Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cadet Peaks 7/31/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 8:36 pm 
Saturday marked the start of Smaugust, a day early. The forecast was for overcast skies (high clouds) and incoming smoke from wildfires. I wanted to go somewhere that had good nearby views, and distant views that I wouldn't mind missing out on. The Monte Cristo area seemed like it would fit the bill and Cadet Peak had been on my radar so I loaded up my bike and headed off for Barlow Pass. I left my big camera at home and just used my phone, which I regret. For beta on this trip I used this great trip report from MidLifeHiker as well as Gimpilator's and Ozzy's. I followed GPS tracks from Armit Panda and Bret Wiencke found on peakbagger which followed the route very well. Around 6:15am I mounted my bike and started pedaling up the trail to Monte Cristo. I had been there only once before, about 9 years ago, so I was excited to see the area again. The road up is decent for biking, with several sections you need to get off your bike and push it along a hiking trail or carry it over a log crossing the Sauk River. It definitely is nice to have a bike for the portion leading to Monte Cristo, and even better on the way down! The main town site of Monte Cristo is just as I remember it. On my last trip I headed up to Poodle Dog Pass to climb Columbia, but this time Glacier Basin was the destination so I headed towards the bridge leading to Dumas Street. Heading up Dumas St was pretty wild. All kinds of dilapidated buildings, sign posts marking where historical buildings used to be... It looked like a normal hiking trail, but it used to be a street people lived on! Pretty cool... I enjoyed the history of the area a lot more than I thought I would but I had a peak to climb so I carried on towards Glacier Basin.
Monte Cristo signs
Monte Cristo signs
Entering the town site
Entering the town site
Railway Turntable
Railway Turntable
Main town site
Main town site
Dilapidated building
Dilapidated building
The trail heads east up Glacier Creek with occasional views of the stream cascading down from near Ida Pass. Some hazy golden hour light lit up some of the nearby slopes as the trail turned south and the basin came into view. Wilmans Spires were the first to come into view, then Monte Cristo Peak and Twin Bear. What a place! Glacier Basin did not disappoint, it was beautiful. Not sure about the water situation for the rest of the route, I filled up here (good call) and started the ascent towards the hidden gully and the start of the route up Cadet. I took talus up the right side of the washed out gully and crossed over on rock above some lingering snow to an obvious ramp at the base of a small cliff, elevation ~5100+ ft. At the end of the ramp is the first hidden gully, as in it's a fairly solid blocky rock gully completely overgrown on the sides by brush. Steep scrambling aided by veggie belays ensued as I made my way up. Eventually the route turns NE on a ridge. There were a few flags and an occasional cairn and I kept myself on track by checking my GPS. The whole route is super steep the entire time. Around 6600 ft there is a traverse under some cliffs to reach easier terrain due west from the summit. It was a fairly easy scramble up from there. 4:30 from the car I stood on the summit of Cadet. rocker.gif
Cascading stream
Cascading stream
Golden hour light
Golden hour light
What a morning!
What a morning!
About to enter Glacier Basin
About to enter Glacier Basin
Sunrise over Glacier Basin
Sunrise over Glacier Basin
Environs
Environs
Washed out gully
Washed out gully
Ramp leading to hidden gully
Ramp leading to hidden gully
Getting up there!
Getting up there!
Steep terrain
Steep terrain
Wilmans Peak and Columbia
Wilmans Peak and Columbia
Wow! What views! Looking south you have Monte Cristo Peak with Kyes behind it on the left, and Wilmans Peak with Columbia behind it on the right... what a spread! Then, looking north the "ship at sea" side of Sloan Peak was pretty impressive and Glacier Peak was visible back there too. I feel like I picked the perfect peak for the conditions that day, and I had it all to myself!
Cadet Summit Panorama
Cadet Summit Panorama
Monte Cristo and Kyes
Monte Cristo and Kyes
Wilmans and Columbia
Wilmans and Columbia
Summit selfie
Summit selfie
Rover and NW Cadet (and Sloan)
Rover and NW Cadet (and Sloan)
Sloan Peak
Sloan Peak
I spent an hour up there before heading off for Rover (North Cadet). The route between the two is pretty straight forward and easy to route find. There was a patch of snow which Gimpilator mentioned going above so I headed that way. It was an easy moat until the last bit where I had to stem with my butt on a cliff and feet on snow about 20 feet. Going below the snow on the way back was easier. I really got distracted on my way over, taking lots of pictures of flowers, rocks, and mud. It took me about 40 minutes to get to Rover.
Rover and Sloan
Rover and Sloan
"Lets post up here, in this choss!" - Ferns
"Lets post up here, in this choss!" - Ferns
Rocks and flowers
Rocks and flowers
Mud and flowers
Mud and flowers
Rocks and mud
Rocks and mud
Flowers and rocks
Flowers and rocks
Cadet from near Rover's summit
Cadet from near Rover's summit
Great views from Rover too! Cadet looked really cool from the summit. The best part was the register dating back to '73. I was the first to sign in since 2019. In the last decade, this one gets about one ascent per year on average. I love peaks like that.
Rover register
Rover register
last page
last page
Cadet and co from Rover
Cadet and co from Rover
In my element
In my element
NW Rover and Foggy
NW Rover and Foggy
The weather was a bit dicey at this point and looked like it might rain. I considered heading back right away but summit fever is strong and NW Cadet was right there! I stayed for a bit before deciding to tag NW Cadet (maybe W Cadet?) and head back. It was a pretty easy trip from Rover to NW Cadet, took about 10 minutes. It was worth it for the better views of Sloan and Goat Lake as well as the ridge NW towards Foggy and the Gemini Peaks.
Rover, Cadet, Wilmans
Rover, Cadet, Wilmans
Foggy and Gemini Peaks
Foggy and Gemini Peaks
Sloan and Goat Lake
Sloan and Goat Lake
I traversed back towards the descent route for Cadet and sure enough it started to rain on the way back, which wasn't forecasted. I was worried about insufficient layers (I just packed a wind shirt, not a rain shell) and the potential for slick rock during the class 3 portions of the descent. Fortunately neither of those concerns became an issue as it sprinkled lightly on and off for the next 90 minutes, never saturating the ground much or soaking me enough to even put on my wind shirt. In fact, the rain was pretty refreshing and nice. Not much to report for the descent except it was really nice to have a bike to ride the last 4.5 miles to the trailhead! I forgot how much these bike approach trips can be, and I aim to do a few more that have been on my radar recently.
Wilmans on descent
Wilmans on descent
Trees
Trees
Glacier basin 1
Glacier basin 1
Glacier basin 2
Glacier basin 2
Glacier basin 3
Glacier basin 3
Grass and trail
Grass and trail
~17.5 miles, 5700 ft gain, 10:30 c2c

raising3hikers, ozzy, freddyfredpants, abkoch3, geyer, hot.choss, Tom, kw, Gimpilator, RichP  Schroder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 8:49 pm 
Great shots despite the smoke and camera. Bike-hikes are the best!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 9:07 pm 
Spectacular trip. There are some really great scenes in there. Beautiful country. Lots of places you could just dawdle if you weren't on a mission. Like this one just as an example. ~z
awilsondc wrote:
Environs
Environs

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 9:27 pm 
Thanks for great photos of a place I'll never make it to again

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Aug 03, 2021 9:52 pm 
I remember those trees lol.gif Killer photography.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 10:40 am 
Awesome dood! rocker.gif Looks like you made the right choice to avoid the smoke. I love Cadet, it has a lot of bang for the buck! Then Rover is right there...so sweet! I think I might find myself in that area again this year lol! Cheers man and it's awesome to see the register photos too! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 05, 2021 10:54 am 
Schroder wrote:
Thanks for great photos of a place I'll never make it to again
+1...I have been there once maybe 8 years ago, but I really don't have an excuse for not going back, other than I'm lazy and there's no lake or fish.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

ozzy