Forum Index > Pacific NW History > A CCC/CPS camp in Oregon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 11:41 am 
A recent internet search indicated that Oregon was 2nd only to California in the number of camps west of the Mississippi. I did a rough count and came up with 292+-. One camp close to me, called Camp Wickiup, was located about 40 miles south of Bend. It's main purpose was to help construct the Wickiup Dam and to clear timber from land that was to be submerged by the 11,200 acre reservoir. The water to be stored was for irrigating the area around Madras, 65 miles to the north. The record shows that it was established in 1938 as a temporary tent camp. In early '39 a permanent camp was constructed. The CCCs left the camp in mid 1942, and in late 1942 was re-designated as a Civilian Public Service camp. It was manned by Contentious Objectors, and remained as such thru the WWII. The COs worked on dam construction and land clearing as did the CCCs before them. Their duties also included fighting forest fires and road projects. Old pictures show the area to be heavily timbered in ponderosa and lodgepole pine, so the clearing had to be quite daunting. Camp Wickiup was closed in 1946 and razed in 1947. The dam was completed in 1949. The camp was located in what late became the lake. Due to our ongoing drought, the lake is now dry, which I heard is the first time since the dam was constructed. A friend and I plan to explore the area this coming week to see if we can pick up any evidence of the old camp. I'm not holding out much hope, but it gets me out of the house.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 4:25 pm 
All them contentious Quakers.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message