Forum Index > Trail Talk > Distance and Elevation from Waptus to Escondido Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
chad2bad

chad2bad
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 7:41 am 
Does anyone have a rough idea? I'd also appreciate any information on distance and elevation from Waptus to Moonshine and Michael. Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 8:08 am 
chad2bad wrote:
Does anyone have a rough idea? I'd also appreciate any information on distance and elevation from Waptus to Moonshine and Michael. Thanks.
Waptus @ 3000' to Escandido @ 4600' Moonshine @ 5440'

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
neek

neek
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 8:14 am 
chad2bad wrote:
My favorite way of doing this: go to caltopo.com, zoom into the location, select "profile" from the menu that looks like a ruler, click start of trail, double click end of trail - done. Here's an example for your first question (so, 2000 ft and a little over 4 miles). Note that distance measurements are sometimes a tiny bit shorter than reality, since caltopo doesn't always know about all the little twists and turns in the trail.

Noheaperture, runup
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 8:42 am 
I reccomend allowing time in your schedule to dilly dally through the Escondido Tarns area as it is quite scenic. You can't camp in that area, but you don't want to rush through. When I did that section a few years ago, I hiked from the creek crossing just N of Catheral Rock to just North of the "no camping" zone on Escondido Ridge. That was a dry camp, so I had to pack water up from the Waptus River crossing.

chad2bad

chad2bad
PostWed Aug 18, 2021 9:50 am 
Thanks for the info and tips/ideas. This is very helpful - for example I didn't know about the tarns near Escondido and would definitely leave some extra time for exploring. And Neek - great tutorial on the mapping! Last time I was out that way I set up base camp at Waptus and then did day hikes to Spade/Venus and Ivanhoe/Dutch Miller Gap. So, I'm thinking about setting up base camp at Waptus again but looking for some different day hike options.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Aug 21, 2021 4:39 pm 
neek wrote:
My favorite way of doing this: go to caltopo.com, zoom into the location, select "profile" from the menu that looks like a ruler, click start of trail, double click end of trail - done.
Mine too! Of course, it depends on where you start measuring. If I measure from the middle of the opposite side of Waptus, where the Spade lake trail arrives at the lake, I get 4.7 miles and 2175 feet of elevation gain.

SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostSat Aug 21, 2021 6:47 pm 
Can someone provide info about the no camping zone? Edit: oh I see, Escondido Tarns is listed in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Regulations as one of 5 places where camping is not allowed within 200 feet of lakes.

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostSun Aug 22, 2021 10:36 am 
I hiked that area a couple of years ago. This may provide some info on access: Escondito to Summit Chief

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
rossb

rossb
PostSun Aug 22, 2021 12:17 pm 
It is worth noting that as far as I know, there is no trail connecting the tarns above Escondido Lake, and the lake itself. To get to the lake from Waptus, you go up Quick Creek (at the southern end of the lake) then over Waptus Pass, then follow a spur trail to the lake that branches off at around 4200 feet. To get to the tarns from Waptus Lake, you have two choices. You can follow that same trail, but branch sooner, and connect to the PCT, which will take you there. You can also walk around the lake (to the east) and pick up the PCT sooner. I recently base camped on Waptus, towards the north end of the lake. We walked up the PCT to the little tarns (or at least the beginnings of them). This was a long walk, but very scenic (and pleasant). I never explored the Quick Creek trail. I do recommend the PCT walk, even if you find that getting to the tarns is just too long of a walk. It kind of reminds me of the area after the Kendall Katwalk, in that once you get up there, you want to just keep hiking. But if you don't have your tent with you, a little voice reminds you that you have to walk back. In any event, you don't have to get that far to enjoy that part of the PCT. I also walked up to Spade Lake. The official trail is very steep, and not at all pleasant. In my opinion, it isn't worth doing unless you keep going to Venus, and then the pass above Venus. The trail braids to Venus, and I found it harder on the way back. The route to the pass above Venus (on the west side of the lake) is obvious. This makes for a rough day -- but at least worth it as the view at the pass is spectacular. The last day it was hot, and we made the mistake of hiking the PCT northbound. I ended up hiking to Deer Lake, which isn't an especially interesting lake. Along the way the trail is often not shaded, making it annoying in the heat. Unlike going southbound on the PCT, there aren't views until you get close to Deep Lake (which I didn't do). It is possible that it gets a lot better, just as I turned off. Even so, it doesn't have the immediate benefit that the PCT the other direction did. But it also depends on which side of the lake you are camped. It just didn't make sense for us to go back and around to Quick Creek. If you are camped at the southern end, it might. Likewise, picking up the southbound PCT from the north end of the lake was easy for us. Oh yeah, be prepared for confusing discussions, as the PCT goes the wrong direction when it is close to Waptus (northbound through-hikers are hiking south, and vice-versa). I kept pointing north and saying "I want to go southbound on the PCT" which was confusing, even though it was accurate.