Forum Index > Trail Talk > End of the big stink? Rain coming?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 6:43 am 
Both the GFS and ECMWF now show a significant pattern change; initially with thunderstorms that look to become wetter as they progress. But then by the 4th or 5th starting to look like it could get wetter and much cooler. This is still bouncing around a bit but it is trending in that direction. It looks like SE BC will benefit from at least the rain with the thunderstorms. Keeping my fingers crossed as I don't like heat and don't like smoke and wildfires obviously.

RichP, InFlight
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 8:03 am 
That would be great Gary! All of the plants and forests of the PNW look like they need it badly.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 8:07 am 
Good for forest fires, hopefully not too much lightning before significant rain. Clouds would be a bummer for Peresieds viewing.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 12:03 pm 
Randito wrote:
Clouds would be a bummer for Peresieds viewing.
Maybe I've done it all wrong...but this has always been a let down. Forecast models vs discussion seem all over the board at the moment at least as far as smoke issues are concerned.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 12:07 pm 
Get your high alpine pursuits in while you can. Accumulated rain through Thursday evening, Aug 5.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 12:25 pm 
We have guests coming from California. It's rained every time they've visited - why should this time be any different?

kiliki, Chief Joseph, rbuzby
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 12:33 pm 
I have a lookout hike planned for Saturday. Forecast says partly sunny, then mostly cloudy Saturday night. Might have to flip a coin. Not sure if it will be sunny enough to see the views or not. On the plus side, our most active new member got some good weather this week for their much anticipated visit to our state. Hopefully mountainpines will give us a TR after pumping the website so vigorously for info. He/she got lucky with the timing, just before the RAIN comes in.

zimmertr, kw
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 12:44 pm 
I'm looking forward to Mountainpine's reports as well!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

rbuzby
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 1:01 pm 
I MC an annual Peace Concert event at Magnuson park, the ones in July go off w/o a hitch, the ones in early Aug get rained on...this year its on Aug 8th... rockband.gif Supposed to be at Kite Hill, 1pm to about 6:30 or so, 3 bands: Acoustic band, A Willie/Waylon cover band and a Grateful Dead cover band.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 3:26 pm 
Schroder wrote:
We have guests coming from California. It's rained every time they've visited - why should this time be any different?
lol.gif Righto Schroder. haha ~z Just saw this.
rbuzby wrote:
Hopefully mountainpines will give us a TR after pumping the website so vigorously for info.
This is hilarious. wink.gif ~z

rbuzby
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 3:33 pm 
Quote:
rbuzby wrote: Hopefully mountainpines will give us a TR after pumping the website so vigorously for info. This is hilarious. wink.gif ~z
If you all are really chomping at the bit, she has been posting trip reports on Trip Advisor, where she has so thoroughly worn out her welcome that I think she's on her fourth user name in an attempt to go incognito. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28968-i73-k13625030-Day_2_update-Washington.html

rbuzby  zimmertr
pula58

pula58
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 4:10 pm 
hiking and or backpacking in the rain is far better for me than hiking in smoke with red skies. I'll take the rain any day! Give me the old days, when I first moved out here, when it rained a lot more during the summer!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jul 29, 2021 4:35 pm 
pula58 wrote:
I'll take the rain any day! Give me the old days, when I first moved out here, when it rained a lot more during the summer!
1997, 1998 for me. But summer, 1999, the summer we never had, is when I started doing a lot of hiking, backpacking and tons of trail working. I didn't know any better, and I was out in it a LOT that summer. To me, cool, wet weather was normal. Still is. Bring it.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

reststep
DadFly

DadFly
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 9:43 am 
Last time it rained in Redmond I just walked out and took a shower for an hour. Many were grateful.....

"May you live in interesting times"
gb

gb
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 5:38 pm 
7/31 PM NWS Forecast Discussion:
Quote:
Action should be focused mainly on the North Cascades Sunday as deterministic models and ensembles continue to agree on showing some encouraging rain chances for the northern half of the Cascades. CAPE and LI values remain persistent in signaling that a slight chance of thunderstorms might still be in the cards during this time frame and as such inherited forecast looks good as it covers this prospect. This activity once again thanks to an embedded shortwave within the ridge itself and will push northward into Canada Sunday night, bringing a return to dry conditions on Monday. Temps Sunday and Monday will reach into the 80s for most interior locations each day. Coastal locations of course will be cooler with highs right around 70. 18 .LONG TERM /TUESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...Significant upper level ridging over the Western US will keep conditions dry for W WA into mid-week, however a pair of upper level lows, one off the CA coast and another in the Gulf of Alaska signal a change in the weather pattern over the area. The CA trough will begin to impact the area starting Wednesday afternoon and while there is not a lot of moisture with it, it does bring slight chance to chance pops to the area. If nothing else, it serves to soften up the area for the northern upper low to drop down into the area, bringing better chances for precip. Deterministic models differ by about 12 hours bringing this feature in...ECMWF aiming for late Thursday afternoon or Thursday evening while the GFS drags its feet with a Friday morning arrival. Ensemble plumes seem to side a bit more with the Euro timing however and this is the timing indicated within the long term forecast. Deterministic models are in great agreement on the track of the low with precip chances lingering Friday and into next weekend. Sure, given how far out in the forecast that is, a little early to celebrate...but its enough right now to give area lawns a little bit of hope.

Noheaperture