Forum Index > Trail Talk > Chetwoot to Iron Cap Pass Route Ideas
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
noynek

noynek
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 1:46 pm 
First off, thank you for all of the great information you've posted on this amazing section of the mountains. Thanks to the info I've found here I've done two great loops from the Big Heart to the Necklace valley via Iron Cap lake and pass. This year I wanted to do something a little different and come in from Hardscrabble Lakes, hike to Gold Lake, then raft across Chetwoot, eventually passing Tank Lakes and exploring the Chain/La Bohn lakes/Hinman area, finally out via Williams Lake. For years I watched for Curtis Designs rafts for sale, but finally found the Kokopelli rafts and have had a blast in them this year. I know the Foss lakes are famous for great rafting, but I suspect our route doesn't really maximize the rafting potential. What I'm wondering about is if there are any options we should consider since we will have rafts. The route I've taken from Iron Cap Lake to the Pass involves climbing a few hundred feet from the lake, then traversing to the cairn-marked short narrow gulley. I don't love descending that little gulley, but it's worked out. With the rafts, I thought maybe there's a low route worth doing, but I've heard stories of terrible brush so that hasn't sounded great. Anyway, I figured I'd check for any recommendations. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 2:02 pm 
What Kokopelli rafts did you get? They seem a bit heavy. I was thinking of the same loop this year. Other than rafting Chetwoot I don't think rafts would save you much on the itinerary. If you wanted to enjoy the lower lakes I would do it as a separate loop from the Foss trailhead.

noynek

noynek
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 2:59 pm 
I got their Hornet Lite backpacking raft. With everything included it's about 5.5 lbs. It's definitely a tradeoff, but we were able to raft a fun route from Denny Lake through the Tuscohatchie lakes which would otherwise be unbearable. I also find I'm using them to explore local lowland lakes. https://kokopelli.com/collections/backpacking-collection/products/hornet-lite I heard Chetwoot is not fun to hike around which was my original motivation. I also figured we could raft lower Hardscrabble for a nice break from hiking. If Chetwoot isn't that bad of a hike, then it's probably worth leaving them behind.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 3:15 pm 
I've heard the north side of Chetwoot is a nightmarish steep traverse, but the south side looks quite doable from Matt's pic (click X to see his TR and topo). https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=827996#&pid=dd77ffd1652b377b2ab9a4560070ff7d Personally I'd bring a raft just because mine are so light and to enjoy the lakes while camped.

noynek

noynek
PostSat Aug 07, 2021 5:26 pm 
Thanks. Yea, that’s what I was figuring. They are fun to paddle around in. Funny, I met those guys on that trip. We were just passing each other at big heart. Had a terrible lightning storm. It went on for hours and we were in the exposed tarn above chetwoot, below iron cap lake. The next morning we met a ranger at tank lakes who was equally in shock from the wild night. Made us feel slightly better.

DadFly

DadFly
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 8:06 am 
noynek wrote:
For years I watched for Curtis Designs rafts for sale, but finally found the Kokopelli rafts and have had a blast in them this year. I know the Foss lakes are famous for great rafting, but I suspect our route doesn't really maximize the rafting potential.
Me too. I have a very old one that now leaks. raft and paddles together weigh 17 oz. It was a no brainer to throw it in if there was any possibility of being near a lake. I finally gave up the search and got a Klymit https://klymit.com/products/litewater-dinghy 44oz. Both the Curtis and the Klymit are a little small for me when I take a full pack onboard. But in calm water it works fine. I take a 50 gallon trash bag to put the pack in. Getting in and out without getting my but wet is an art form. Perfection is rarely achieved. I also have a couple 1-person coleman rafts that weigh about 5lbs each. For the 1 person rafts I take the blades off of the plastic oars and hold them like upside down ping pong paddles. And I have a 2 person Coleman that weighs about 7 lbs. The oar locks are actually usable on that one. When friends visit we can take them to Snow lake and float. Always a hit. There is nothing like floating on an alpine lake sipping wine and eating lunch with friends.

"May you live in interesting times"

zimmertr
noynek

noynek
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 10:03 am 
I agree that it’s a lot of fun just floating and exploring even familiar lakes. You get such a different view of things. The kokopelli feels solid with me and a full pack or a kid in it. It also moves pretty efficiently across the water. Getting in and out is easy. All of this comes at a trade off in weight and price. I bought both of mine used, but they’re still expensive.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 10:40 am 
DadFly wrote:
I have a very old one that now leaks.
You can send it to Brian Curtis for repair. Just did that for one of mine that got a gash after flying into a sharp rock. He slso repaired my swiss cheese raft a while back due to campfire embers and it was as good as new when I got it back.