Forum Index > Trail Talk > Serial arsonist starts numerous Northern California Wildfires - no bail
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 1:22 pm 
A very interesting story in Wildfiretoday: https://wildfiretoday.com/ (scroll down to August 11th). The Feds did a marvelous job of tracking him and finding probable cause for these arsons. Let him rot in jail.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 1:24 pm 
What if a brain tumor made him do it?

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 1:30 pm 
neek wrote:
CUT THAT TUMOR OUT AND PUT IT IN JAIL!!!! </BigBrunyon>

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)

neek
pula58

pula58
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 1:53 pm 
Hard to get ones head around it as to why someone would intentionally start forest fires. That's one degenerate individual. The penalty should be harsh.

jaysway

jaysway
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 2:13 pm 
Let's hope they throw the book at him and he spends the rest of his life in prison.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 2:15 pm 
Saw this. The part that really makes me cry for humanity is he did this with the aim of trapping firefighters between blazes. mad.gif

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 6:44 pm 
neek wrote:
You forgot to put the 😆 behind your comment. Or, if you were serious, I call it BS.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
neek

neek
PostThu Aug 12, 2021 8:41 pm 
moonspots wrote:
Or, if you were serious, I call it BS.
Serious. Only someone with a few wires crossed would do something so despicable. But thirst for vengeance is immature. The purpose of punishment is to deter future crime (by the convicted, or others), not to satisfy irrational emotional needs.

gb

gb
PostFri Aug 13, 2021 12:35 am 
neek wrote:
moonspots wrote:
Or, if you were serious, I call it BS.
Serious. Only someone with a few wires crossed would do something so despicable. But thirst for vengeance is immature. The purpose of punishment is to deter future crime (by the convicted, or others), not to satisfy irrational emotional needs.
Random speculation qualifies as trolling. The linked article did not deal with speculation, just a built case dependent on the dufus' movements with respect to numerous fire starts.

neek

neek
PostFri Aug 13, 2021 9:06 am 
gb wrote:
Random speculation qualifies as trolling. The linked article did not deal with speculation, just a built case dependent on the dufus' movements with respect to numerous fire starts.
It's a philosophical point (off topic, sure). Wishing suffering upon another human (rot in prison, life in prison, etc.), regardless of the crime, is outdated thinking, even somewhat barbaric. (Personally, I hope for criminals to be rehabilitated and to become productive members of society, although admit that's unlikely in this case.) While there are evolutionary reasons for emotions like anger, jealousy, revenge, etc., in the modern world it is usually no longer necessary to club your enemy over the head to enhance the survival potential of your kin. For sure this is a horrific crime, possibly attempted mass murder. Will be interesting to see how the case plays out.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Aug 13, 2021 10:22 am 
neek wrote:
I typed the following response before cancelling it as off-topic: "Remove the tumor, release him, and monitor. If he is really a victim of a mental disease that can be corrected there is no reason his actions under the influence should be punished. I expect he would punish himself enough anyway once he understands the impact of his actions." Admittedly, I have seen too many "House MD" episodes and believe this individual should remain incarcerated for as long as he represents a risk to society.

neek

neek
PostFri Aug 13, 2021 10:30 am 
Bowregard wrote:
I typed the following response before cancelling it as off-topic: "Remove the tumor, release him, and monitor. If he is really a victim of a mental disease that can be corrected there is no reason his actions under the influence should be punished. I expect he would punish himself enough anyway once he understands the impact of his actions." Admittedly, I have seen too many "House MD" episodes and believe this individual should remain incarcerated for as long as he represents a risk to society.
It's off topic for Trail Talk in the first place, so I figured fair game. I assumed people would get the reference to Charles Whitman and realize that perhaps we should not be so quick to judge. Maybe even ponder the societal implications of the brain being, yes extremely complex, but also just another physical object.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Aug 13, 2021 10:45 am 
Bowregard wrote:
for as long as he represents a risk to society
This is the part we tend to forget. The desire for revenge is the reason our criminal justice system is failing. We can't rationally enjoy our revenge if the person is mentally ill (which really all criminals are)...so release them as incarceration is all about revenge. Maybe if incarceration was really about safety things could play out differently. Crime and punishment and all that fun and games. How about we protect the innocent and let God handle the revenge part - as supposedly only He/She knows the true intentions of our souls...but as we see in so many other aspects - people don't really have faith that God will do what they want him/her to do, so they handle it themselves....and 10,000 years of "civilization" later here we are...how's it going? Isn't insanity described as doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results? Have we been able to beat the love of Jesus into people?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

neek
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 13, 2021 11:10 am 
neek wrote:
I assumed people would get the reference to Charles Whitman
Kinda an odd extrapolation to expect -- since Charles Whitman's rampage was halted by him being shot and killed by police. It's not like he ever had a trial and used anything like "I had a tumor" as a defense.

neek
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 13, 2021 1:47 pm 
Locking as drift is not germane to trail talk and encroaches politics.