Forum Index > Trip Reports > Illabot Peaks ~ 9/7/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 3:32 pm 
I got PeeWee out this week for Illabot. I had him convinced for the long drive out to the Entiat for some T200s but we changed the plan to something closer to home on Monday night. He picked me up at 6 on Tuesday morning and we rolled out East without a plan in mind. We decided to go for Illabot so we could get home to our ladies early and get another P2K. The Grade Creek Road was in awesome shape and the unofficial trail to Lake Tupso and beyond was very pleasant. Beyond that, the route to Illabot’s summit gets a little scrubby.
Illabot
Illabot
Lake Tupso
Lake Tupso
Illabot with Baker and Shuksan
Illabot with Baker and Shuksan
We opted to stay on the ridge proper above Lake Louise, but we’re eventually forced off after some fun and exposed knife edge scrambling. We dropped some unpleasantly steep heathery terrain to 5000 ft before schwacking our way up toward the summit area. I was surprised at how rugged it was out there and by the lack of any climbers trail.
PeeWee scrambling along the schwacky ridge
PeeWee scrambling along the schwacky ridge
working towards the summit
working towards the summit
We schwacked our way up to within a couple hundred feet of the summit, then found one exposed class 4 move over a snag that lead to a steep gully choked with small evergreens. More schwacking and veggie belays brought us to just below the summit. Views were good!
Illabot scramble
Illabot scramble
steep
steep
PeeWee got a peak
PeeWee got a peak
After watching smoke smoldering out of the Cascade River Valley for 45 minutes or so, we reversed our route, but stayed below the ridge crest to avoid the difficulties from the way we came in. We hung out at Lake Tupso for an extended safety check on the way out and made it back to the car around 2pm. Nice little trip! ~8 miles ~3500 ft of gain

contour5, bubblehead, ONELUV1, mtn.climber, Gimpilator, Tom, RichP, neek
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostFri Sep 10, 2021 7:47 pm 
Anytime you can get peewee out is a good day Nice trip guys

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message