Forum Index > Trail Talk > Palouse Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 9:54 am 
The state parks folks have closed off more of the Palouse Falls area. I haven't been there for about 5 years and they had chain link fence up which ruined it, in my opinion, but you still could get around to scramble down and over, which we didn't do. It was kind of bizarre when we were there, as there was a woman in a wedding dress? posing for photos on the cliffs above the falls. The photographer was scrambling all over the place. Here's a news article. https://www.krem.com/article/news/local/part-of-falls-closed-for-safety/293-bec64fcd-2af6-4b08-a528-98df2d29addd

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 10:18 am 
That is why we cannot have nice things. frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

flatsqwerl, Anne Elk
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 1:42 pm 
There are more details in this Seattle Times article: https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/parts-of-palouse-falls-state-park-closing-permanently-4-visitors-have-died-there/ "Because crowds at the park have increased over the last eight years, the commission voted to end tent camping, the only kind allowed there, and refocus the park on scenic overlooks. Palouse Falls was named the state waterfall in 2014, a step that has been credited with contributing to the jump from 46,000 park visitors about a decade ago to 200,000 visitors annually just before the pandemic. But state park officials said the increase in visitors coincides with the increasing popularity of social media." This is like the Big 4 ice caves problem, or the many hazards at Yosemite. Without permanent ranger patrols, the fences won't stop anything. Truly, the outdoors was much better before social media. People had to read books or use their own ingenuity to discover stuff. The last time I was there was a weekday in June of '91. The good old days - not a soul around. It started to rain so I decided to sleep in the back of the truck, in the parking lot. Next morning, the place was still empty. So peaceful. Biggest excitement of the day was, after crossing a Texas gate and coming around a corner, being stopped by a herd of cattle in the road. My dog started quivering so much it looked like he was trying to poop a peach pit.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

kiliki
mike

mike
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 2:57 pm 
May21
May21

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Feb 06, 2022 7:24 pm 
I don't agree with closing down more camping. There is a place where the Palouse meets the Snake which is now day use, but it looks like it once was a campground. It seems like an opportunity to make more money for the camping reservation company. rolleyes.gif I assume a Texas Gate is what we call a cattleguard?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Anne Elk
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 3:10 pm 
I wonder if the campground closure has more to do with lack of staff and lack of nearby law enforcement. Park/land managers will tell you it is heaps of trouble to run a campground without nearby law enforcement.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 3:59 pm 
kiliki wrote:
I wonder if the campground closure has more to do with lack of staff and lack of nearby law enforcement. Park/land managers will tell you it is heaps of trouble to run a campground without nearby law enforcement.
Probably. Those pesky WSUers want to party there. I just am upset about closing down public lands. It's true, we can't have nice things anymore. Maybe find heaps of money and blast in a nice trail in the area. It would be quite spendy, but we deserve nice things. We let people up Beacon Rock and Steamboat Rock. There are the Peshastin Pinnacles, and lakes. Lakes are dangerous also. It kind of reminds me of what a friend was told at Potholes. Potholes SP kind of hides their dumpster. At that time, about 4 years ago, they had no garbage cans out. Not even in the restrooms. You were to pack or haul your garbage to a dumpster near the boat launch. My friend mentioned to one of the park guys, that they needed to put out additional garbage cans. People were just leaving garbage around. The park guy said, "Well if we did, people would use them." That was the reason given for not having any garbage cans around.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 6:15 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
It kind of reminds me of what a friend was told at Potholes. Potholes SP kind of hides their dumpster. At that time, about 4 years ago, they had no garbage cans out. Not even in the restrooms. You were to pack or haul your garbage to a dumpster near the boat launch. My friend mentioned to one of the park guys, that they needed to put out additional garbage cans.
It's a thing now. When I was visiting my family in western NY, I made a trip to Letchworth State Park, my former favorite hiking spot. I was amazed by the changes - the # of visitors, increase in amenities, entry fee, and signs all over the place near picnic spots. No trash cans to be seen. I like the idea - people should pack out what they bring, except maybe spent charcoal. It seemed to be working - the park was clean; but western NY isn't "the wild West". But I didn't appreciate their placement of safety signs for snapshot purposes. They didn't used to be necessary. But people are stupider now.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 6:23 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Those pesky WSUers want to party there.
More likely they're Vandals.

mike

mike
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 8:52 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
The park guy said, "Well if we did, people would use them." That was the reason given for not having any garbage cans around.
A friend of mine runs the Marine St Pks up here. He said that before they pulled the garbage cans the rangers were basically garbage workers and spent all the time running the boat back and forth hauling garbage. If you bring it in, pack it out.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Feb 07, 2022 9:27 pm 
Don't think you understood, they had one compacting dumpster in an inconvenient place. If I'm paying $40 a night, I expect to have amenities like convenient garbage cans. It was more of a yes, we have a dumpster so you don't have to pack it out, but we've only got one and good luck finding it. This especially does not inspire me to pick up dog poop.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Feb 08, 2022 10:43 am 
I picked up litter on the beach at Cape Disappointment and found I had nowhere to throw it away. I didn't have a bag and so my hands were full of wet sandy dirty littler and there wasn't a garbage to be found. The NPS sites have garbage--yes you do need maintenance people to empty it. Our poor state parks are so badly funded. They know it and hate the funding structure that means they have to find ways to be self-sustaining.