Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bare Mtn to Coney Lake 8/23-8/26 2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostSun Aug 29, 2021 3:52 pm 
Pat and Pete at Coney Lake
Pat and Pete at Coney Lake
I'd been wanting to visit Coney Lake for a while, and finally found myself with enough free time to get out there, so I made some hasty plans, threw a bunch of random gear in the car and took off up the North Fork road. Forgot to bring my belt, my warm hat and my gloves. Then I left my foam sleeping pad in the car by accident. So, I spent most of the trip trying to pull my pants back up while boulder hopping, talus dancing and wiggling through tightly woven trees. Nights were spent waiting for my inflatable "uberlight" pad to burst on the sharp rocks, but it survived the trip without any damage. On Bare Mtn., I became nauseous and was unable to hold down food for most of the rest of the trip. I may have inadvertently poisoned myself with a dirty water bottle.
Fungus Trumpets
Fungus Trumpets
Bare Mtn.(Photo by Pat M)
Bare Mtn.(Photo by Pat M)
Camp on Bare
Camp on Bare
The trail up Bare Mtn. is completely brushed out and easy to follow. I camped on top under a nearly full moon, with owls hooting all around me. In the morning, as I was making coffee, Patrick showed up, followed by Pete. Pat and Pete are a couple of 70 year old guys who have been hiking and climbing together for decades. Pete also turns out to be Pete Doorish, a legendary big wall climber with dozens of first ascents in the Cascades and elsewhere. We talked a while and then they took off for Lennox, all figuring we'd probably see each other somewhere up the trail. As it turned out, I spent most of the next three days walking and talking with these two new crazy-amazing climber/philosopher friends.
Breakfast on Bare (Photo by Pat M)
Breakfast on Bare (Photo by Pat M)
I thrashed myself pretty good getting onto the ridge east of Bare. The vegetation was a nearly solid wall in places. Ended up on the wrong side of the ridge; flailed, climbed, suffered, shouted and cursed my way back to the nose of the ridge. Once there, new vistas appeared, and steep, wet, mossy talus, heather and grass led down to the great river of talus that heads off toward Lennox.
Talus (Photo by Pat M)
Talus (Photo by Pat M)
Pat with Phelps in background (Photo by Pete D)
Pat with Phelps in background (Photo by Pete D)
Looking back toward Bare (Photo by Pat M)
Looking back toward Bare (Photo by Pat M)
Same picture with more talus (Photo by Pat M)
Same picture with more talus (Photo by Pat M)
Paradise Lakes
Paradise Lakes
Paradise Islands
Paradise Islands
I ran into Pat and Pete again somewhere in the river of rocks and we set off toward Canoe together.
Heading toward Canoe (Photo by Pat M)
Heading toward Canoe (Photo by Pat M)
We worked our way over to the little pass above Bear Lakes and then turned North to climb over Canoe's West ridge.
Bear Lakes (Photo by Pat M)
Bear Lakes (Photo by Pat M)
Starting up Canoe
Starting up Canoe
Steep, easy heather slopes lead right up to the ridge-top on the West end of Canoe. Then a short, descending ledge dropped us down; back into the river of rocks on Canoe's North side. Patrick and Pete set off across the talus, but I was tired of boulder hopping so I went the long way around, traveling the thin strip of heather and grass at the lower edge of the talus apron.
Slabby mossy heather ramps at talus margins
Slabby mossy heather ramps at talus margins
Grassy Ramps are My Friends
Grassy Ramps are My Friends
I caught up with Pat and Pete again lounging around at a nice water source on a slabby bench half way across the North side of Canoe.
Pizza Boxes
Pizza Boxes
Pizza Boxes Everywhere
Pizza Boxes Everywhere
Summit Blocks in Meadow
Summit Blocks in Meadow
Streamliner
Streamliner
Pat on the slabby bench (Photo by Pete D)
Pat on the slabby bench (Photo by Pete D)
Lennox (Photo by Pat M)
Lennox (Photo by Pat M)
We discussed route options and then Pete went and climbed up Canoe to scope out a possible Eastern approach to Bear Lakes. I headed over a little closer to Lennox and camped in a meadow.
Camp2
Camp2
The next day I ran into Pat and Pete again, on the long south ridge of Lennox. They decided to skip the summit and come check out the lake with me!
Hell bent for Coney Lake (Photo by Pete D)
Hell bent for Coney Lake (Photo by Pete D)
Coney Pano
Coney Pano
We knew the rain was coming, but didn't know exactly when or how much. So, after less than an hour at Coney Lake, we started back for Canoe. I basically collapsed on the slabs, unable to continue any further. My legs were burning from the exertion. I hadn't really eaten anything in a couple of days. Pat and Pete wanted to continue on to Bear Lakes and tried to persuade me, but I was just too whipped. They did me a colossal favor by sticking around and walking out with me the next day. I was really starting to feel like a "bundle of firewood", but I also felt incredibly lucky to be in such amazingly good company. The rain hit before dawn. It wasn't much- just enough to make everything soaking wet. It continued sporadically as we made our way down to Bear Lakes. Steep, wet heather, bushes and rocks finally got us down to the lake shore, and then we set about trying to find the trail in the rain and fog.
Bear Lakes in the rain (Photo by Pete D)
Bear Lakes in the rain (Photo by Pete D)
Good luck with that. We were essentially off trail from Bear Lakes until we reached the first switchback leg of the Bare Mtn. trail where it branches off from the mine trail. It was a total hell road of steep forest, thick bushes and slippery rocks all the way down. At one point, in the steep, slippery forest, Pete whipped out a big coil of half-inch, twisted, nylon ski rope and lowered both Pat and me down a 20 foot cliff.
Pat and Me at the mine (Photo by Pete D)
Pat and Me at the mine (Photo by Pete D)
Big Wheel
Big Wheel
Mine Opening
Mine Opening
Donkey Engine
Donkey Engine
Cables
Cables
So we found the mine but we still didn't find the trail!
Curse words, probably
Curse words, probably
Pondering the Universe
Pondering the Universe
Back on the trail
Back on the trail
I'm back home safe and alive now. My guts have recovered and the pain in my legs is decreasing.

Downhill, day_hike_mike, GaliWalker, Pef, Tom, zimmertr, Dave Weyrick, jaysway, rubywrangler, neek, awilsondc, Slim  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 29, 2021 5:31 pm 
Love that place. Great report guys. Nice work.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSun Aug 29, 2021 6:43 pm 
Thanks for the report. Brings back memory's. Bear Basin has a lot of history to explore, and Coney lake is a solid, if a bit hard to get to favorite.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Aug 29, 2021 7:16 pm 
Man, what a trip! You were soooo lucky to have run into those two. What great company! The power of the team. Loved those shots of Coney Lakes. I've been up there when they were frozen. So much prettier in the summer season. ~z

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 7:07 am 
Nice report that will get some more people up there

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 7:21 am 
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 9:01 am 
Hmmmmmm, quite an adventure. up.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 10:30 am 
timberghost wrote:
Nice report that will get some more people up there
If youve been up there I doubt youd say that. It isnt a walk in the park. 50& of that hike is off trail! I doubt this report would bring anyone not already inclined to go there.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Obi Tony Kenobi, mosey
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 3:09 pm 
What a treat to meet Pete Doorish (and Patrick). He's a legend in my book, having pioneered several routes on Mount Garfield. I'm not sure if these have ever been repeated. After 3 trips in 1990-1991 he wrote in the register "I think that's enough of Garfield for now". BTW, the dates in the CAG about these climbs are a little off -- I trust the register and think Becky probably mixed up the dates in the process of collecting the information.
Garfield register (photo by Franklin Bradshaw)
Garfield register (photo by Franklin Bradshaw)

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

Bluebird, Kascadia
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Aug 30, 2021 6:10 pm 
Just been up there 4 times myself. It's a nice hike

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 9:19 am 
timberghost wrote:
Just been up there 4 times myself. It's a nice hike
With that experience you still think this report will bring people in who wouldn't naturally go there? Its either up Lennonx from the end of the North Fork road. Bare Mountain or up from the West Fork of the Miller. None of those are something the average hiker will bother with IMO.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 10:29 am 
timberghost, how many times have you read the TR comment policy?

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 3:54 pm 
rant.gif

contour5

contour5
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 4:04 pm 
Please extrapolate, Sky Hiker. What exactly do you mean to say?

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Aug 31, 2021 5:30 pm 
What I mean to say is this is a thread drift from the original post. Clear enough?