Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wallaby
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Zloi

Zloi
PostMon Sep 13, 2021 4:06 pm 
Climbed Wallaby Peak on Sat. This is somebody’s name for a high point (7995') on Kangaroo Ridge accessible from Kangaroo Pass off the N.Cascades Hwy. In dry, snowfree conditions the route amounts to a hike, albeit one on which you’d be advised to wear sturdy boots with scree collars. It starts from the hairpin turn just east of Washington Pass. The parking area there featured mainly climbers heading for various technical routes in the vicinity. There is a trail up to Kangaroo Pass, but oddly, it seems not to start until you have already threaded your way some distance through brush and rock fields. Once at the pass you simply follow the left-hand ridge line to the highest point. Determining where that is as you ascend is not overly obvious though. I initially headed for a large rocky point on the right. The upper part of the ridge consists of steepish slopes of scree of various size rocks. Large stretches will lie in wait, happy to slide away as soon as you put weight on them, following which the air fills with vociferous imprecations. At length I discovered I was heading for not the highest point so had to amend my direction and traverse across these treacherous slopes. The actual summit is a bit underwhelming but the views, at least, make up for the lack of aesthetic gratification. There is a standard PVC tube housing the summit register, but water at some point must’ve seeped into it because inside are dozens of half-disintegrated page fragments with blurred, faded ink. Some good-hearted soul might consider bringing a new register and a hermetically sealing plastic bag to keep out moisture. If there is such a person, that is. In any case on a clear day you should have some terrific N. Cascade views without enduring the full measure of self-sacrifice that such views usually demand. Next two high points on Kangaroo Ridge with Silver Star Mt in the background.
Looking SW, Glacier Peak faintly in the distance
Westerly view. Guessing that the big glaciated face is Mt Logan. Clouds were boiling over in some areas, a harbinger of the steady rain that hit as I later drove back west.
Kangaroo Temple from Kangaroo Pass
Smoke from the Cedar Creek drainage
View NW with Hwy 20 hairpin visible and Liberty Bell complex above it

Dave Weyrick, ozzy, awilsondc, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostTue Sep 14, 2021 11:12 pm 
Really nice shot
Really nice shot

Zloi
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message