Forum Index > Trail Talk > BC and Alberta info request - sites for Trip Reports, Wildfire info, and maps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 10:52 pm 
I know alltrails has trip reports and info on BC and Alberta hikes but wondered if there is anything more frequent and local similar to nwhikers and/or WTA is for this area? Inciweb and many of the other wildfire information sites do not present information North of the US border. What are the best sources for BC and Alberta? Any good sources for GPS maps for the area? The specific trails will include Iceline/Little Yoho Valley loop and Maligne Pass. Any recommendations from somebody who has been there?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 11:06 pm 
I used to live up there, most people get their info from Facebook groups. I am part of quite a few related to climbing, but I know there are a bunch for hiking.

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Aug 10, 2021 11:33 pm 
iron

iron
PostWed Aug 11, 2021 9:40 pm 
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Aug 11, 2021 10:13 pm 
Look here - https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/wildfire-situation It is, sometimes, not updated as frequently as you might like…. Look at ‘Wildfires of Note’. Or, drill down to the exact area by clicking onto the ‘fire centre’ in the area you want info about. BC’s Wildfire service is pretty de-centralized….each ‘Centre’ operates a little differently/independently. I dont know - but I’d think Alberta has similar?

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Aug 11, 2021 11:10 pm 
Thank you everybody for the replies. I think I have enough to go on now. Between alltrails and the other TR sources I found some relevant TRs. The wildfire status page is just what I am looking for (albeit scary). I found A Southwest Canada topo that should work and independent GPS tracks for the backpacking locations. Now if somebody could just schedule the rain to downpour now to slow down the fires and then taper off for a bit this might work. smile.gif This is a bit last minute with the on again/off again border situation so availability of campsites is driving a lot of the plan which looks like it will include Whistler, Wells Gray NP, Robson NP, Jasper, Maligne Pass, Little Yoho-Iceline Loop, and Banff.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 12:54 am 
The main trail up towards Robson is washed out and closed for the season. The large campground at Robson is an easy one to get in and out of. A good place after a long drive there, or before heading S on another long day’s drive home. Not much charm though. Jasper, both the town, and the park are my favorites of the Rockies. There’s even one of those handy bike tools on a cable in the park near the train station. Always a friendly sign.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 7:27 am 
Just passing through Robson, unfortunately. We saw the closure notice searching for backcountry site availability. Thanks for the warning and Jasper is one of my favorite towns too, although I have never have time to explore the park before. Just been there twice (1988 & 2004). I used to go to BC every year to go fishing with my dad but we never got North of Kamloops.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 5:10 pm 
Thanks again everybody for the input. This was my daughter's trip and the final itinerary was: Whistler Area (nice and clear) Wells Gray NP (smokey and rainy) Robson NP (closed due to fire) Jasper (overcast and rainy - just a day too late) Maligne Pass (overnight) Little Yoho-Iceline (beautiful but skipped multi-day loop due to weather) Banff (rainy again) Some of the driving days were very smoky but they didn't have to detour from their intended routes. Maligne Pass trail is unmaintained and I guess one creek crossing did not go as planned. They lucked out to make the trip at all with the border window. I had hoped to post some photos (especially those from Iceline trail) but they are sometimes hard to get. I would love to get up there again myself but it seems like the fires get worse every year.