Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mebee Fire Lookout Restoration
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Scurlock

John Scurlock
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 5:36 pm 
Dear friends, after an eight year hiatus this project is showing some stirrings of life, with talk of working on it next year to install shutters and possibly windows and a proper door. No actual planning has been done yet but some preliminary discussions are underway, involving the core group from 2013 (west-siders and Methow folk) and the USFS. I will post periodic updates as things progress. The actual work on the building will likely involve helicopter transport of materials and the work crew, though trail work is contemplated as well. Other than that I don't have too many specifics just yet. I will ask one thing of the group here: Please spread the word that visitors to Mebee should be aware that, under no circumstances, can there be any open flames in or near that building. No candles, no incense, no stoves, no fires of any sort. There is some evidence that this hasn't been the case up there, with the remains of combustibles being found in and around the lookout. It's tiny - 10x10'... it's historic value is immeasurable - it's the last surviving L-5 fire lookout, and it is vulnerable. We are working to save and restore it, and we need all the help we can get from visitors. Thanks!

geyer, snowmonkey, Matt, Kim Brown, jaysway, neek, Opus, dave allyn, kiliki, Foist, hapemask, ejain, RodF
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 6:42 pm 
Big thanks to you and your crew for your work on this very worthwhile project. Has a sign been put up there to remind visitors of this?

John Scurlock
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 6:57 pm 
Maybe there isn’t a sign as this visitor recommends bringing candles to make it “…more romantic than a headlamp.” https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2021-07-13-8608027707

John Scurlock

John Scurlock
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 pm 
We had hoped “common sense”… but alas… A sign will be included in future plans…

John Scurlock

John Scurlock
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 10:32 pm 
See above… nobody anticipated the need by some to to make Mebee any more romantic than it already is… maybe future plans should include a speaker system to play strangers in the night….

mosey, Matt
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Sep 11, 2021 9:28 am 
John Scurlock wrote:
We had hoped “common sense”… but alas…
Totally agree. I just think you'll have better luck reaching the offending audience with a sign on-location than a post on NWH smile.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 11, 2021 10:04 am 
I think John is reaching out to any community he can. So posting here is awesome.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

John Scurlock
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 11, 2021 10:06 am 
John Scurlock wrote:
See above… nobody anticipated the need by some to to make Mebee any more romantic than it already is… maybe future plans should include a speaker system to play strangers in the night….
A mariachi band playing Marty Robbins' "El Paso" would be great. I'll locate the band, we can do up a calendar for visitors.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

John Scurlock
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostSat Sep 11, 2021 12:54 pm 
Appreciate your dedication to this L-5 treasure John, and thanks for the update.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey