Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Steel, ONP, 19 Aug 2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
meck

meck
PostSat Aug 21, 2021 1:05 pm 
I first saw Mt Steel up close back in July 2012 when I visited First Divide (still covered in a fair bit of snow). I had intended to climb it later in Sept 2014, but had decided against it due to time/heat and went for Mt Hopper instead (also a fun one). After spending the night at the Staircase CG (thanks to my wonderful wife) I finally got an early start (at least for me) to go visit this peak. The trail to First Divide is generally in good condition. There are some more significant blow down between Camp Pleasant and First Divide, but good work-arounds are in place (at least one is not stock-passable though). There are a couple of sections where the trail tread probably won't be around much longer (shortly after beginning the climb to the Divide after Nine-Stream camp). I made pretty good time to the Divide. As would be expected, a lot of backpackers were out, most camps along the way in had two-four tents. I went all the way to First Divide, just to have visited it again, then backtracked to the way trail that goes over to the Mt Steel basin. I had not appreciated the elevation I had to give up to get down into that basin. There is a really good elk path leading down into it.
tarn just below First Divide
tarn just below First Divide
at First Divide
at First Divide
Mt Steel from above the basin
Mt Steel from above the basin
upper rock field and meadow
7 labels
upper rock field and meadow
brushy slopes to maneuver through
4 labels
brushy slopes to maneuver through
lower brushy slopes, goat path visible
4 labels
lower brushy slopes, goat path visible
beginning of goat path
4 labels
beginning of goat path
Across the basin on the southern end there is a goat/boot path that cuts through the tree bands (and some cliff bands) to make the ascent more manageable. I followed that and was able to minimize the brush bashing. I crossed one gully where a long snow finger was still hanging on, and then proceeded up another gully to reach the upper rock field and meadow. The terrain feels really steep here since there is not a whole lot of horizontal edges to step on. I was wondering how difficult it would be for me to keep traction on the way down (ended up being better than I expected... though I'd hate to try it if the meadows and rock field had been wet...). I continued following the intermittent goat path up the meadow to the ridgeline, and then followed that to the summit (as mentioned in other trip reports by Gimpilator and awilsondc). There is a rock outcropping right near the flattish bivy spot. I climbed both the outcropping and the northern summit ~150' away; the GPS indicated that the northern one was a tad higher. I could not find any summit register on either summit. I was able to snap a few pictures before the clouds started obscuring the eastern peaks and north western peaks, ate lunch, then headed back down.
after climbing up the face, looking back down the rock field
4 labels
after climbing up the face, looking back down the rock field
the Brothers just before the clouds rolled in from the east and obscured them.
the Brothers just before the clouds rolled in from the east and obscured them.
steep meadow slopes
steep meadow slopes
looking up to the ridgeline over the last meadow section
looking up to the ridgeline over the last meadow section
flat bivy area (summit is the higher point ahead)
flat bivy area (summit is the higher point ahead)
Zoom in on the north end of Mount Duckabush
Zoom in on the north end of Mount Duckabush
White Mtn and Mt LaCrosse
4 labels
White Mtn and Mt LaCrosse
zoom in on Hart Lake (I think a tent is on that rock outcropping bivy site in the middle)
2 labels
zoom in on Hart Lake (I think a tent is on that rock outcropping bivy site in the middle)
There was water available to filter all along the route (including within 1000' of the summit off the snow melt) so I probably could have gotten away with carrying only 1.5 liters, but I had ~3L at any given time except for the final couple of miles. The miles back out seemed long, but went by quickly. I took a nice refreshing dunk in the Skok back at the Staircase CG before going to bed.
waterfalls on the way back down
waterfalls on the way back down
snowfinger that I crossed
snowfinger that I crossed
basin below Mt Steel
basin below Mt Steel
Mt Skokomish and Mt Henderson about to be covered by clouds on the way back out
Mt Skokomish and Mt Henderson about to be covered by clouds on the way back out
grouse - about the only wild life I saw the entire day.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*

neek, Gimpilator, JasonK806, RichP, rubywrangler, Hesman, kite, reststep, IanB  awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostSat Aug 21, 2021 1:45 pm 
Thanks for the report and pictures and thanks again for the labels. There is some good beta. I found that basin/meadow below Steel to be very marshy and not a good place to camp but it was in October. How was it when you were there?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
graywolf

graywolf
PostSat Aug 21, 2021 5:48 pm 
meck wrote:
2 labels
Definitely a tent. My wife and I were camped in that site on the 17th & 18th, and handed it over to a couple of guys who were going to use it for at least the 19th, and possibly the 20th. Awesome site by the way.

The only easy day was yesterday...
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostSat Aug 21, 2021 8:04 pm 
Nice job. That's a long hike! up.gif up.gif I've always wondered if that basin between North Pass and Steel is an old lake bed - it's so flat.

silence

silence
PostSun Aug 22, 2021 6:50 am 
Great report and pix. Have been up that way several times over the years and always wanted to spend some time to explore that basin and higher. I recall Fay being up there just a couple of years ago to put in a new register ... maybe the goats ate it smile.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
RodF

RodF
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 12:08 am 
Very nice, meck! Thanks for sharing your photos & detailed route, very much appreciated.
meck wrote:
I went all the way to First Divide, just to have visited it again, then backtracked to the way trail that goes over to the Mt Steel basin. I had not appreciated the elevation I had to give up to get down into that basin. There is a really good elk path leading down into it.
Yup, so good, some guess that way trail is the main trail! https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8034367

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
meck

meck
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 7:37 pm 
Thanks for giving this a read all! @ reststep: I wished I'd gone a bit further down into it to check out the basin's condition (to include the "ice block" and waterfalls), but didn't this time so I'm not sure how marshy it was. @ graywolf: I liked that spot too but couldn't get my tent staked in when I was there a few years back, I ended up camping in the little alcove in trees just south and below that rock block. @ RAW-dad: I wondered that too about the basin. It kind of reminds me of the meadow below upper Royal Basin, and flat basin in the milk creek drainage. BTW, which area is considered "North Pass"? @ silence: I remember seeing the TR with photo of the Fay P register, but could not locate it up there. If you get up that way again I definitely recommend spending some time exploring the basin and some of the waterfalls if nothing else. I think its almost 2k' up that slope, but the views are great even around 5k'. @RodF: yeah it looked like several more branches had been tossed over the way trail since the last time I went past in Aug 2016. In the fog I could see how the actual trail could have been mistaken for a creek bed as it is really rocky at that turn.

RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 8:49 am 
"North Pass" is where the O'Neil Expedition crossed the Skok-Duck divide about a half mile west of where the present trail crosses First Divide. I don't know this for certain (RL Wood's maps in "Men, Mules and Mountains" are too coarse), but it might be the low spot 500 ft east of point 4577T on the Mount Steel quad. Their route could also have passed through the little basin we are talking about, which would make North Pass south of point 4577T...

silence
Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 10:25 pm 
Love seeing a trip report for this peak. Great photos with excellent labels!
meck wrote:
I've seen less (hardly any) wild life this summer than any summer in the past eight years, I think. I've done three biggish trips in the Olys this summer and have only seen deer--which historically is very unusual.

meck

meck
PostFri Sep 03, 2021 2:16 pm 
Thanks RAW-dad, that makes sense. When I first visited 1st Divide in July 2012, there was so much snow up there I ended up way west of the trail and sign initially and had to wander over to the actual trail. I can see how it would be easy to end up somewhere else on that saddle. @Midnight Slogger: yeah, I was really surprised to not even see a deer the entire day! I've not seen any really large wildlife either this summer. I've noticed that I almost never see any wildlife around areas where groups of hikers/backpackers pass through regularly ("Hurricane Ridge Deer" excepted).