Forum Index > Trail Talk > Death on Naches Peak Trail/PCT
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 7:55 pm 
We were heading back from an overnight trip to American Lake today. About a half mile from the Chinook Pass TH, we encountered a ranger who warned us that someone had passed away ahead and the recovery team hadn't made it up yet. We continued on, thinking the body was off to the side, but it was sadly right on the trail. His body was mostly covered with a tarp, but it was still a pretty awful experience. The recovery team was headed up just after we got back to the TH. Word on the trail was that it was cardiac arrest. RIP hiker frown.gif

awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mountainpines

Mountainpines
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 8:24 pm 
I was going to hike the Naches Peak yesterday or today but it’s too foggy, so I actually chose waterfalls hikes instead. Sad. R.I.P.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 9:23 pm 
It is never plesant coming across a deceased human out in the backcountry. It's even worse to witness a death out there. It's a reminder of our own mortality. RIP, hiker. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 10:26 pm 
Strange that the body was left unattended while the recovery crew was enroute. Very sad. If I could choose , I'd take dying of sudden cardiac arrest hiking on a flowery meadow trail over lingering for a week after a heart attack in the hospital and hospice as my father did (aged 91) or the death by a thousand paper cuts my mom endured from Parkinson's.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 8:20 am 
Oh, wow. I'm very sorry you encountered that, and sorry for the deceased as well. That must have been difficult for the ranger and whoever found and reported him.

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 8:28 am 
That person's spirit is flying. RIP

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 1:12 pm 
Randito wrote:
Strange that the body was left unattended while the recovery crew was enroute. Very sad. If I could choose , I'd take dying of sudden cardiac arrest hiking on a flowery meadow trail over lingering for a week after a heart attack in the hospital and hospice as my father did (aged 91) or the death by a thousand paper cuts my mom endured from Parkinson's.
One rarely gets to dictate the circumstances of their own death. If you had a heart attack/stroke while out on the trail, or anywhere for that matter, whould you take an aspirin to mitigate the damage and possibly save your life or would you hope for a quick end? The decisions we make in life always end up in cascading effects down the line. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."