Forum Index > Trip Reports > Merchant and Townsend 2021-09-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostSat Sep 25, 2021 8:47 am 
Merchant has been on my list for a while, but I've shied away from it because it sounded a bit sketchy. Turns out this is not the case at all. The loose gully makes for a slow descent, but it's not scary. There's a little bushwhacking coming up from Eagle Lake, but it's not bad. The southeast route is described in detail in this excellent report, so I won't describe it further. From Merchant, the ridge to Townsend looks really nice, so I decided to make it a two-peak day. It seems like a lot of people go this way, because there was a bit of a bootpath, and someone had even snipped a bunch of branches going up from the pass huh.gif. Rather than heading back to Eagle Lake from Townsend, I went a little past the summit and then straight down, connecting back to the fisherman's trail about a mile before the trailhead. This was steep heather and blueberries at first, then a short 'schwack, then mostly stable talus. Wish I could have stayed at the top for what looked like a great sunset. I've been to Eagle Lake from Barclay several times, and I'm not sure the backdoor route gives much advantage. If you're a fast hiker, it's either an hour of extra hiking or an hour of extra driving on a bad road that all but requires high clearance. As a plus, however, I didn't see a single person, and I'm sure Barclay was mobbed as always. Fall colors are really intense right now. The camera gets a little confused, and I'm finding I need to turn down the exposure a bit to avoid blowing the reds. But rest assured, I haven't messed with the saturation on any of these pictures.
Eagle Lake
Eagle Lake
Heading up from the lake to the Merchant-Townsend pass
Heading up from the lake to the Merchant-Townsend pass
Shortly after cresting the pass
Shortly after cresting the pass
Up the gully
Up the gully
Townsend
Townsend
Along Merchant's SE ridge
Along Merchant's SE ridge
Baring
Baring
Gunn
Gunn
Index and Persis
Index and Persis
Barclay Lake
Barclay Lake
Townsend and Merchant-SE peak
Townsend and Merchant-SE peak
Sloan and Monte Cristo peaks
Sloan and Monte Cristo peaks
Some color in the valley
Some color in the valley
Gunn
Gunn
Heading back to the pass after descending the awful gully
Heading back to the pass after descending the awful gully
Eagle Lake
Eagle Lake
Townsend's excellent ridge stroll
Townsend's excellent ridge stroll
Looking back at Merchant
Looking back at Merchant
Summit Chief, Chimney, Overcoat...
Summit Chief, Chimney, Overcoat...
photobomb
photobomb
Glacier
Glacier
Heading down Townsend
Heading down Townsend
Looking back up at Townsend
Looking back up at Townsend
On a talus finger that leads all the way to Eagle Creek
On a talus finger that leads all the way to Eagle Creek
Daniel and Hinman
Daniel and Hinman
Townsend
Townsend

ngie, Bluebird, Gil, Prosit, Nancyann, raising3hikers, Dave Weyrick, Mesahchie Mark, jaysway, awilsondc, zimmertr, Tom, hapemask, Snuffy, Cyclopath, ozzy, contour5, IanB, fourteen410, rubywrangler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat Sep 25, 2021 7:26 pm 
looks like you met the ravens too. when Cookie and I went to Townsend, the summit had more than a dozen ravens perching on the rocks around it.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Sep 25, 2021 8:36 pm 
Stunning photos. Thank you. smile.gif

Zloi

Zloi
PostSun Sep 26, 2021 9:52 pm 
Wonderful documentation of an ambitious trip. The road getting there for a start. It was gated earlier this summer, presumably because there's an unstable washout. But you must've been on your feet for quite a long day. You covered a lot of not easy ground.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Sep 27, 2021 6:22 am 
How was the road up there? I tried that route last year but there was a washout section and it was pretty gnarly. It looked recent, but it looked like traffic had ben through there. My outback bottomed out on the first obstacle, but I was able to back it out and ended up doing Gunn instead. I assume it's become more passable by now. Nice trip!

neek

neek
PostMon Sep 27, 2021 7:57 am 
awilsondc wrote:
How was the road up there? I tried that route last year but there was a washout section and it was pretty gnarly. It looked recent, but it looked like traffic had ben through there. My outback bottomed out on the first obstacle, but I was able to back it out and ended up doing Gunn instead. I assume it's become more passable by now. Nice trip!
There are some bad spots, maybe slightly worse than the Middle Fork. Wasn't a problem in the Tacoma, but an Outback might still scrape. There is a decent risk of small trees falling across this road, so bring a saw. Some day I may switch to small car + rugged e-bike for this sort of thing to get the best of both worlds.
Zloi wrote:
Wonderful documentation of an ambitious trip. The road getting there for a start. It was gated earlier this summer, presumably because there's an unstable washout. But you must've been on your feet for quite a long day. You covered a lot of not easy ground.
Thanks, surprisingly only 10 miles. Kind of sad that took me all day.
kitya wrote:
looks like you met the ravens too. when Cookie and I went to Townsend, the summit had more than a dozen ravens perching on the rocks around it.
The ravens were really active and made me wish I brought the DSLR!

Gil, awilsondc
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 5:17 pm 
Nice! I still need to visit both of those peaks.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.