Forum Index > Trail Talk > Goat Lake, Mountain Loop Hwy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 12:53 am 
Hello. I will be headed up to Goat Lake next week in search of the old buildings that used to be there. I was wondering if anyone has found any sign of the buildings or crossed over Elliot creek and checked things out on the other side. I have been up there before but did not search anything out, just to the lake shore and back. Thanks in advance.

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake

Jake
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 6:24 am 
Not much left of the old Penn Mining Company camp on the other side of the creek Jordan. There's some old building ruins, with none still standing and some old wagon parts scattered around. Going over there is more of a "been there" brag than interesting.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 6:59 am 
Thanks for the info. Anything left of the buildings on the trail side of the creek?

none
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 2:58 pm 
I meet a very elderly couple back around 95 who had been to Goat Lake in the early 50's. He said when they were there, the buildings were all still up. He said that the dinning hall looked as if it was set for lunch: Plates,cups etc all set out. That must have been eerie.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 4:50 pm 
There are no structures remaining on the trail side of the creek

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 4:51 pm 
Celticclimber wrote:
I meet a very elderly couple back around 95 who had been to Goat Lake in the early 50's. He said when they were there, the buildings were all still up. He said that the dinning hall looked as if it was set for lunch: Plates,cups etc all set out. That must have been eerie.
That would be pretty neat

none
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 11:26 pm 
Most things about the goat lake are boring!! No surprise. Not suprised!! I huck in there few years back. Early season!! Boring!!

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 3:28 pm 
Jake wrote:
Not much left of the old Penn Mining Company camp on the other side of the creek Jordan. There's some old building ruins, with none still standing and some old wagon parts scattered around. Going over there is more of a "been there" brag than interesting.
I was out there today but I guess I don't know where to cross the creek because I could not find it. I crossed right before the trail climbs and hiked the flat area all the way to the back. Do you know about where to cross the creek to find the ruins? Thanks

none
Jake

Jake
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 3:40 pm 
There was a trail that dropped off the Goat Lake trail to a big log that crossed the creek. I crossed on the log and headed down stream. However, I'd say if you can't find that trail or log, cross (wade) the creek, maybe 500 feet down stream from the falls and walk straight ahead and you should find the old road over there that lead from the camp at the lake down to the headquarters camp. Just follow that road down to the camp buildings. Keep in mind it has been years since I was there. Maybe someone else here has better directions. I do remember that after the two trails from the parking lot combine and enter the wooded area, soon you'll come to a steep part of the trail for a short distance. Once you get to the top of that small hill-side, the camp is across the creek and just a hundred feet or so up stream from there. If it were not for the trees, you'd see the place there from the trail. Good luck.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 6:16 pm 
Good info Jake, I have yet to set foot on this trail. I hope the window bashing isn't this year. Fill us in if you find it hockeygrin.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Jake

Jake
PostThu Jul 09, 2020 6:22 pm 
There was some car break-ins a few weeks ago, at Lake 22 and Dickerman trial heads. But nothing reported lately. However, the Index area has some scum balls active at Lake Serene and the Heybrook lookout trailhead lately and several along Reiter Road.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostFri Jul 10, 2020 1:52 pm 
Jake wrote:
There was a trail that dropped off the Goat Lake trail to a big log that crossed the creek. I crossed on the log and headed down stream. However, I'd say if you can't find that trail or log, cross (wade) the creek, maybe 500 feet down stream from the falls and walk straight ahead and you should find the old road over there that lead from the camp at the lake down to the headquarters camp. Just follow that road down to the camp buildings. Keep in mind it has been years since I was there. Maybe someone else here has better directions. I do remember that after the two trails from the parking lot combine and enter the wooded area, soon you'll come to a steep part of the trail for a short distance. Once you get to the top of that small hill-side, the camp is across the creek and just a hundred feet or so up stream from there. If it were not for the trees, you'd see the place there from the trail. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll remember those directions for next time. I was way off where I crossed.

none
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 10, 2020 3:54 pm 
I have a friend who would love to go see whatever is left. I'll have to try to have it happen. I didn't know there were any ruins there.

LIL_MAC

LIL_MAC
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 1:10 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I have a friend who would love to go see whatever is left. I'll have to try to have it happen. I didn't know there were any ruins there.
Did you go look? Did you find it? Looks like there is private land close to it or on the site.

Jake

Jake
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 1:21 pm 
Yes, it's the Lizzi mill-site. owned by: Brady Rossagle who has an address in Olympia.