Forum Index > Trip Reports > Del Campo Peak 08-12-2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mark Hadland
#thehad

Mark Hadland
#thehad
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 2:08 pm 
My climbing friend Daria wanted to get out and bag some peaks. Eldorado has been in the conversation. After a few days of assessing options and other climbing partners, we settled on Del Campo Peak just off Beckler Pass on the Mountain Loop Highway near the now ghost town, and former gold mining town of Monte Cristo. Fresh off a week in Hawaii of pure relaxation and a couple of weeks of entertaining guests, I was not in peak mountain fitness. But was excited to get back in the mountains and scramble one or more of the better scrambling peaks in Washington, set in Gothic Basin – an amazingly beautiful stone basin Fresh off a week in Hawaii of pure relaxation and a couple of weeks of entertaining guests, I was not in peak mountain fitness. But was excited to get back in the mountains and scramble one or more of the better scrambling peaks in Washington, set in Gothic Basin – an amazingly beautiful stone basin set within the Morning Star National Conservation Recreation Area North East of Everett. We set out of Seattle at 4 am, with the intention of an early start given the forecasted high temps, and planned to climb both Del Campo and Gothic Peaks.
Early morning light on the Mountain Loop Highway
Early morning light on the Mountain Loop Highway
We hit the trailhead at 6 am which follows the now abandoned road to the Monte Cristo Ghost town. You can read more about Monte Cristo and the history at the Ghost Towns of Washington’s website: http://www.ghosttownsofwashington.com/monte-cristo.html The trail follows the abandoned 4 miles road for about the first mile, then cuts into the forest and follows the South Fork of the Salk River along a well-maintained trail with boardwalks covering swampy areas and patches of Skunk Weed and Devil’s Glove.
Hazy sunrise
Hazy sunrise
The trail begins to steepen quickly, ascending the hillside, and gaining altitude up steep forested switchbacks, until about 3500 feet where it begins to carve its way into the rocky hillside, crossing numerous streams and waterfalls from the upper slopes of Del Campo and Gothic Basin.
As we ascended the trail towards Gothic Basin, the smoke become thick, casting a haze on everything in the distance. Peaks in the Monte Cristo were peering out however they seemed so distant with the haze, almost like old film photos from the 1970s. The trail became more alpine-like about 4000, and more fun to climb up rocks and roots although slightly more challenging.
Upon entering Gothic Basin the terrain drastically changes – there was little vegetation – most of the basin area is rock, the super-sticky kind of granite that is really fun to scramble on. There is a small lake once you enter the basin and we encountered several tents and campsites dotting the rocks. Small streams and rivulets from the series of lakes above carved many paths amongst the rock supporting patches of heather and lots of verdant mosses. We encountered many frogs in the area – something I see very little while climbing.
Cresting the saddle to Gothic Basin. I feel like an explorer entering a portal to another world.
Cresting the saddle to Gothic Basin. I feel like an explorer entering a portal to another world.
Upon entering Gothic Basin the terrain drastically changes – there was little vegetation – most of the basin area is rock, the super-sticky kind of granite that is really fun to scramble on. There is a small lake once you enter the basin and we encountered several tents and campsites dotting the rocks. Small streams and rivulets from the series of lakes above carved many paths amongst the rock supporting patches of heather and lots of verdant mosses. We encountered many frogs in the area – something I see very little while climbing.
Typical Gothic Basin Terrain
Typical Gothic Basin Terrain
The basin is a magical fairyland-like place – the terrain reminds me of the Core Zone in the Enchantments, and I think that this place would serve as a decent option for those wanting to experience a high alpine lake zone with an amazing basin to explore. One could spend days exploring the rock formations, lakes, and surrounding peaks.
Amazing scenery
Looking back towards the lower lake
Looking back towards the lower lake
We made our way from the lower basin up to Foggy Lake, for a much-needed rest, refuel, and plan for the summit.
Foggy Lake with Del Campo Peak in the background and reflection. The summit is a mere 1400 vertical feet away!
Foggy Lake with Del Campo Peak in the background and reflection. The summit is a mere 1400 vertical feet away!
Upon leaving Foggy Lake, we made our way up the ridge to the climbing route.
Making our way to the climb! Smoky Sloan Peak left of center rising like a Great White Shark fin!
Making our way to the climb! Smoky Sloan Peak left of center rising like a Great White Shark fin!
We ascent a steep talus field, cross a short section of snow and make our way to the steep staircase-like section of scrambling along a gully and steep dropoff to the right.
Making my way up to the climbers bootpath
Making my way up to the climbers bootpath
Starting up the talus to the scramble.
Minimal snow
Minimal snow
Looking up at the start of the scramble - stay left and avoid the gully on the right which will only cliff you out!
Looking up at the start of the scramble - stay left and avoid the gully on the right which will only cliff you out!
Scramble path - lots of good holds.
Scramble path - lots of good holds.
Scramble up
Scramble up
Starting the scramble
Starting the scramble
Final steps to the summit
Final steps to the summit
Summit
Summit
Daria and I made the summit and enjoyed the views. Although it was hazy and smoky, it was still amazingly beautiful and I always love a summit view! We reached the summit around noon and assessed our plan to traverse to Gothic Peak. I was knackered from the hike in the heat and humidity and was happy to hear that Daria may prefer a swim in Foggy Lake. As you can see from the photo above, the area is completely exposed to the sun and the temperature was hot – above 90! As tempting as it would have been to bag Gothic Peak in the same go, I was all too happy to declare victory, take a swim, have a proper dinner in Seattle with my mom who was puppy sitting my dog Topo, and save Gothic Peak for another day when the visibility is better and the temperature more agreeable. Plus this area is so beautiful, I don’t mind a repeat visit to explore it in more depth – Fall seeming to be a proper season to revisit the area.
Now as I said I was tired, and my climbing skills were a bit rusty. The climb down would prove to be interesting.
Downclimbing
Downclimbing
Descending
Descending
Descending
Descending
Off the scramble
Off the scramble
Descending to the lake to cool off.
Descending to the lake to cool off.
Future swim
Future swim
Gothic reflection
Gothic reflection
Post swim
Post swim
It was time to make our way down the mountain, out of the basin, and back to civilization. It’s amazing to think that one can be so remote and in such a beautiful wilderness just two short hours from Seattle. The hike down was picturesque. Although we had a swim fully clothed, our gear dried quickly. I stopped at nearly every running stream to dunk my head and splash water on my face to help with the sultry, stifling heat.
View of Gothic Basin departing Foggy Lake
View of Gothic Basin departing Foggy Lake
The hike out of the basin was beautiful. The five miles down the hill were painful and long as usual – when descending any peak, I am always amazed at how far I had ascended, as the path down always seems so long and I quickly forget much of the way up – Parting is such sweet sorrow – I look forward to a return visit in the Fall.

silence, RichP, ozzy, Dave Weyrick, Schroder, awilsondc  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSat Aug 14, 2021 2:26 pm 
Good choice, and now you have an excuse to go back. Eldo wouldn't have worked so well with the road closed.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostSun Aug 15, 2021 4:27 am 
Any "signs" of the backcountry toilet installed up there in the last couple years?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 19, 2021 12:25 pm 
Really nice trip report. up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Mark Hadland
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostFri Aug 20, 2021 8:02 am 
Nice TR! Gothic Basin is one of those places that is on my "infinite repeat" list. It's just so beautiful!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Mark Hadland
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 2:51 pm 
Great trip report!!

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Aug 27, 2021 2:56 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
Any "signs" of the backcountry toilet installed up there in the last couple years?
I saw another TR that said their is a sign for a toilet in Gothic Basin, but they couldn't find it. Another person said there were "stairs" down to it. It must have been a challenge to find a good spot for it. Wherever it is.

silence

silence
PostSat Aug 28, 2021 11:58 am 
Nicely done in spite of your setback in the islands cool.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan