Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pilchuck, upper west ridge - 8/8/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 8:55 am 
Have not been able to hike much yet this season, but Amber and I got out yesterday for a short trip. She likes the lookout peaks and had not done Pilchuck yet. It was misting and drippy at the trailhead, but progressively drier the higher we went.
I asked her if she wanted to do the lesser-known upper west ridge route and she was game for that. We waited for over an hour at the lookout hoping for the clouds to clear, but no such luck. Thanks for a great day Amber!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 10:14 am 
I almost went up to Pilchuck the same day, but had to pick something closer. Looked pretty quiet up there, not too crowded?

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 5:32 pm 
I remember when following the yellow dots up that ridge was the standard route (probably late 80s). Does anyone know when the trail on the south side was built?

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 6:16 pm 
Yes, lookouting is one of many gratifying variations to our sport. That boulder hopping is fun, except when early season snow hides the gaps. Sorry you didn't get the views.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Aug 09, 2021 8:04 pm 
The south side trail is mentioned in one of Manning's books, I think Trips and Trails? I looked for it several times, and wandered back and forth where it should be, not finding any hint of a trail. Made it to the top on one of those expeditions. It's quite a bike ride up the Pilchuck river road to the abandoned roads heading up the south side of the mountain.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 12:48 am 
BTW, I was family camping at Verlot and decided I'd drive up to the Pilchuck trailhead just to have a look-see. I was driving a Forester and I am on the Middle Fork road to Dingford Creek often and hardly notice the potholes because you can navigate around most of them. But the road up to the Pilchuck trailhead was TERRIBLE! I gave up a mile past the Heather Lake trailhead because it wasn't worth it. There are so many potholes you just have to slow down and bounce through them. Also, I looked up Harvey's write up in the 1978 Footsore 3. He references the south side trail so I guess in those days I preferred the rocky route up the ridge. Harvey's writing for this route is a hoot -- he REALLY didn't like the ski area.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 6:59 am 
I seem to remember lost hikers heading down the south side trail long after it was abandoned.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn