches off from the main gully
upper heather slopes leading to the east ridge
upper heather slopes leading to the east ridge
on the ridge looking east
on the ridge looking east
Some class 3 up on da ridge
Some class 3 up on da ridge
The chimney up towards the top
The chimney up towards the top
Hans loving the spice
Hans loving the spice
Block proper
Block proper
There it be
There it be
Dayummm
Dayummm
Hans being Hans lol
Hans being Hans lol
Chilliwacks
Chilliwacks
Oooowweeeee
Oooowweeeee
Larrabee and friends
Larrabee and friends
After a nice nap and sensory overload we retraced our route back down. Time 2pm. The way back down is always more enjoyable taking in all the scenery. agree.gif We downclimbed all the hazards and arrived back at the basin in an hour. Another break here and water refill. I love looking back at the day's work (the peak) from below and takin it all in. smile.gif That's one of my favorite parts of these trips. So with the last views of the alpine we entered the woods and made the tedious descent into the woods towards the nooksack. We were kinda dreading the potential shwack down low but we able to stay on Andy's track more so this time! Thank God because the bush was very manageable at worst, and that was just the last 100ft or so, then the trail!! Stoked to be on the trail we made quick work back to the car and arrived just after 7pm, making for a 13.5hr day! I think the mileage was around 12miles. The gain about 4900ft. Another pretty sick peak in the bag we were again satisfied for another week anyhow, lol! Thanks Hans for joining again and cheers to all of y'all!! cheers.gif
Parting ways
Parting ways
Framer
Framer
Hans below the summit
Hans below the summit
Hans on sub summit
Hans on sub summit
Mighty Shuksan
Mighty Shuksan
little gully at 6800ft
little gully at 6800ft
Yea buddy
Yea buddy
Shuk to Baker
Shuk to Baker
Love me some flowers
Love me some flowers
Sefrit in all it's glory, from this side at least lol
Sefrit in all it's glory, from this side at least lol
Last look
Last look
Last bush
Last bush

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

mosey, Silas, Frodo Barefoot, pjhorst, Nancyann, reststep, flatsqwerl, Route Loser, rubywrangler, KascadeFlat, ONELUV1, RichP, Tom
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 7:02 pm 
Very very cool. I was not aware that people do this peak without snow. Looks great. Badass

Summitpost | YouTube | Peakbagger

Frodo Barefoot, ozzy
Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 8:00 pm 
Well done and entertainingly written, as always. Gotta love that Lovenox register.

ozzy
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jul 25, 2021 8:49 pm 
Congratulations on your successful endeavor. The peak has not seen many visitors since Creeden and I left the register sixteen years ago. The Lovenox paper was given out by a drug rep at the hospital. Our fording of Ruth Creek was the crux of the climb for us as we forded it in the afternoon when snowmelt greatly increased the flow.

ozzy
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 7:46 pm 
Might be the best view of shuksan from there. Wow!

Eric Eames

ozzy
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Jul 26, 2021 7:51 pm 
Nice trip gentlemen! rocker.gif I really like this here photo:
ozzy wrote:
The basin
The basin
That's the essence of peakbagging right there. I can practically feel the stoke!

ozzy
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 am 
ozzy wrote:
Hans being Hans lol
Hans being Hans lol
As r3h remarked, this may be the best view of Shuksan. Check plate 8c opposite page 65 on Geology of the North Cascades by Tabor and Haugerud for a ' hammock view' from this point. By the way, when we climbed Sefrit in August 1967 we climbed from the north. We left the Hannegan Pass trail about 1 mile along, easily crossed the creek, and ascended granitic slabs then heather to the ridge east of the summit. If you scope out the line from below you will encounter almost no brush after getting up out of the valley. At that time we were the fourth registrants in the summit register.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still

ozzy