Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chilliwack River Valley Fire?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Worthington

Worthington
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 pm 
It's crazy how already this year we've had: Red Apple Fire Cub Creek Fire Bear Creek Fire All human caused.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 11:33 pm 
Worthington wrote:
All human caused.
The vast majority of wildfires are. I've seen stats commonly reported as high as 85-90% of them. https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-wildfires

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 12:03 am 
It’s so demoralizing.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 7:01 am 
rbuzby wrote:
Wow. I hiked right through where all those orange dots are coming down from Bear once. Off route. That area burned around 100 years ago, per Beckey.
Nice map you posted. Here is the interactive version. MODIS and VIIRS satellite hotspot data generally updates between 5-7am and again 5-7pm. Mind your navigation in this area or you run the risk of falling off the edge of the world. https://mappingsupport.com/p2/gissurfer.php?center=48.953054,-121.369400&zoom=12&basemap=ESRI_scanned_topo_USA&overlay=VIIRS_24_hours,MODIS_24_hours,State_boundary,Wildland_fire_name,County,ESRI_roads_and_labels&data=https://mappingsupport.com/p2/special_maps/disaster/USA_wildland_fire.txt

rbuzby
kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 8:52 am 
jupsal wrote:
Fletcher wrote:
In this new era of climate change, I wish that the penalties of starting these fires was MUCH more severe. This was pretty Lo clearly human caused. It’s a huge bummer.
Especially because they know exactly who was there the last few nights (probably last night) due to the permitting system. I have a feeling they will be fined, but probably not much.
This is terrible news. Thanks struggle10 for the report. I agree penalties should be far worse. A big problem right now is that people are ignoring the permit system, so the perpetrators may not have had one. My bet would be that anyone ignoring the fire ban also did not see the need for a permit.

mike

mike
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 12:04 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
That area burned around 100 years ago, per Beckey.
Also burned in the 1970's. For a few years the fire line made for easy access to the ridge.

rbuzby
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 4:16 pm 
I saw a huge smoke plume rising from up there yesterday on my way back from hiking maple pass...way hot yesterday along with some nice breezes. I did not see any smoke driving in early morning yesterday. on n cascade website, does give info on trail closures AND unclear about how it started..only that got reported yesterday. Damn!

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 7:28 pm 
Watched this fire grow yesterday from Bearpaw Ridge. Even saw a couple lightning strikes from a pyrocumulus cloud at sunset.

Cyclopath  jaysway, HikingBex
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostSun Aug 01, 2021 1:20 pm 
Another update from NCNP: https://www.nps.gov/noca/learn/news/bear-creek-fire-update.htm "The Bear Creek Fire received approximately .10 inches of rain overnight and is currently receiving additional moisture today. The fire is estimated at 150 acres. Acreage is expected to increase as more accurate mapping information becomes available. The fire is in a remote Wilderness area with extremely steep terrain, very limited access and heavy, low-moisture, fuel loads. Due to the location, weather, and smoke constraints, firefighters are unable to currently engage directly on the fires edge safely. Crews are actively gathering intelligence and information to develop safe and effective strategic planning opportunities to implement a confine and contain strategy on the fire. Saturday’s fire behavior was significantly less due to cooler temperatures and moisture in the area. Flight operations for information gathering and mapping are planned if weather improves. Fire behavior is expected to remain the same today. Park officials have closed portions of the Copper Ridge and Chilliwack trails due to the fire’s proximity. The Copper Ridge Trail is closed from Copper Lookout to the junction with the Chilliwack Trail. The Chilliwack Trail is closed from the junction of Brush Creek Trail to the north terminus. Copper Lake, Bear Creek, and Indian Creek camps are also closed. Wildfires can produce high quantities of smoke. During wildfire activity, firefighters can do little to reduce smoke impacts. Affected communities should remain aware of smoke advisories and conditions. Learn more at airnow.gov or visit https://wasmoke.blogspot.com/." They also tweeted this image, not sure exactly where it was taken:

zimmertr, Cyclopath
pula58

pula58
PostSun Aug 01, 2021 4:34 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Could have been an illegal crossing from BC although I can’t imagine smuggling weed into WA. That is an old smuggling route.
Are there any facts that support that a human being who crossed into the USA illegally from Canada started this particular fire?

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:12 pm 
altersego
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:20 pm 
pula58 wrote:
Are there any facts that support that a human being who crossed into the USA illegally from Canada started this particular fire?
Ranger on Cooper Ridge told me the area sees a lot of drug smugglers. It's kid of weird to approach this trail via bike. Not that that proves it was someone with illicit intentions.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:44 pm 
pula58 wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Could have been an illegal crossing from BC although I can’t imagine smuggling weed into WA. That is an old smuggling route.
No; that's why he started the sentence with "could have been." up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
philfort

philfort
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 1:51 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Person of interest sought in this fire: https://www.nps.gov/noca/learn/news/bear-creek-fire-seeking-information-person-of-interest.htm
Fascinating... there was a huge thread on that WHC facebook group (which resulted in me getting banned lol.gif ) started by someone who removed that bike from several miles up the trail (because it was in a wilderness area) and brought it back to the trailhead and left it there.

mosey
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 2:39 pm 
Only tangentially related, I just read that Greenville CA was overrun by the Dixie Fire. frown.gif