Forum Index > Trip Reports > Crystal Lake (Glacier Peak Wilderness): 09/19/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 11:26 pm 
When I visited Circle Peak last month, I noticed that the cutoff trail to Crystal Lake appeared to be in good shape. Today was the perfect rainy day to check it out. First things first: there is a now small boulder in the road just before the trailhead proper. We were able to squeeze by, but were very close to the road's edge. There's room for a vehicle or two to park on the side of the road just before the boulder if needed.
A couple of new signs have been been constructed - one at the trailhead, and one at the junction after the initial steep uphill hoof.
From there, the trail headed uphill toward a few switchbacks, after which it was a gentle grade the whole way to the lake.
There was one spot that required careful foot placement, however.
There was quite the variety of fungi along the trail. A sampling:
After a couple miles of pleasant forest rambling, we arrived at the lake. A brand new loo was installed here a few weeks ago.
We followed a bootpath around the lake to the south shore. Some blowdown got in the way, but we easily bypassed via the brush.
The rain stopped just in time for a lunch break, but there was still a fall chill in the air.
waving farewell to summer
waving farewell to summer
After half an hour, the rain returned, so we packed up and headed back. The forest provided excellent cover from the rain. As we neared the switchbacks down to the road, I noticed an old trail heading west from the saddle. Not sure where this went - perhaps the pond at 4400'?
Back to the car just as an intense squall rolled in. We didn't see a soul all day, but moody weather accompanied us the entire drive home. up.gif

rubywrangler, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 12:19 am 
Nice 'Shrooms! I like the new Loo as well, seems they are popping up everywhere. There was a nice steel one at Fireweed camp and another newer one at Dagger lake. I went up to Crystal lake a few years back, a good place for solitude. So to get to Circle peak I assume you go forward on the trail (meadow mountain?) instead of taking the left (north) to Crystal lake? And if so, has the trail been cleared of the large blow downs? I was there last summer and they hadn't been cleared.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 1:00 am 
I'm not too familiar with the old meadow mountain route. I came in from FS 2703.

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 8:47 am 
I like your doggo's orange vest. Great idea during hunting season.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 9:05 am 
Probably the old trail you noticed was the original Skar Pass trail that is eventually going to be used for the new Bull Bear trail (nickname of former trail boss Bayard Tucker) to get to Circle Peak and Crystal Lake from Rat Trap Pass. It's been flagged, but haven't heard anything about it for a few years. The plan was to close 2703 and build Bull Bear. But with the road at Rat Trap seeming to be washed out time and again, and 2703 so far being maintained by volunteers, perhaps that plan is put on hold. Not sure.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

fourteen410