Forum Index > The Trading Post > Pack raft wanted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 4:30 am 
Ditto. Many folks haul their packs in their Curtis rafts.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 7:02 pm 
Tom wrote:
Not sure what gave you that impression? Do it all the time in my curtis raft.
I stand corrected. I'm a little uneasy about hauling my pack in my raft, dang guitar and all. If my pack goes down, well there goes a big chunk of money, much less a shelter for the night. The Curtis rafts I observed are smaller on the side boards, thus the lighter weight also, advantage. I avoid hauling my pack in the raft, I feel vulnerable, but sure nice to get around in. Be safe wink.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 09, 2021 7:32 pm 
I think it is more about skill getting in and out of the raft than what it can carry. Pretty sure the weight limit of the Curtis is at least 300 lb so even a 50 lb pack wouldn't be a problem unless you are a really heavy individual. Just keep sharp objects away from the bladder.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 9:29 pm 
I have hauled a pretty big pack in my Curtis raft across Lake Dorothy in a decent wind, it was a bit scary, but not terrible. Yesterday at a high mountain lake I paddled around in my friends Alpaca raft (just like yours Wade) and I definitely liked the larger sides and more durable fabric than the Curtis, but then you pay for that in more weight. I don't think I will be hauling a heavy pack in a raft much anyway, so I like the weight savings.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
wade63
guitarman

wade63
guitarman
PostSat Sep 11, 2021 7:36 pm 
Like much of our gear, we use different gear dependent on the circumstances. There's a topic on it's own. I'm still trying to find the right lightweight shelter for various PNW weather and my needs. I now have moved into the Tarp world. Much like my chasing tones with guitar gear. You know my motto... I pack ultra light so I can bring luxury items. lol.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Sep 11, 2021 9:27 pm 
I actually camped 3 nights with just a tarp last week. I liked it pretty well but still like the comfort and security of a tent. I haven’t tried the hammock yet, maybe next trip. Might be a bit of a pain to get in and out of the 4 times during the night when nature call, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.