Forum Index > Trip Reports > Strolling on Sourdough/Stetattle Ridge, 7/22-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 11:11 am 
Joined another Mtr backpacking trip, this time to a NC ridge. We started from Sourdough TH in Diablo to the ridge then down and up to the Ross Dam TH. Rob got a permit at the Sourdough Camp and an xc camp, but after seeing an old sign in avy debris we were unimpressed by the camp. We did find two sites hidden in the trees nearby, but decided our excuse would be that they were too small for our four tents. We then continued on to the ridge to find an xc site. It ended up over 5k' uphill to our 1st night camp, pretty good for mostly no-longer-so-young retirees.
21.5 mi, range: 895' to 6493' gross: +8616' -7385'
21.5 mi, range: 895' to 6493' gross: +8616' -7385'
camp w/ alpine views
camp w/ alpine views
many tarns for clear water
many tarns for clear water
alpine ranger checking on us
alpine ranger checking on us
After dinner sunset watch:
Full Moon over Ruby!
Next day we just sauntered on Stetattle Ridge as far as we felt like. I hinted checking out Elephant Butte, got close enough to get some idea for its effort level.
tarn w/ clouds
tarn w/ clouds
Fire in East:
Turning around:
Azure lake, sorry about no color
Azure lake, sorry about no color
Elephant Butte! maybe next time?
Elephant Butte! maybe next time?
hhhmm...
hhhmm...
much better!
much better!
Head of Sourdough Creek in winter and summer:
Nov 2014
Nov 2014
Last day, just gentle downhill on Sourdough Ridge.
The last 500' up from Ross Dam to the car was a little tough. Overall, it's a nice loop hike with changing scenery and with few people.

seawallrunner, Schroder, jaysway, Jellyphysh, Brushbuffalo, Route Loser, gymcarrey, thxII38, Frodo Barefoot, ozzy, Nancyann, Tom, raising3hikers, neek, RichP, reststep, awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 1:50 pm 
Lovely. This one has been on my wish list for a long time.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 5:21 pm 
Kenji wrote:
I hinted checking out Elephant Butte, got close enough to get some idea for its effort level.
Beautiful views and great report. "Effort level"--now that's a good set of words there. Succinct description. I might have to use this every now and then. wink.gif Thanks, ~z

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Jul 27, 2021 7:29 pm 
Many moons I've dreamed of this trip, walking Stetattle Ridge, maybe, just maybe having enough juice left to do Elephant Butte. 5k off the deck? You all are some styling retirees!

Off trail rambler
thxII38

thxII38
PostWed Jul 28, 2021 8:00 am 
Last year I did a very similar trip along Stetattle Ridge. My ultimate goal was Elephant Butte, but I brought my summer sleeping bag instead of my warmer bag because the forecast was very wrong (got down to below freezing, and forecast was for mid-40s!). So, I went as far along the ridge as peak 6728. Getting to EB was a failure for me, but just being up there was a major win. What a fabulous place! I am planning to head back up there very soon (with my warm sleeping bag!) to get to EB. Your trip report has been very helpful. Seeing your photos has been great. It confirms what I have come to expect from my Caltopo Pro satellite imagery. THANKS!!! Great Beta!

I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.

Jellyphysh
Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 5:13 pm 
Lovely! I have backpacked up there twice, most recently to Elephant Butte. I loved camping near the Stetattle summit, just amazing terrain and so fun to explore.

Jellyphysh
Serene Wanderer

Jellyphysh
Serene Wanderer
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 9:18 pm 
Beautiful photos! I am thinking of hiking around there in a month or so. I really want to see Azure lake! Did it look like there was anyway to get down there from sourdough? Casually hiking? Lol I don't have experience mountaineering just yet and all the other ways I'm seeing, like coming in from Stetattle, say that it's miserable bushwhacking for miles

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 8:23 am 
"it's miserable bushwhacking for miles". agree.gif My buddies and I taught ourselves mountaineering back in the 90's at Glacier NP in MT. Joke then was that "there is death by alder and there is death by rockfall. Death by rockfall is preferable."

Off trail rambler

Jellyphysh
Jellyphysh
Serene Wanderer

Jellyphysh
Serene Wanderer
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 8:30 am 
Darn! Hahaha either Ill have to organize a group effort for the bushwacking route, or find someone who is experienced with ropes to get me down there! My partner and I are very much newbies to backpacking, but we have settled on taking our third backpacking trip up to Lily Basin next month. Wish us luck!

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Silas

Silas
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 9:43 am 
Thanks for the report. Loved that area and definitely worth the elevation. Azure lake will always have a special place in my heart; looked down on it from Glee right before the smoke rolled in and was reminded of fond memories my wife and I shared there many moons ago. Jellyphysh, I believe there are three ways to get to Azure: Stetattle Creek, descend off EB, and descend a couloir from Terror Basin/arm off the ridge connecting Glee to Little Mac. Descending off EB was sketchy without a rope (at least the way we went). It involved down climbing some class 4 slabs. Descending from Terror basin looks doable, maybe. But I have never tried it. Hiking through Stetattle is hard. But I think if you can go through Stetattle, every approach in the North Cascades will be easy in comparison so maybe that is a reason to try it.

Slim
Jellyphysh
Serene Wanderer

Jellyphysh
Serene Wanderer
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 9:57 am 
Thanks for the tips Silas! I will have to look into the Terror Basin route and see if I can figure something out! biggrin.gif