Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Green colored stinging insect ground nest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Aug 24, 2023 6:32 pm 
^^^CJ - some wasps/hornets nest in the ground, maybe they used the folds in your tarps as a close enough facsimile. But maybe check out that loft for a paper nest somewhere, too. I got used to being stung when I kept bees, but a wasp or hornet sting is probably nastier. Ouch!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Aug 25, 2023 5:35 am 
We kept bees for a few years. Wasp stings are nastier. In the end I became very disillusioned with keeping non-native honeybees, and not just because I never really could overcome my instinct, honed over many decades of hiking, to run like hell when encountering a wasp nest. Early in the year the honeybees were mainly bringing in pollen from Scotch broom and late in the year from Japanese knotweed. In the meantime it was native bumblebees that were doing the majority of the pollination of the berries in our garden. Bumblebees were doing all the pollination of our native plants while the honeybees were generally attracted to non-native plants like rosemary. I’d rather leave what resources we have available for native bees.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

Ski
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 27, 2023 12:44 am 
Well, the swelling and itching are pretty much gone, the itching is worse than the pain. So the nest (tarp) is still laying in my carport so trying to figure out the best course of action. I really don't like using poison, my Mom had a bunch of weed killer, I won't use that either so got rid of all that. I heard that spraying soapy water on them will also kill them. Another idea I had was to back my car up to the carport door where the next is and the car's exhaust might get cause them to evacuate. I have heard that smoke will slow them down, make them sluggish, so I could then pull the tarp out and unroll it hence destroying their "nest"....of course I would do this at night while wearing protective clothing. I noticed that a trash can lid came off behind the carport creating a water source, which is rare here given the dry conditions so that might have attracted them...as I mentioned never really seen any here before or had a problem.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 27, 2023 4:38 pm 
Maybe I will just take the tarp-nest and put it in the across the creek or in the dry creek, or out next to the road with some free items I have out there? clown.gif Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Aug 27, 2023 11:03 pm 
Couple bees got me coming out from under that log!!!! They emerged form the log!!!!!!! I was coming down in the vicinty of the log!!! Suddenly bees emerged out!!!!! Couple bees got me coming out from under that log!!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Aug 31, 2023 9:37 pm 
Going up the Marten creek trail, stopped for a second...of course right next to a mud wasp nest...one hit my finger but no reaction....dodged that bullet. Then we came home and I had my son go move the tarp-nest out of the picnic area. He did so and didn't notice any hornets emerging from said nest. So a few minutes late I was out at the grill cooking steak and he was suddenly stung on the ear by a rogue hornet.... it was like it hunted him down. I was out at the grill cooking with full gear on, head net, gloves, etc...steak turned out great though.

Anne Elk
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Sep 01, 2023 1:37 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
he was suddenly stung on the ear by a rogue hornet.... it was like it hunted him down.
I had an experience like this in California with yellow jackets. I was killing time cleaning up some debris at my mother-in-law's house, when I picked up a piece of metal roofing lying on the ground. There was a wasp nest under there, and I immediately got stung by the guard wasp. I fled. As I was running around the pool towards the house, a second one got me. It had crawled under my shirt and got me near my armpit. They were flying around me but I made it inside with only two stings. I guess that second one got my scent and took it back to the nest. After that they started to hunt me. I was the only one home at the time. There were wasps waiting on the other side of both screen doors in the breezeway. Eventually my M-I-L came home and said "there are wasps in the breezeway, I've never seen that before." I explained what was happening. They had found a way through the screens to get me. We killed them. I called my sister-in-law and told her what was happening so she came by and got me after work. As I walked briskly from the house to her car, two yellow jackets followed me closely enough to make it into the car. She said "Wow! You're right! I'll get those out of here" and started to get out of the car. I said "no! Let's drive away first." So we drove a quarter mile and opened the car and shooed the yellow jackets out. Straight out of Hitchcock! eek.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Chief Joseph
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 01, 2023 4:12 pm 
Wicked and territorial little devils they are. I wanted to use a water hose with a soap attachment to eradicate them but our well is still dry. So my options are to wait or get some spray. While I was grilling last night one was buzzing around the florescent light fixture so I sprayed it with some cheap dollar store bug killer, it fell to the ground and I stomped it...one down.