Forum Index > Trail Talk > Missing Hiker in ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 5:36 pm 
"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 6:41 pm 
Friday September 17, 2021 18:21 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Search underway for overdue backpacker A search is currently underway for a backpacker reported overdue in Olympic National Park. Jerren Fisher is a 26-year-old male and is 5’11” tall, 200 pounds, with light brown hair in a ponytail and a thick red beard. Fisher is known to hike in tie dye t-shirts and bright colors. His last known location is the Graves Creek Trailhead in the Quinault Rain Forest. Fisher had a wilderness permit for September 8-12 and was planning on camping at Enchanted Valley, Marmot Lake, Camp Pleasant, and Sundown Lake. He was reported overdue to park dispatch on September 16 by a family member. Park rangers located Fisher’s vehicle at the Graves Creek Trailhead. If you were in the area of Enchanted Valley, North Fork Skokomish Trail, or Six Ridge between 9/8-9/16, or have any information regarding this individual, please call or text the tip line at 888-653-0009. Information from other day hikers and backpackers is often extremely valuable during searches. CALL or TEXT the ISB Tip Line 888-653-0009 ONLINE form www.nps.gov/ISB > Submit a Tip EMAIL nps_isb@nps.gov EMERGENCY dial 9-1-1 --NPS--
Jerren Fisher ONP 09/17/21
Jerren Fisher ONP 09/17/21

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

RumiDude
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 7:58 pm 
I am pretty sure I have met Jarren more than once while out hiking, though I could be mistaken. This is a real gut punch, regardless. Hoping for a good outcome. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
gb

gb
PostFri Sep 17, 2021 8:16 pm 
Oh that is a shame, he looks like the kind of person that belongs out in the wild. Just hopefully he can be found alive and Ok.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 18, 2021 6:35 pm 
Saturday September 18, 2021 16:47 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Search continues for overdue backpacker A search is underway for an overdue backpacker in Olympic National Park. Jerren Fisher is a 26-year-old male and is 5’11” tall, 200 pounds, with light brown hair in a ponytail and a thick red beard. Fisher is known to hike in tie dye t-shirts and bright colors. His last known location is the Graves Creek Trailhead in the Quinault Rain Forest. Fisher had a wilderness permit for September 8-12 and was planning on camping at Enchanted Valley, Marmot Lake, Camp Pleasant, and Sundown Lake before returning to his vehicle via Graves Creek Trailhead. Fisher was reported overdue to park dispatch on Thursday, September 16 by a family member. Park rangers then located Fisher’s vehicle at the Graves Creek Trailhead and initiated a hasty search. Search and rescue personnel hiked into the wilderness that afternoon from the Graves Creek Trailhead towards Sundown Lake following Fisher’s itinerary in reverse as well as from the North Fork Skokomish Trail. National Park Service personnel who were already in the wilderness assisted with the search between Marmot Lake and Camp Pleasant. Olympic Mountain Rescue also joined the search efforts on Thursday and worked in the area of Six Ridge and the Seven Stream drainage area. The search continued Friday despite efforts being hampered by the cold, rainy and windy weather. Search teams covered from Sundown Lake to South Fork Skokomish Trail via Sundown Pass, Sundown Lake to the North Fork Skokomish Trail via Six Ridge Pass, and the North Fork Skokomish Trail from Staircase to Six Ridge. The focus of today’s operation includes searching the Wynoochee Pass Trail and the switchbacks in the Seven Stream area. Teams in the field are made up of Olympic Mountain Rescue and Tacoma Mountain Rescue volunteers with assistance from NPS personnel, Washington State Search and Rescue Planning Unit, and North Cascades National Park. Interviews are being conducted with backpackers who had wilderness permits in the areas on Fisher’s itinerary. A storm system continues to move through the Olympic Peninsula and has created unfavorable conditions for the use of aviation search resources. If you were in the area of Enchanted Valley, North Fork Skokomish Trail or Six Ridge between 9/8-9/16, or have any information regarding this individual, please call or text the tip line at 888-653-0009. Information from other day hikers and backpackers is often extremely valuable during searches. CALL or TEXT the ISB Tip Line 888-653-0009 ONLINE form www.nps.gov/ISB > Submit a Tip EMAIL nps_isb@nps.gov EMERGENCY dial 9-1-1 -NPS-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

RumiDude
stever

stever
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 8:31 pm 
Good news. https://twitter.com/USCGPacificNW/status/1439791269207625729

Cyclopath, zimmertr, ForbinsAscent, jaysway, Joey, seawallrunner, jditty, Malachai Constant, Randito, Bowregard, reststep, Tom, Exmoor, RumiDude, HikingBex, tinman, Pyrites  awilsondc
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Sep 19, 2021 9:21 pm 
Fabulous news. Sounds like no serious injuries. Rumi

gb

gb
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 5:45 am 
That is pretty amazing good news especially given how long he had been out:
Quote:
a few cuts and scrapes but otherwise in good spirits

jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 7:18 am 
So happy that he was found safely. What a great outcome. I do not know the area well, but I was just looking at what I am assuming his route was on Caltopo. I'm guessing that he was nearing the end of his loop, and that he took the primitive trail off of the North Fork Skokomish towards Six Ridge Pass and Lake Sundown but instead of making it to Lake Sundown he took the fork off the primitive trail on the Mount Olson Way Trail. This trail is marked on Caltopo but is not on the ONP Wilderness Planner. It looks like if you bushwhack you could probably connect the Mount Olson Way Trail to O'Neil Creek, but given that he had a reservation at Lake Sundown my guess is that this wasn't his intention and he mistakenly took the way trail instead of continuing to Lake Sundown. Anyway, this looks like it was a really ambitious loop. The above is just my curiosity about what happened and casts no judgement. Again, happy he was found.

RodF
bullfrog

bullfrog
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 7:38 am 
Videos of the rescue are here: https://twitter.com/USCGPacificNW

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 12:18 pm 
Monday September 20, 2021 11:56 PDT Olympic National Park News Release Search for overdue backpacker missing for a week ends with a rescue Port Angeles, WA—A search for overdue backpacker Jerren Fisher, who was missing for a week, ended Sunday evening with a rescue in Olympic National Park. National Park Service search and rescue teams made voice contact with Fisher at 4:36 pm on Sunday afternoon. With a break in the weather, the park requested assistance from the United States Coast Guard to locate Fisher and a helicopter from Port Angeles was dispatched. At 7:16 pm the Olympic National Park search and rescue teams spotted Fisher on a hillside in the Seven Stream drainage, just north of Six Ridge. A larger Coast Guard helicopter from Astoria, Oregon hoisted Fisher and transported him in stable condition to Olympia Regional Airport where he was taken to the hospital for medical evaluation and care. Special thanks to the volunteers from Olympic Mountain Rescue and Tacoma Mountain Rescue who aided the National Park Service in the search; to the Washington State Search and Rescue Planning Unit and North Cascades National Park for their support; and to the United States Coast Guard for their assistance in this successful outcome. Visitors are urged to plan ahead, hike smart, pack the Ten Essentials, and have an emergency plan—even for a day hike. Hiking is a popular activity through the fall and visitors are reminded to be prepared for changing weather conditions that can also affect rescue efforts. Consider learning CPR and basic wilderness first aid, especially if you are planning to hike in the backcountry. The search and rescue operation to locate Fisher began on Thursday, September 16 when he was reported overdue to park dispatch by a family member. Fisher had a wilderness permit for September 8-12 and was planning on camping at Enchanted Valley, Marmot Lake, Camp Pleasant, and Sundown Lake before returning to his vehicle via Graves Creek Trailhead. Park rangers located Fisher’s vehicle at the Graves Creek Trailhead and initiated a hasty search. Search and rescue personnel hiked into the wilderness Thursday afternoon from the Graves Creek Trailhead towards Sundown Lake following Fisher’s itinerary in reverse as well as from the North Fork Skokomish Trail. National Park Service personnel who were already in the wilderness assisted with the search between Marmot Lake and Camp Pleasant. The search continued through the weekend despite efforts being hampered by the cold, rainy and windy weather. A storm system across the Olympic Peninsula created unfavorable conditions for the use of aviation search resources until Sunday evening. --NPS--

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 pm 
Did anyone else notice the difference in the manner in which the subject was lifted up into the helicopter in this operation and the SAR rescue on Baring Mountain a couple weeks ago? In the Baring video, the "victim" and the SAR team member were lifted back up to the helicopter separately. In the Coast Guard video, both "victim" and SAR team member are lifted together. In the Baring video, they paid out a line to keep the "victim" from spinning around while being lifted. In the Coast Guard video, they're both spinning around like crazy all the way up.

DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 1:42 pm 
Ski wrote:
In the Coast Guard video, both "victim" and SAR team member are lifted together. In the Baring video, they paid out a line to keep the "victim" from spinning around while being lifted.
Look at the size of the Coast Guard helicopter. That winch is huge. Without an experienced line manager on the ground you cannot risk the tag line getting caught on something.

"May you live in interesting times"
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 1:56 pm 
Coast Guard Choppers are usually much larger than standard rescue ones.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Sep 20, 2021 3:39 pm 
The Coast Guard ship used is a version of a Blackhawk. Quite a bit bigger than even a Uh-1, Huey, or Iroquois, whichever you prefer.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!