Forum Index > Trip Reports > American Lake: Aug 7-8, 2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 8:59 pm 
Headed out on a foggy Saturday morning from the Chinook Pass TH. Made quick time to the PCT junction and dropped down to Dewey Lake. Like the trail above, the lake was shrouded in fog. A couple miles later, we came to Anderson Lake (also fogged in). Another 1.25 miles brought us to the PCT/American Lake trail junction. A quick half mile from there brought us to beautiful American Lake.
After setting up camp, my friends headed out for an additional 7 mile loop to the Cougars and the PCT. More mileage in the fog and rain didn't appeal to me, so I opted for a nap in my new tent. I had just started dozing off when some really strong winds whipped through the basin. Unbeknownst to me at the time, those strong gusts had blown my friends' tent out of its stakes and down to the lakeshore. Thankfully some trees had prevented it from going into the lake, so I was able to recover it and stake the heck out of it smile.gif The fog lightened up in the early evening, tempting me to take a side trip to Cougar Lakes. When the clouds returned, I decided to shelve that trip for another time. Just after dinner, the rain and winds picked up again. Perfect weather for testing out a new tent!
We had more pockets of sunshine in the morning, but fog prevailed for most of our journey home. Sadly, we had to pass a deceased hiker on the trail on our way out. Other than that awful experience, we had a great time. Will have to return for Cougar Lakes in the fall.

Slim, olderthanIusedtobe, Chief Joseph, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 08, 2021 10:24 pm 
Oh no, sorry you had to encounter the deceased hiker.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 5:58 am 
very nice