Forum Index > Trail Talk > Tank lake to La Bohn peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 12:19 am 
Is it possible to go from Tank Lake to La Bohn peak without dropping back down into Necklace Valley? I would like to try this if there is a decent route. From La Bohn i would descend via the normal route back to the trailhead. Anyone got a track saved for this option?

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 6:50 am 
See the end of this album - https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/albums/72157684031875024/ I found the slope shading on CalTopo pretty helpful. There were some cairns too, so it must be a pretty commonly traveled route. Mostly it is easy terrain, except for a few boulder slide areas.

mtn.climber
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 8:19 am 
My day-climb ascent of La Bohn also involved climbing Otter Point. Our approach was up Necklace Valley to La Bohn. Then we descended La Bohn down to Tank Lakes. This is from my personal notes: “We dropped [from La Bohn summit] south on steep cedar slopes with cliff areas to traverse over to the saddle just east of Pt 6263. This is the only way to get to Tank Lakes safely. I reconned the area extensively. The saddle at 6000’ offers a low angled loose rock/soil descent down to Tank Lakes. This area has camping sites with incredible beauty.” No GPS. We went down the route that you would be going up.

mtn.climber, Randy
contour5

contour5
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 2:20 pm 
The South side of La Bohn is a meadowy wonderland of open slabs and easy ledges. The bumps on the ridge West of the peak are also a cool, trippy area. The North side of the peak is wicked steep and scary. If you come up through the Tanks, just continue straight through to the ridge and take a hard left. It's like a 200 lane freeway of slabs and tarns that gently meanders down to Williams Lake. Half a mile down there's a big tarn in a drainage that leads up to the ridge just West of La Bohn Peak. Massive views all the way.
The Big Bench
The Big Bench
Take another Left at the tarn in the center of this photo...
Take another Left at the tarn in the center of this photo...

mtn.climber
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 10:45 pm 
La bohn known for confusing directions! Disputes over locations, groups gettin' lost. Notoriously hard to navigate in la bohn for reasons unexplained.