Forum Index > Trail Talk > St Helens south side hike conditions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 4:24 pm 
My eldest grandson managed to snag two permits to hike St Helens, and dad is reluctantly going along. Grandson wants to leave parking lot early enough to see sunrise from the summit, or thereabouts, and dad isn't at all thrilled with this idea, thinking the "trail" such that it may be, will be strewn with rocks, boulders and all manner of night time hiking hazards. I've never been on the south side of St Helens, so I have no idea what to tell them. If you have any good experience based advice, would you want to share with me, so I can relate to my son what the trail is REALLY like? Thanks, all!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kw

kw
PostFri Jul 30, 2021 4:32 pm 
How much experience do you guys have with rock scrambling? Most of the trail is pretty clear where to go, but there are a few steep rocky sections that might be a bit technical for someone inexperienced in the dark. The top section (past the rock scramble) is all rocky pumice but isn’t really scrambling, it’s just very steep hiking. The one up-side is that you’re above the tree line for most of the ascent so depending on how bright the moon is (and your headlamps are) it’ll be pretty easy to see forward.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Jul 31, 2021 7:07 am 
kw wrote:
How much experience do you guys have with rock scrambling? Most of the trail is pretty clear where to go, but there are a few steep rocky sections that might be a bit technical for someone inexperienced in the dark.
Thank you for the reply. I have sufficient scrambling and climbing experience to negotiate this, but my son and grandson do not. I'm not going to be able to join on this trip, so I'll pass this on to my son. The rock scrambling in the dark is what concerned him most.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology