Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympic National Park | The Grand Loop in 4K | 8/23-8/25/2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadia1000
cascadia

cascadia1000
cascadia
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 4:51 pm 
This was a 42 mile, 3-day backpack of the Grand Loop in Olympic National Park. Video of trip:
Map of route: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/map-aug-17-03-46-am-98d8a23?u=i This route is listed in the book, "Trekking Washington" by Mike Woodmansee. I've also listed the Alltrails route including waypoints for my two camps. I was able to get a backpacking permit a week before the trip. I didn't book the permit online instead I called the Wilderness Information Center. Day 1: Obstruction Point to Lost Pass. 12.5 miles with 4530 ft elevation gain. I took the first Bainbridge Ferry from Seattle at 5:30 AM. I was hiking by 10AM from the start at Obstruction Point. I went along the scenic Lillian Ridge and passed Grand and Moose Lake. I saw more people on this section up to Moose Lake than any other section of the route. I then crossed over Grand Pass and Cameron Pass and made my way to Lost Pass. The initial descents over these passes are steep so take your time. The ascent to Cameron Pass is steep and was about the least enjoyable part of the whole trip. The Grand Valley and Cameron Valleys were however very beautiful. I saw just one party of two in between Grand Pass and Lost Pass. I got to Lost Pass just before 6PM where I set up camp. While there was very little wind, I awoke to a frost covered tent. Day 2: Lost Pass to Three Forks Camp. 17 miles with 2900 ft elevation gain I dropped down from Lost Pass to the Dosewallips River Trail. The descent from Lost Pass was steep but once I got onto the Dosewallips it was a nice forest walk. I then took the Gray Wolf Pass Trail and made the ascent to Gray Wolf Pass. The views up near Gray Wolf Pass were great and the descent after the pass was maybe my favorite part of the trip. There was a nice waterfall, lake and valley. Then it was a long descent to Three Forks along the Gray Wolf River Trail. I met some wonderful people in camp that made the time there all the more enjoyable. Day 3: Three Forks Camp to Obstruction Point. 12 miles 5230 ft elevation gain I got an early start for the climb up to Deer Park. From there I took the Obstruction Point Trail back to the start. I've done this section before and the views were spectacular. Misc: There was no snow at all to cross. Bugs weren't out at all. I think the recent cold nights got rid of them. Days 1 and 2 had plenty of water. Day 3 is very limited. I heard there was a water source at Deer Park but I didn't really need it as I filled my bottles at Three Forks which lasted me to the finish.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcjru55cGeIlla0jIsw629Q

MojaveGeek, silence, Olympic Hiker, Hesman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostSat Sep 04, 2021 8:58 pm 
One of the best loops in the Olympics. I have done the Cameron Creek, Dosewallips, Greywolf variation a couple of times; starting and ending at Deer Park. edit: what kind of camera did you use for filming?

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
MojaveGeek

MojaveGeek
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 12:49 pm 
Nice vid, thanks!

cascadia1000
cascadia

cascadia1000
cascadia
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 4:31 pm 
I use a Sony A7C full frame mirrorless camera with a Sony 20mm G lens. For audio, I use an external Rode Video Micro microphone instead of the internal camera mic.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 pm 
I enjoy your videos for vicarious hiking, particularly this one over familiar terrain. cool.gif Love the curious fawn.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
cascadia1000
cascadia

cascadia1000
cascadia
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 6:10 pm 
Thanks, that fawn was the star of this one. I think it knew it was on camera smile.gif

sylvan

sylvan
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 7:38 pm 
Fantastic video. Thank you. Looking to do that next summer with my boys. Quick question, which map would work for this? https://www.metskers.com/238548/products/Olympic-National-Park-Hiking-Maps----Custom-Correct----Choose-from-the-List.html It looks like the Gray Wolf/Dosewallips covers the whole trek but wanted to make sure. Also, Any issues with water? How did you handle your food as far as bear proofing? Any rain? Looks dry in your videos Thanks!

cascadia1000
cascadia

cascadia1000
cascadia
PostSun Sep 05, 2021 8:04 pm 
I can't quite tell you which map from the link. I can tell you that No 135 and 136 Green Trails maps cover the entire route as these were the ones I used. BTW, nearly all the route is on No 135. As far as water, there is plenty of water up to the Three Forks Camp (I'm assuming CCW loop direction). The section from Three Forks to Deer Park has no water, so you'll want to fill up at Three Forks before making the ascent to Deer Park. There is a spring at the Deer Park Ranger Station. I can't recall a water source from Deer Park to Obstruction Pt. It was pretty cool out so I wasn't going through water as quickly. I used my own Bear Can for food protection. Fortunately, I didn't encounter any rain. Have a great time. I'm sure you and your boys will enjoy it.