Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stairway to Heaven to be scrapped
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thuja

thuja
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 5:19 pm 
Interesting piece in the NYT today about an unofficial trail of stairs leading up a steep ridge/mountain near Honolulu. Apparently it is officially closed but people trespass to do it on a regular basis. Sounds like some similar issues of impacts on the neighbors such as at Sauers Mtn or the trail near Wenatchee, although those are not officially closed like the Haiku stairs. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/21/us/haiku-stairs-hawaii.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 6:15 pm 
I climbed these in like 2003 or so. We had to climb a fence and sneak to the entrance, but we made it. Lots of fun, but very poor visibility at the top. I have a video of the hike, but haven't uploaded to Youtube because I never wanted to encourage anyone to try it - not knowing if it is safe or not. When we climbed the stairs, it was still safe.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 8:48 pm 
Call some place paradise...

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 9:29 pm 
This is the one where it drops off into the clouds thousands of feet RIGHT on the ride of the stairs!! The stairs emerge from the clouds below!!! You always see these instagrams. Usually models hiking it. You always see these pics going by on instagram!! Very hard to believe scenery in this locale. It almost doesn't even look real on these instagrams!!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Sep 21, 2021 11:13 pm 
Yea, there's this one chick named Rosanna....seems all she does is hike and typically dressed in yoga pants, sports bra, fancy colors, and sometimes Cabellas Camo.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Sep 22, 2021 9:21 am 
I spent a month on Oahu for work in February 2020, right before the pandemic struck the USA. Oh how I miss that time. I might be incorrect, but I remember reading that the closure was heavily enforced nowadays because several people have gotten seriously hurt after climbing over the railing to let someone by and sliding away on the steep grassy slope. I think the stairs are pretty narrow. There's no doubt why people trespass into areas like this. You might expect that the beautiful islands of Hawaii have a ton of great hiking but between Maui and Oahu I've thought the opposite. There's a TON of private property in Hawaii. Like Texas-levels of privatization. So there's little public development for trails and what trails do exist are completely swamped by tourists. It seems that the locals mostly ignore all the Kapu signs and make their own trails though if I'm being honest. Despite that, Oahu has some fun scrambling if you know where to look. And huge expanses of wilderness. Just check your holds because the volcanic rock is very rotten. Oh, and watch out for sudden rain when you're standing on a sketchy ridge after several very exposed class 3 moves.
PS I didn't end up tagging the summit despite getting so close frown.gif

OwenT

OwenT
PostMon Sep 27, 2021 9:22 am 
My friend did this one recently. His group got caught and there was a fine of like $1000 or something. He said it was worth it lol.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Sep 27, 2021 11:30 am 
Steep, exposed grass slopes get my attention fast and there have been times I've considered putting on crampons to get across them. Just seems like moisture lurks at the base of tall grass, waiting to lubricate your slide. There is a key move on the route known as the Norris Traverse in Glacier NP, a hidden moderate chute route through the cliff bands at Almost-a-dog Pass. Ascending the chute is reasonable. As you emerge at the top you realize you are on a steep meadow with a serious cliff nearby. I move away quickly.

Off trail rambler

Chief Joseph