Forum Index > Trail Talk > montana missing female hiker found
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 4:11 pm 
Carbon County Sheriff's Office Tatum Morell The search for Tatum Morell has come to a tragic end. A group of hikers located the body of Morell, a 23-year-old hiker who went missing in early July, in Montana's Beartooth Mountains on Saturday, according to a statement from Red Lodge Fire Rescue. "Rescuers believe that Tatum was climbing Whitetail Peak when she was caught in a significant rock slide and suffered fatal injuries," the statement reads. Authorities went on to note that while the area where she was found "had been searched numerous times by rescue crews," her body was "extremely difficult to find" as she "was mostly buried under rocks." The hikers first noticed a piece of gear before spotting something amid the debris and contacting first responders, Carbon County Sheriff Josh McQuillan told the Billings-Gazette. "After almost two months of extensive search efforts, we are relieved that she is able to be returned to her family," Red Lodge Fire Rescue's Assistant Chief Jon Trapp said in a statement. "The effort volunteers put into finding Tatum surpassed anything I've seen in my 17 years with Search and Rescue operations." On Sunday, rescue personnel were able to retrieve and transport Morell's body to the Red Lodge Airport, according to the Carbon County Sheriff's Office. "We could not be more grateful and thankful to all of the personnel and agencies that worked together in this effort to hopefully bring some peace and closure to the Morell family, and could not have carried out this effort without all of their assistance," they wrote in a statement. ........ Whitetail Peak is in the Beartooth Mountains in the U.S. state of Montana. The peak is one of the tallest in the Beartooth Mountains, the fifth-tallest in Montana, and is located in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness of Custer National Forest

awilsondc
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Supervolcano

Supervolcano
PostMon Aug 23, 2021 6:31 pm 
Damn, glad this mystery is finally solved. Tough story. Undoubtedly a badass chick with some really bad luck. Better than passing in a car crash. Next peak I climb in the Beartooths will be in her honor. The title could mention Montana since most of the sh## here relates to WA.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Aug 25, 2021 3:56 pm 
Sad. I've been on Whitetail (via the moderate east slope) and this is haunting. I'm glad her family and friends have some closure now.

Off trail rambler